Budget

Budget

• Just happened to run across a column from Bob Keisser in the Press-Telegram (https://www.presstelegram.com/2019/05/11/keisser-stars-of-the-long-beach-state-mens-volleyball-title-team-moving-on/) which, not surprisingly, is largely focused on the Sharks/49ers/Dirtbags/Whatever they are, but about halfway through he throws out a nugget about Fullerton basketball.. He claims that "sources say" that the Titans' basketball budget is going to be increased substantially at baseball's expense. Has anyone (Kirk?) heard anything about this?

• Discussion
  • I'm guessing that nice payday for making the NCAA's, even with a first round lost, coupled with three years of BWT success might have something to do with that if true. Comparative economics in today's sports world is obvious, but to shift funding emphasis from a jewel that has sparkled brightly for over 40 years is a serious roll of the dice if that intelligence has any foundation.

Reminds me of after our '78 Elite 8 run recruiting emphasis was raised to go after higher caliber talent. Result was for the most part coming in second place and the rest is history for the remainder of the Bobby Dye/Mel Sims Titan era. Regardless, Dye remains my favorite Titan coach of all time.

• He also says Dave Serrano might get the Long Beach job and then takes some shots at the Fullerton baseball program. And of course, while we have never had a losing D-1 season, it doesn't apply to D-2 In fact, Augie Garrido had a losing season his first year at Fullerton

• I think there were be a lot of new info coming out before June 1. Stay tuned.

If there are extra funds coming to MBB, that's wonderful. I am sure, however, they will NOT be coming at the expense of baseball.

Baseball is still king at CSUF.

• KirkSR said... (original post)

Baseball is still king at CSUF.

I'm curious if this is still going to be the case. I mean, if we don't embrace a coach (or staff) that leans on advanced metrics and wants to rely on the old way of doing things, then we haven't reached rock bottom yet. Like Long Beach has. We still haven't got to the part of the movie where there is a guy listening to Sister Christian while his cabin boy is lighting fireworks. Fun note, that reference is so woefully outdated, too old for the youth of today, yet too young for the median age of this board.

The thing is. You have to show the fan base you're serious about baseball. Otherwise it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

• Just curious why anybody around Fullerton would choose to believe anything written by Baghdad Bob Kaiser, the disseminator of misinformation, notorious Long Beach homer and somebody for whom the next time he either checked facts or had them checked for him, it would be the first time.

• @Kirk - Still looking like good news is pending? Hope so ??.

• Burton2012, I'm not sure what you're looking for?

Individual program budgets are never announced, only speculated upon.

If Mr. Donovan chooses to send more money Basketball's way, I will be delighted. However, I repeat, it will not come at Baseball's expense.

• I reread my post. I can see that it was ambiguous.

I was more referring to coaching changes. We now now that Chad Baum is headed to FC, and that the two Men's Basketball positions have been filled.

I apologize if you were expecting something different.

• No worries and thanks for the update. Thought maybe we were breaking ground on a new arena. ??. Keep winning and they will come ??.

• Burtonin2012 said... (original post)

No worries and thanks for the update. Thought maybe we were breaking ground on a new arena. ??. Keep winning and they will come ??.

No, no. We're a long way from that, but at least Fram has said the arena word out loud.

• Wow, my wow is for Fram. We are lucky to have such a great President. (of the university not ...)

• KirkSR said... (original post)

No, no. We're a long way from that, but at least Fram has said the arena word out loud.

I also heard that with my own ears. The notion has apparently passed some kind of important technical hurdle under his watch. Still LOT's of wood to chop, public university stuff. And, of course, lots n lots n lots of money needed.

Huge fan of Fram as well. We got ourselves a good one, potentially the best since Dr. L. Donald Shields.

This post was edited by dahozzman 4 months ago