In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 2042
Online now 1970 Record: 18710 (2/25/2012)
We aren't just committed to college football; we're early enrolling in it.
Where the madness isn't just in March.
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Here are my early 2014 in-state position rankings. Tell me what you think. What's good? What's stupid?
1) Wade Freebeck, 6-3, 195, St. Thomas Aquinas
2) Chase Litton, 6-5, 185, 4.83, Wharton
3) Alin Edouard, 6-0 1/2, 180, 4.7, Hialeah – Miami commit
4) Sean White, 6-2, 200, University School
5) Nicodem Pierre, 6-2, 207, 5.09, Coral Reef
1) Sony Michel, 6-0, 210, Plantation American Heritage
2) Dalvin Cook, 6-0, 190, Miami Central - Clemson commit
3) Joseph Yearby, 5-10, 195, Miami Central – Florida State commit
4) Johnathan Vickers, 5-11, 205, North Florida Christian
5) D’Ernest Johnson, 5-11, 200, Immokalee
1) Tony James, 5-9, 170, Gainesville
2) Brandon Powell, 5-8, 170, Deerfield Beach
3) Lamar Parker, 5-8, 152, 4.4, Booker T. Washington
4) Trey Rodriguez, 5-10, 174, Seabreeze
5) Charles Nelson, 5-8, 163, 4.64, Seabreeze
1) Ermon Lane, 6-2, 190, Homestead
2) Ryeshene Bronson, 6-2 1/2, 178, 4.72, Dunbar – Florida commit
3) Artavis Scott, 5-10, 175, East Lake
4) Corey Holmes, 6-0 3/4, 166, 4.48, St. Thomas Aquinas
5) Jojo Robinson, 6-0, 174, 4.41, Northwestern – Florida State commit
6) Travis Rudolph, 6-0, 177, 4.6, Cardinal Newman – Miami commit
7) Kendrick Holland, 6-3, 177, Winter Haven
8) Darrell Langham, 6-5, 190, Santaluces
9) Jacob McCrary, 6-0, 171, 4.51, Coral Reef
10) Johnnie Dixon, 5-11, 180, 10.6 100 M, Dwyer
11) Tre’Quan Smith, 6-2, 172, 4.58, Village Academy
12) Gabriel McClary, 6-3, 175, Winter Park
13) Tyre Brady, 6-2 3/4, 183, 4.8, Homestead South Dade
14) Gilbert Johnson, 6-4, 185, Miami Southridge
15) Adly Enoicy, 6-3 3/4, 224, 4.95, Atlantic
1) Kc McDermott, 6-6, 285, Palm Beach Central
2) Denzel Ward, 6-7.5, 302, 5.79, IMG
3) Reilly Gibbons, 6-4, 274, 4.64, St. Peterburg Catholic
4) Mason Cole, 6-4, 285, East Lake
5) Travaris Dorsey, 6-3, 295, Raines - Florida commit
6) Trevor Darling, 6-4, 307, Miami Central – Miami commit
7) Corey Martinez, 6-3, 295, Tampa Catholic
8) Jakari Bolton, 6-5, 270, Killian
9) Ray Raulerson, 6-4, 270, Plant
10) Isaiah Wynn, 6-2, 272, Lakewood
1) Blake McClain, 6-4, 257, Sandalwood
2) Chad Thomas, 6-4 3/4, 226, 4.93, Booker T. Washington
3) Keyon Brown, 6-1 3/4, 230, 4.78, Hardee
4) Justus Reed, 6-3, 200, Clearwater Central Catholic
5) Rohan Blackwood, 6-5, 210, Nature Coast Tech
1) Travonte Valentine, 6-4, 300, Bayside
2) Khairi Clark, 6-1, 326.5, 5.69, Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna
3) Anthony Moten, 6-4, 279, St. Thomas Aquinas
4) Demarcus Christmas, 6-3, 280, Manatee – Florida State commit
5) Chris Nelson, 6-3, 280, Victory Christian Academy – Virginia commit
1) Kain Daub, 6-1 3/4, 243, Sandalwood
2) Delvin Purifoy, 6-3, 215, Pensacola Catholic – Florida State commit
3) Andrew Beck, 6-3, 230, Plant City
4) Greg Miclisse, 6-1, 230, Bayside
5) Kevin Bronson, 6-3, 240, Village Academy
1) Dillon Bates, 6-2, 205, Ponte Vedra
2) Jacob Pugh, 6-4, 205, Godby
3) Michael Smith, 6-2, 210, Miami Northwestern
4) Tre Watson, 6-2, 205, Tampa Bay Tech
5) Vincent Jackson, 6-2, 220, Tampa Jesuit
1) Duke Dawson, 5-10 1/2, 188, 4.63, Dixie County – Florida commit
2) Chris Lammons, 5-9 1/2, 157, 4.63, Plantation
3) John Battle IV, 6-0 1/4, 171, 4.6, Hallandale
4) Kendall Randolph, 5-11 1/4, 163.5, 4.65, Lincoln
5) Kendall Sawyer, 5-11, 170, East Lee County
Hon Mention: Trumaine Washington, 5-9, 170, Killian (I don't know how fast he'll run so I'm not sure how heavily he'll be recruited, but the kid's a football player. I'm a big fan.)
