In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 2352
Online now 2377 Record: 18710 (2/25/2012)
We aren't just committed to college football; we're early enrolling in it.
Where the madness isn't just in March.
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
1 it's a message board
2. I do have opinions about recruiting. Just not the same as you and that gets you angry. So regardless of that Im allowed to on a message board.
3. I love the fact you have to comment on everyone of my posts and start threads specifically about me on your board. I've pretty much put a tent inside your head. I don't believe I'll be starting a thread in regards to you anytime soon.
4. You are the fan that would argue scoreboard results and that's amusing.
That's odd, because I thought the Sparty argument was that stars don't matter. Why would you hold a player back for a year to increase his star value if stars don't matter?
How can you have opinions about recruiting when you don't follow it? I guess that would make them uninformed opinions, right?
Classic having a decent discussion and then this guy comes in..
it's not about "raising their star value", it's about the player getting more time in the system, practicing, more college weight room time, blah blah blah, etc.
"If you're worried about Wolverine fans, just move to Pasadena. You'll never have to deal with 'em."
Really, is that worse than someone claiming a team can't win because the opponent is wearing pro combat unis?
No matter the talent level, the Michigan/MSU game will be competive almost every year.
Michigan's bad year in recruit rankings would be msu's best year. We have to live with that and do our best. That's for sure. Hoke is a coach that seems to motivate his players. So far I'm impressed with what I see.
Sue me for saying regardless of all of that, I'd still take our roster and staff over yours going into next year given the choice. That may change, but nit this year.
Peter is right.
I'd rather have a 23 year old playing for me that came in as a three who has had five years of strength, conditioning and coaching then a second year four star. I'm thrilled MSU has finally been able to do that.
I didn't claim that. But good deflection to take away from his stupid prediction. Said the team would be ready to play, regardless of the bye week.
Shit, if you threw that out, let's all remind xxmgobluexx that he still has his alma mater to root for even if Michigan struggles
Yeah, because we play Michigan every single week of the season.
no I'm reading what all the "informed" people say about these kids. You know, the guys that have watched all the film on them.
So much for having a decent discussion.
Pro combat bump.
1. The "recruiting sites" just try to appease the biggest fanbases is something small fanbases say, but it doesn't make it true. They generally want to be right about a kid so they are trusted in the future. Scout has been inaccurate and it is hurting for it (from what I can tell. I disagree that it is all about appeasing fanbases. In fact, they often rank kids before those kids even narrow their list. You think they reach out to the kids first to see if they have USC on their list and then rank them high...or do you think they rank the kids based on objective analysis? Please give me some evidence they weight their rankings toward "elite" schools. If MSU picks up a kid (or any BCS school) he usually gets a bump from no stars to a 2 or 3 star player. The sites "put him on their lists" at the bottom rung. But, they don't rank guys as 4 stars and 5 stars AFTER they commit to a big-time program, just to appease those fans.
2. No one here has said that a 4 or 5 star will be great their first year. Some people HOPE that, but no one predicts it. At most, you might say you think he will play right away, but not that he is going to be an All-American.
3. Likewise, I apply predictions based on stars the same (depending on the position). I think Kalis could play this year, but I don't think he will be near as good as Lewan. For MSU, some high ranked WR may play, but I don't think they are going to be near as good as Cunningham, etc. in the way of production. There is nothing inconsistent there.
THE REAL PROBLEM for MSU's passing game (and offense as a whole) is that it needs MULTIPLE young guys at the skill positions to play really well as inexperienced players. (i.e., x-factors at QB, WR and to a degree RB all have to work out in some degree to come close to last year's offense). While at Michigan, there is one new guy on the DL and a new guy on the OL and a couple new WR. They have other guys at the same position that ARE experienced. (It is especially hard for QBs, since they play alone and are so important.) So, Kalis may be a "below average" B10 player at his position, but UM can still have a good offensive line in spite of that. Everyone has weak links.
The talent gap is widening? I guess we'll have to find out if this is true on the field. I'm confident in Coach Dantonio's ability to find talent and his ability to coach them up, are Michigan fans sure Hoke and his staff is good enough to do the same? I believe the gap is not enough until I see it on the field then we'll talk a few years from now to see.
Who would that be? You don't follow recruiting. You don't read the recruiting websites. You rail against the great magazine conspiracy at every turn, so I would find it odd if you read those. Who have you read lately that watches all this film? Can you provide a link? I do follow recruiting and would love to see where you get your superior information.
Michigan at home and pro combats, and michigan fans were hoping for us to be un prepared. Jerseys are a big deal to players. We were ready to play, obviously. 28-14.
There is little if any talent gap right now, MSU's defense may have more talent.
Sure UM played well..
but it was only a 7 pt game when Neb fumbled the opening kickoff in the 2nd half- UM TD.. next possession- Neb Punter fumbled snap- TD UM
So in the matter of 5 min to start the 2nd half, two unforced errors by Neb made the game a 7 pt one to a 21 pt one and a blowout..
Pro combats are the key to otpt, the gift that keeps on giving.
I never said "the game is over" that is just your over-generalization of my point to try to discredit it.
Busch league arguement style.
I have argued that MSU will not be able to get as much talent because both schools start their talent gathering in Michigan and Ohio and Hoke is killing it there. There are only so many talented players outside the region who want to live in Michigan and even Michigan, with its national brand, only gets a couple really good guys. Add Meyer at OSU and it is going to be tough sledding on the recruiting trail that Dantonio has never experienced. (He came in against a retiring Carr and a Florida-centrist RichRod.)
As the talent gap widens I think State will lose more games. I mean, presuming UM is no longer a pushover without RichRod (and the same for OSU), MSU will likely lose a little more often for that reason alone. If you factor in a talent drop, then they probably drop a little in other games too. Even in their best years and recruiting the heck out of the state of Michigan (for MSU), they still got blown out a couple times each year.
Dantonio has done a good job as coach, but if the talent level does not jump up on the team, I see it being more like Ferentz at Iowa. He is the only coach at a "mid-talent" team in the B10 to have multiple 10-win seasons in a row. He couldn't keep it up forever and now has an concessional good year and is usually at 7 or 8 wins. (Neither Dantonio nor Beileima have been around long enough to prove anything else is possible.)
This post was edited by Peterklima 21 months ago
Where have I said that RSing = a star bump? That's a serious question. I've said that it helps the team, because the players are more physically developed (especially in the trenches), but I can't recall saying that RSing a player turns a "3-star" into a "4-star".
Michigan State does not and will not run the 3-4 defense.
I would laugh at your no allegiance to the school you have posted about 9,000 times, but then I kind of feel bad for you.
2012- Neb finished #25 with a class of only 17
2011- Neb finished #15 with a class of only 19
Think it's safe to say, their recruiting has been good and much better than most teams in the B1G..
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports