In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 2594
Online now 2605 Record: 18710 (2/25/2012)
We aren't just committed to college football; we're early enrolling in it.
Where the madness isn't just in March.
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Fortunately for us and the rest of the B10, it appears you will get your wish.
Blind homerism is a beautiful thing. Let's forget this is Dantonio and MSU we are talking about, not the Vest and tOSU.
One program owned the midwest in recruiting and on the field for a decade. The other just seems to think they are on the same level.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by mriderblue12 14 months ago
Yeah, this is an awful hire. For those of you MSU peeps trying to ask questions like "What was his record at tOSU?" and "How many times did he beat Michigan?" you're forgetting some very important facts.
1. Ohio State's other assistant coaches. This includes Mark Dantonio (who more or less won us the national championship as a DC), Jim Heacock (who kept our defense elite after Dantonio moved on), Luke Fickell (Who turned 3 star linebackers into All American linebackers like it was nobody's business), Darrell Hazell (Who produced multiple NFL draft picks at WR, including an eventual Super Bowl MVP), Joe Daniels (who produced Heisman winner Troy Smith), and Tavor Johnson (Who helped develop some excellent corners like Malcolm Jenkins and Chimdi Chekwa). These guys were huge in making Ohio State an elite team.
2. However, as mentioned, there were a few Tressel assistants who were questionable hires. Tressel didn't like the idea of turnover. He was big on nepotism and he wanted guys who would stick around. One example of this is Nick Siciliano as QB coach. He was a video coordinator who had no history of being a QB coach. During his time as "QB coach" there was no notable differences in Terrelle Pryor's development. Bollman wasn't a questionable hire at the time (because he was plucked from a coaching job the NFL) but after several disappointing seasons from our offensive line (getting murdered in back to back national championship games certainly comes to mind), one has to wonder why he was retained. Hell, Alex Boone was a shitty lineman at Ohio State. Upon getting real coaching at the next level, he's finally doing good for himself. In 2008, we roped three 5 star offensive linemen (Mike Adams, Mike Brewster, and JB Shugarts). Two of them never got drafted (Brewster and Shugarts) and Adams was just a physical specimen, he would've been drafted regardless of who coached him in college. As has been mentioned here, Bollman did not recruit well. He blew the recruitments of long time Buckeye fans Kyle Dodson and Taylor Decker (until Urban Meyer came along and landed them).
3. Ohio State was landing 4 and 5 star players and finding diamond-in-the-rough 3 stars who blossomed during the Tressel era. Great players made for a great team and that sometimes can help an anemic offense.
4. Did you ever watch Ohio State's offense during that 10 year period? The only satisfying years offensively were 2006 and 2010. The rest of the time, we were fortunate enough to have a convenient homerun threat who made big plays and got us our scoring opportunities (Michael Jenkins, Tedd Ginn Jr, Maurice Clarrett, Terrelle Pryor, Beanie Wells, Santonio Holmes). We were a big play offense. We lived and died by running backs breaking off 50 yard runs or QB's throwing deep. We weren't a drive-down-the-field-at-5-to-7-yard-increments type team. Most of the time, our defense won us games. If we did blow out an opponent, it was typically a shitty team like Indiana or Minnesota. Against other elite teams, we were subpar (USC 2008, LSU 2008, Florida 2007), mainly because our offensive line couldn't stand up to physical defensive lines and the pocket was always collapsing.
5. Just watch your offense. That's all I have to say. You'll spend the next 7 months insisting that we're just delusional Ohio State fans. Then you'll watch your first big ten conference game and think "Oh, shit." Just wait and see.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by buckeye_mikey69 14 months ago
I remember your guys moving the fb down the field and winning games. Pryor was on all sorts of high light clips. Am I to assume that those good moments were always someone else, and all the bad was 100% Bollman?
If you guys could barely stop Roushar, what makes you think you'll be able to stop our new upgrade at OC?
Those good moments were a 6'6" mobile QB (who can run 40 yards in 4.33 seconds) escaping a collapsing pocket and using his otherworldly athletic ability to make something happen. Like I said, we were blessed with some elite talent to overcome our shortcomings.
Yes, Bollman was completely responsible. Please hire him.
Well, they have Maxwell.
Man you really are off balance son, what are you guys gonna do when your precious RB recruit has to go to military academy next year?
With our OL, my grandma would be able to run for 150 against that brand new front seven you guys will be sporting.
Keep thinking that.... we'll see what you're excuse is after you lose again, We own both programs.... dUMb is terrible and calling MSU that is disrespecting the lofty status I just put you guys at
You guys will have at least two losses before you even reach AA. Book it.
You guys had 10 points last year I thought.
Could be mistaken (I'm not mistaken).
Great Hire Steve Shitter
You know you are gonna cheer us on in the B1G championship game, Two losses? point those out on the weak ass schedule we have next year if you would please.. also, so you dont feel left out you are included when I say weak a$$ schedule.
This hire solidifies Michigan as a lock to beat Sparty yearly. This may be Dantonio's undoing. Terrible hire. Bollman is a good man but he got lazy the latter part of his career. He's not innovative whatsoever on offense. He believes in the bare minimum of offensive linemen. His play book consists of a few plays on a piece of toilet paper.
I honestly don't know what Dantonio was thinking.
This post was edited by ImperialBuckeye 14 months ago
And I shall rejoice in victory for another 365 days over That School Up North.
Cheer you on? Not gonna happen. I will be too busy cheering on the Maize & Blue. Besides, I don't see you even reaching the BTCCG with a 5-3 record. My guess is we'll be facing those pesky Badgers.
This post was edited by MrWoodson 14 months ago
Lolz. With the amount of turnover they have, a brand new coaching staff and playing in C-Bus? You are one crazy guy. The biggest challenge will be Northwestern IMO. I anticipate both our teams going to the BTCCG. tOSU is going to beat you guys twice this year. Count on it.
Ain't beating us in the Big House (hasn't been done yet under Hoke). But this isn't the thread for that discussion, ITT we talk about Bollman being a terrible hire.
There's 0% chance he is worse than Roushar.. so I like MSU's chances annually against UM
This whole thread just proves that a team could hire a steaming bag of dog crap and fans of that team will defend the hire because he's "theirs."
When virtually everyone else besides Sparty is criticizing the move, red flags should go up. Enjoy your new coach.
Hasnt been done yet under Hoke? What a ridiculous comment, so you are taking the one year we played UM in AA with Hoke as HC and barely lost mind you and using that as (hasnt happened under Hoke) To quote Rocket-Play you sir are a Funking "Moran" Your point actually has to do with Bolls, he was the OC for us at the time, keep in mind it was one of the worst season OSU has had in years.... You better find a DD to drive you home tonight with that shiz you are talking you have to be highly intoxicated.
Yes. MSU fans, particularly those on the RCMB, have an undying loyalty to their coaches. That's why we've never had a thread titled "FIRE [coach's name] !!!!" ever before. Very rational, loyal bunch.
this is a thread to make fun of sparty for being idiots, mediocre, and little sisters
We have plenty of time to for Hoke fats jokes etc....
Hoke is like 15-0 at home. Until that changes I'll take my chances every week with Michigan.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports