Recruiting within the state of Texas for the Class of 2013 is moving fast and furious in the month of February.
LSU and Utah are the most recent offers for Torrodney Prevot.
During this past weekend, programs such as Texas Tech, TCU and Texas held junior days, while colleges from around the country made calls and extended verbal offers by the dozens.
Four at Taylor
Alief Taylor is home to one of the more athletic teams in the Houston area and features four FBS prospects in the 2013 class, and some very impressive young prospects for 2014.
The headliner of the group is defensive end Torrodney Prevot (Alief, Texas/Taylor). The 6-foot-3.5, 215-pounder picked a verbal offer from LSU on Friday and Utah on Sunday and an offer from Texas A&M may well come today with a call from Prevot to the Aggies staff. Kansas State, Baylor and Texas are among the growing list of programs also showing interest.
A second 2013 prospect with a verbal offer at the 5A school is safety Jonathan Wiggins (Alief, Texas/Taylor). The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder with the frame to grow into an outside linebacker at the next level has a verbal offer from Utah along with interest from Baylor, LSU, Kansas and others. He has talked on the phone with coaches from LSU and Kansas in recent days.
Defensive end/tackle Obo Okoronkwo (6-2, 215, 4.7) and running back Trevorris Johnson (5-11, 202, 4.6) are two others prospects in the junior class at Taylor receiving interest.
In the class of 2014, cornerback Chris Hardeman (Alief, Texas/Taylor) is already drawing looks from Utah, Baylor, Texas, LSU and others. The 5-foot-8, 180-pound physical corner with a 10.8-FAT 100-meter time to his credit as a freshman has been told by Utah that he will be offered after a game or two into his junior season.
Another offer for West Mesquite duo
West Mesquite 2013 prospects Kameron Miles and Eldridge Massington continue to pick up and offer or two per week. On Monday, Virginia became the latest program to offer the duo, who are both members of the 2013 Top247.
The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Miles now has verbal offers from Baylor, Ole Miss, TCU, Northwestern, Texas Tech, Virginia, UCLA and Oregon State. He will attend Texas junior day Feb 25 and possibly visit LSU in early March.
The 6-foot-3, 203-pound Massington adds Virginia to an offer list of Baylor, Ole miss, Mississippi State, TCU, Oregon State and Colorado. The athletic and powerful receiver will attend Texas junior day on Feb. 25.
Wade to pick up another
Hard-hitting linebacker Brett Wade (Kennedale, Texas) enters the week with six offers, but that is expected to change on Saturday with a junior day visit to Oklahoma State.
The 6-foot-1, 212-pound downhill defender currently has verbal offers from Baylor, Clemson, Kansas State, Missouri, North Carolina and Texas Tech with the Cowboys expected to officially enter the race this weekend.
Following Oklahoma State, Wade will attend junior day at Texas February 25. The Longhorns, TCU and Texas A&M are three of many more programs showing interest.
Kennedale fullback and linebacker Fred Scott (6-0, 225, 4.65) is another to watch at the 3A program south of Fort Worth. Programs are beginning to show interest in the versatile prospect with very good hands.
Two more offers for Hollins
Edge rush prospect Deon Hollins (Missouri City, Texas/Marshall) added two more offers in recent days. Kansas State offered early last week while Oklahoma State offered on Sunday.
The 6-foot-1, 220-pounder with an electric first step now has verbal offers from Arkansas, Duke, Nebraska, Northwestern, Stanford, Texas Tech and Tulsa along with Kansas State and Oklahoma State.
Hollins will attend junior day Saturday at Texas A&M and is expected to be offered and is scheduled to attend junior day at Texas on Feb. 25. Oregon, Notre Dame and a number of others are also showing interest.
Big Friday for Mitchell
The stock of class of 2013 defensive end and outside linebacker Mike Mitchell (Plano, Texas/Prestonwood) continues to soar. On Friday alone, the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder with 4.6-speed and a 38-inch vertical picked up offer from Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and TCU according to his father, Ken Mitchell.
Mitchell, who earned first team all-district honors at Plano West in 2011, attended Baylor junior day January 29 and is scheduled to be at Texas February 25. Florida remains the favorite of Mitchell, who grew up in the Orlando area.
Ekpe has two with interest growing
Defensive end Hendrick Ekpe (Lewisville, Texas) has a pair of offers from Big 10 programs with increased interest both regionally and nationally.
The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder has verbal offers from Minnesota and Iowa along with interest from Texas Tech, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and others.
Ekpe’s brother, Scott Ekpe, played on the defensive line in 2011 at Lewisville before signing and enrolling at Minnesota.
- Outside linebacker prospect Naashon Hughes (Killeen, Texas/Harker Heights) picked up offers from South Carolina and LSU on Monday. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound high school safety attended junior day at Texas February 12. The Longhorns, Oklahoma, Baylor and Oregon are among the many programs showing interest in the younger brother of Texas 2012 recruit Camrhon Hughes.
- National top 50 prospect Darius James (Killeen, Texas/Harker Heights) picked up a verbal offer from LSU on Monday to go with previous offers from Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Florida State, TCU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Mississippi State and SMU.
- Tight end Charlie Reid (Fort Worth/All Saints) will take in junior day at Texas A&M this weekend following Texas Tech on February 11. The 6-foot-3, 225-pounder will also attend TCU junior day February 25 and Rice March 17. Tulsa has also extended a junior day invite.
- Wide receiver Devin Lauderdale (Houston, Texas/Bellaire) is scheduled to attend junior day at Texas Tech on Feb.18 after committing to the Red Raiders on Monday. The 5-foot-9, 170-pound jet also has verbal offers from Baylor, Colorado, TCU, Texas A&M and Notre Dame along with interest from Oklahoma State.
- Wide receiver Prentavious Moorehead (Dallas/Kimball) will attend Texas Tech junior day Feb. 18.
- Tight end Jesse Brubaker (Wylie, Texas/East) has a junior day invite from Iowa State for March 3 along with interest from TCU, Tulsa and a growing list of others.