1) Trey Marshall, 6-1, 185, Lake City
2) Kendall Gant, 6-2, 180, Lake Gibson
3) Darrion Owens, 6-3, 220, Oakleaf
4) Marquese Dudley-Gordon, 5-11, 175, Cypress Bay
5) Kyle Gibson, 6-1, 170, Armwood
1) J.C. Jackson, 5-9 1/2, 179.5, 4.8, Immokalee – Florida State commit
2) T.J. Harrell, 6-1, 192, 4.75, Tampa Catholic
3) Treon Harris, 5-11, 161, 4.48, Booker T. Washington
4) Quinton “Winky” Flowers, 6-0, 203, 4.72, Miami Jackson
5) Javon Harrison, 6-2, 193, Kathleen – Virginia Tech commit
This post was edited by SUGator51 14 months ago
I don't know about half of these names, but one thing I did notice is how high you have Denzel Ward. He definitely has the potential to be that high on the list, but he is really raw right now. Until he shows consistency I'd knock him down a few spots.
Agreed, he's not very good at football right now. But I think he's got the potential frame you see going high in the first round of NFL drafts. If/when it clicks, he'll explode. Everyone else in-state are surrounded by questions as to whether or not they'll actually be able to stay outside at the next level.
I totally agree. Ward's ceiling is through the roof. It's a shame he isn't committed to Michigan anymore.
This post was edited by TAMUWolverine 14 months ago
Are you guys still feeling good on Holmes? Dude's a crazy good athlete at a program that produces top-notch college football players year-in and year-out.
Yes, I think we are in a good position. Last time I checked we have a slight lead with him. He grew up a big UM fan and we were one of his first offers so we are in a good position. As of now I think we'll land him, but of course things can change.
It's also looking like things are trending upward with Michigan and Mason Cole. I don't take this for much, but his twitter feed is very pro-Michigan and he is visiting soon for one of our basketball games. And if we land Cole, I think we'll have a decent shot with Artavis Scott, but in the end I think they go their separate ways.
By the way, I watched the WR/DB drills that ESPN put out and Duke Dawson looked like an absolute stud. He seems to be a great get.
BornToBeRed said: WPS, just a head's up. We might be the most family-friendly board on the network, so take it easy on your normal wps-ness.
Whats can you tell me about Litton? Supposedly we are high on him but his legal issues needed to be sorted first.
Tall, athletic, and has a big arm; same HS team as VHIII and had good 7 v. 7 circuit with him; Has national interest but I think a lot of teams, like you said, are a little hesitant with the legal issues.
Solid list but I would have Cook as the No.1 RB, Darling as the 2nd best OL behind McDermott and Khairi Clark as the No.1 DT.
The best part will be when Miami swings and misses on Cook and Clarke
Technically they have already whiffed on Cook
fsufsu said... I've got about 10 great stories on Lane but all you need to know is he will never be a loser, that's for sure.
I would also put Harrison in the safety category and imo he is the #2 safety in the state
I would also put JC Jackson as a CB, and not Duke Dawson #1 but not sure who is #1 right now, but its not Dawson.... JC Jackson isn't gonna qualify at this rate either fwiw
Im not sure if Duke would make my top 3 at corner, solid list and fun to look at ( appreciate the work you put into it )
I also like the " real " heights and weights
Also I would have Denzel Ware somewhere on there, OLB or DE and Bates is not better than Vince Jackson at OLB
This post has been edited 3 times, most recently by NoVaNoles 14 months ago
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you noticed the updated heights and weights, I pulled the UA/AA combine reports to get those and I think it's worth it. For example, I love Bates, but does anyone really think he's 6'2 220-230 when you look at his 247 picture?
Honestly, I created the ATH category because 1) I wanted to rank more players, 2) I had no idea what to otherwise do with Harris and Winky.
I originally had J.C. Jackson as the #1 CB in the state (that's the first I heard grade concerns, tell me more) and T.J. Harrell as the #2 OLB. Harrison would have made the safety list somewhere, bumping Kyle Gibson who I'm not high on at all.
Disagree on Vince Jackson over Bates. I know Bates is white, but his film was really impressive. For Florida's defense, and I'm sure yours soon enough, I think he's tailor-made for the Sam spot. Conversely, I'd be very surprised if Jackson even gets offers from UF and FSU.
Ware I took off as soon he moved to Alabama, but he would have been in contention with McClain for Top DE. McClain at 6'4 275 is really impressive, and it's tough to ignore his coach recently telling 247 he'll be better than DeMarcus Walker. So if he was in it, I'd probably put him at #2 DE...top 15ish player in the state.
Like I said on the homeboard thread (I'll say it again to generate more discussion), in regards to the CB rankings, it's odd seeing such a weak group of CBs coming out of Florida this year.
