In partnership with CBSSports.com
We aren't just committed to college football; we're early enrolling in it.
Where the madness isn't just in March.
The place for discussion on the NFL
The place for discussion on college baseball
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Time to man up and make your vote official. No hiding, no games. Post what you believe and stand by it.
1) Yes or no, did Manti Te'o help orchestrate this Hoax or at least know about it.
2) IF YOU BELIEVE that Manti Te'o was in on this hoax and he knew about it, what was the motivation behind it on his end?
Explain your answer.
This post was edited by Red Goodman 18 months ago
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, nobody!"
Yes because he's gay and wanted to cover it up. Only story that kind of makes sense IMO
I agree with this. It is the most logical scenario. Parents ask about girls, he and lover make up a girl, parents ask about meeting girl, girl has to go away, media picks up on it, and he has to keep treading water.
Only problem with it is why couldnt they just break up. Why did the girl have "die"?
I think he might not have known for sure that something was up right away, but when he found out he was embarrassed. Instead of fixing the problem early, he let the lie snowball and it took on a life of its own.
3. His girlfriend and grandmother was the same person.
Seriously, though, I have no idea.
2. Covering up being gay makes the most sense at this point and its what I'm inclined to believe.
Yes and gay
Echoing what most here have posted, my first thought was YES he knew about it and purported to have a girlfriend to hide the fact that he is gay. I don't care at all if he is gay, but this lie got way out of hand and he has no one to blame but himself.
This post was edited by SkullyMaroo 18 months ago
God, give me patience today. If given strength I may beat someone to death.
- Teos father put unbelievable stress on him growing up to be the best. (started at birth)
- Teo admits to his family that he's fruity and is thinking of coming out, dad is furious.
- Teo knew he had to do something to right the ship, make dad happy.
- His dad still demanding excellence and not wanting to accept who Teo really is approves and encourages the fake GF story.
- Dad has already acknowledge GF publically so he goes along with the "she's dying" story.
- He's ok with it when he sees this hoax is doing wonders for the family trophy case.
- Son doesn't win heisman, Teo and dad fight, Teo thinks about coming out again.
- Dad threatens to 100% disown Teo if he goes public,
- Teo is lost and confused.
- Pressure is coming from all sides. Has to play his best game on Jan 7th, dad doesn't love me, my fake GF story is about to come out, he's ruined the image he's created.
- Teos teammates questioned him for months, years. Teo knows it's a matter of time before the world he helped create will come crashing down.
- Nerves set in even more, he knows he played along and it will come out.
- Teo is being coached on the best way to lie and make this go away to protect the ND image.
- He's asking himself, tell the truth or lie? Tell the truth or lie? Idk what to do...
- To be continued.................
Sorry for the spelling errors I'm in a hurry.
I posted this on another thread...
A scenario that makes sense to me is this:
Manti originally got duped by these people, embarrassed by the whole situation and the timely death of his grandmother (which he loved and was grieving) allowed him to get his fake girlfriend out of the picture (it wouldn't be hard to fake grief if you were already grieving) what he didn't know was how the media would pick this up and embrace him and his story...what he didn't know was that Notre Dame would use this story as a spring board for his Heisman Campaign...so now Manti' is stuck...the whole world has embraced him and his story, so he goes with it, his family has to back him up...it becomes bigger and bigger...Yes Manti' was duped originally, but Manti' also was complicit and continued to dupe America....
"It's what a brother would do for another brother"
+1. I'm all in with Goodman.
Of course he knew. He also knew that this would make him the most decorated LB of all time even though there were better LB's with better numbers on other teams.
Publicity. People have made sex tapes for publicity. People are definitely capable of creating a fake girlfriend and having her die.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports