DALLAS, Texas- Explosive athleticism with the basketball can separate a point guard from his peers. This explosiveness is what Kaleb Joseph displayed Saturday at the adidas Exclusive Run.
Kaleb Joseph is an explosive point guard.
Joseph didn't play his best basketball on Saturday for Mass Rivals but the talent oozing off him was quite apparent. At 6-3, 185-pounds, Joseph has an extra gear that can get him into the lane and allow him to finish over and through defenders. He is tough going either direction and loves to set up his penetration with a hesitation move. Capable of scoring at all three levels, Joseph also has the ability to find open teammates while on the move.
Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Marquette and Connecticut are recruiting him the hardest and have offered. Duke is also involved with Joseph. He also listed offers from Seton Hall, Boston College and Tennessee.
Joseph expects to visit Syracuse and Connecticut in the near future.
More Recruiting Notes
* Goodluck Okonoboh is the next premier shot blocker to come out of the high school ranks. At 6-9, 220-pounds, Okonoboh is extremely athletic and has a thirst for protecting the rim. He will also chase down a rebound and shows flashes of scoring ability. Not too involved in his recruitment at this point but also wanting to end it this fall, Okonoboh said he will will visit as many of the schools on his list as he can before then. He did list Indiana, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas, Gonzaga, Missouri, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Kansas as the schools that he was aware of recruiting him.
* There can't be too many 2014 wing players who love to fill the lane and finish at the rim in transition with as much speed and authority as Namon Wright of Dream Vision. Wright, 6-4, 180-pounds, also handles well in the half court and has the potential to be a top notch defender. He listed Arizona, UCLA, Gonzaga and Arizona State as the schools recruiting him the hardest. Arizona conducted a home visit earlier this month, and Wright will unofficially visit the Wildcats in May. Gonzaga will visit him this week, and UCLA and USC will be into visit him soon as well. Oregon, Colorado and Florida State have also offered.
* Stephen Zimmerman is establishing himself as one of the top post players in the 2014 class. At 7-0, 215-pounds, he has tremendous length but is also highly skilled. The lefty is a good shooter with developing range and is comfortable with the ball as a handler and passer. With time he should be come a more physical presence around the basket as a defender and rebounder. UCLA, Arizona and UNLV are vigorously pursuing Zimmmerman. Kansas, UConn, Oregon and Memphis have also offered and are in the hunt. Michigan is trying to persuade him to visit and is waiting to offer until then.
* Nicholas Noskowiak of the Wisconsin Playground Warriors is a promising and polished 2015 point guard prospect. The 6-2 playmaker is strong with the basketball, quick on defense and a high level passer on the move. Iowa State has offered while Marquette is waiting to get him on campus before officially offering. Head coaches from Marquette and Creighton tracked him throughout the day.
* Noskowiak wasn't the only prospect on the Wisconsin Playground Warriors that Creighton and Marquette are tracking. 2015 post player Matt Heldt is also a target of the two programs. Creighton has also offered Heldt along with Northern Iowa, Toledo, Wisconsin Green Bay and Wisconsin Milwaukee. Although not putting much effort into recruiting Noskowiak, Wisconsin is more seriously recruiting Heldt.
*6-4 shooting guard J.P. Macura has offers from a host of mid majors including St. Louis. The high level shooter is also receiving strong interest from Creighton and Minnesota. The new staff at Minnesota has been in touch, and Macura will unofficially visit next week and meet with head coach Richard Pitino. Macura is hoping to receive a scholarship offer during the unofficial visit.
* Jamal Poplar of the the Michigan Mustangs isn't a physical player, but he is long at 6-8 and has a knack for putting the ball in the basket. Detroit has offered and is vigorously pursuing him. Poplar listed Purdue, Missouri, Indiana, DePaul and South Alabama as schools that want to track him on the circuit.
* Andy Kennedy of Ole Miss was the other head coach watching recruits at the event on Saturday.
More Prospect Notes
* 2015 6-2 shooting guard Jalen Adams of Mass Rivals impressed with his scoring ability.
* Virginia has a good one in wing prospect B.J. Stith, who has a mature and fairly complete game.
* Kelan Martin of Indiana Elite was more than Mass Rivals could handle. The 6-6 230-pound combo forward had his way with the Mass Rivals forwards, consistently taking them off the dribble.
* 2015 wing Damon Wilson is an intriguing prospect for Game Elite. The lefty impacts the game in a variety of ways and has midrange scoring capabilities.
* 2015 point guard Hyron Edwards will play so fast that he runs into trouble trying to finish, but he never seems to go to fast to find the open teammate.