There's usually 4-5 studs in each year's group but not this year. I'd take the 2015 CB (T. Cole) and the three Georgia boys (Green, Smith, Bessent (sp?)) over every 2014 Florida CB listed.
Florida does very well with instate DBs. And when we go out of state, it's been to Cali, Jersey & the Carolinas. I can't remember the last Georgia DB we landed.
The DT ranking is perfect, in my eyes. But I can see Clark over Valentine. It's too early at this point to know for sure. Clark is massive but I like Valentine more. And that's not because I'm a homer, seeing as though this kid is getting ready to decommit any minute now. Moten, Christmas and the Lakeland kid round out my top 5.
At this point, Gibbons is better than Ward. But if SU is projecting, than I totally agree. Ward has to be open to coaching bc he needs a ton of it.
Everyone knows I like Cook over Michel. Have seen Cook twice and the kid has been far and beyond the best player on the field each time. If he progresses from his Jr year to his Sr year the way he did from his So to his Jr, everyone will start seeing things my way. I admit, I haven't seen Michel live yet. Will do this year. Yearby is great but rightly ranked at #3.
An impressive WR group this year. I didn't know what kinda player we had in Bronson when he committed. Lemme just say that if this kid played in an open offense in HS, he'd be a top 50 national recruit. He's my best WR in the state. My top five would be Bronson, Scott, Lane, Jackson, Holmes.
Love seeing Tampa and Jacksonville produce studs. SoFla is loaded.
Hopefully JC and Gerry will give some input.
Great job on this, SU. Appreciate the time you put into it.
Oh, and give me Dorsey, Darling and Martinez over Mason Cole.
-The 2015 DB class of Florida is shaping up to be special, as good or better than this year's WR class.
-Valentine got the nod over Clark based on his larger frame. Little more upside with a guy who's 6-4 and can fill out more. At 6-2, 330, how much bigger will Clark get? Or does he need to shed weight? Love Clark, probably one of the most important kids for Miami to get, but that was my logic.
-Definitely trying to project how good they will be. I don't care to rank them based on how good they are in HS. If I did that, Sean White would probably be my Top QB.
-In terms of TE's, attached below is all I found. I thought about creating a flex TE category with Pierce, Enoicy, and Stephens.
JC Jackson is rumored to be terrible in the classroom, which is almost always the case with kids from that high school ( Immokalee )
Many have commented on it on a few boards I read, doesn't sound like butthurt either for obviously he is pretty high on the Noles even though I doubt he sticks with his commitment
Also the types of posters its coming from make it seem legit, rumors are this year has been bad and he will need a big turnaround as a senior to be eligible
I like the ATH category, just saying I think its safe to move said players to a position at this time
lolz at Bates, I do hate on him for being white but in terms of my actual judgement on where he should rank, interesting on Jackson though but for now he is one of my favorite LB's but I also don't know much about him.... and I keep forgetting that Ware moved
+1, Im starting to like Gibbons too.... I hope FSU gets him
The Cook over Yearby campaign is merely message board fodder where 40 times trump the skills that are harder to scout. JMO but there's a reason that over last two years when Miami Central has wanted to win games they've sent Joseph out there and fed him the rock while Cook cheers on.
As fans the 5'11 195 4.38 guy is who everyone wants. But the 5'9 195 4.5 guy is who the rock will go to. Cook is really good but Canes and others have tried to create this "Cook is way better campaign" and it seems like some have just started listlessly agreeing.
Gibbons running a 4.64 at 274 is bonkers. He got a nice little bump in my rankings for possibly being able to play LT at the next level, despite looking like a goober. Athleticism translates on the field, too.
Goes to upside/potential. I don't care about who the better HS back is right now.
You use the word reliable almost like you are trying to paint that he fumbles less and maybe has better understanding. But its instincts, vision, passion, balance that I am actually talking about. JMO.
I'd love to land Cook or Yearby just saying the Cook vs Yearby discussion has gone a hair past reality JMO JMO
Yeah, I expected people to disagree with the "big 3" at RB. I'd take any of them on my team. They're all fantastic.
For sure, and Cook may be better just dont like the argument becoming a landslide when reality isn't.
I like Reilly Gibbons, his dad said FSU offering this week was a "big deal" to Reilly and the family. Hopefully he gets on campus soon.
That's going to turn into a nice little in-state battle then. With Kc probably going to Miami and Ward probably going to UF, Gibbons is FSU's best shot at landing an in-state LT.
4-7 in the OL rankings was really tight. Guys I'd want to continue to see in person, possibly camp, and then go from there.
Darling could have been higher if he tightened up a little bit. He's a mauler, but he also has some bad weight.
Not sweating it. We finally found our combo for the midwest/PA/NJ region with Trickett, Napier and Sunseri. I think we land all our OL from OH, PA, MD, NC, SC, GA, VA, NJ, while they are together. We may take Wynn at center but I doubt it.
LT in this class needs to be Eluemunor and Prince. Just needs to be.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by fsufsu 14 months ago
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports