Thinking Ahead

Thinking Ahead

• We already know that this coming season will be a transitional year with the loss of our two best guards to graduation.

Now we throw in the loss our top two assistant coaches and recruiters.

Could this lead to some initial dysfunction, or could it end up being a shot in the arm to the program?

• Discussion
  • I think a shot in the arm. CDT's success has the potential in a lot of areas - with the right help.

• Obviously the staff hires will be critical but there are good options out there :). Names I would love to have in the mix - Perry, Yaphett, Kareem, Andy back as Associate Head coach, others?

• I think I can say with some confidence that neither Perry nor Andy would be interested in assistant coach jobs anywhere.

They are both having considerable success as head coaches.

• I agree about Andy but Perry should be open to the right assistant coaching job, especially if it's a year or three from getting the head coaching job. Unfortunately I don't think CDT would be looking Perry's way.

I also think that Smith was a key factor in getting the kids so he is a huge loss. He was also a great mentor to CDT so it hurts doubly.

That said, I think, with the recruits coming in, it's not that much of a transitional year. Yes we lost two players but Allman was way better his junior year, but I think the coaches could have had a much better offense to help him deal with the double teams. CDT would be wise to get an offensive minded assistant and we could be competitive.

This assumes Vince Lee makes a full recovery from whatever injury he had and we don't lose any of the other recruits. Would be nice to get a backup point guard to replace Jamal Smith assuming he will be following his dad as he should. Will also need to see even more improvement from Arnold, Pitts and Wang.

• Who we hire to replace assistants that left and what they bring to the table will go a long way in determining what kind of year we can expect. On the surface of thing I’m expecting a painful year without our top two scorers. Hope I’m wrong.

• I'm not going to hold my breath on this one. We are CSUF. I think the best we might get is a competent asst. coach with local recruiting ties.maybe even bringing a JCGUY with him. I expect Hope, Bethesda, Sisters of Mercy, and Cal Maritime on the schedule. Long beach sucks.

• As I reflect back on last year, I struggle. Its not that we failed, not by any means. Its that we waffled. The following player did not, in my opinion, get better: Kyle, Khalil, Jackson, Austin, Davon, Dominik, Amel (from start to finish), Gaber. Wayne Arnold did get better from start to finish, but it was nothing like you would expect from a 3.3 Star freshman.

Josh and Johnny did get better, but there was nowhere for them to go backwards. The only player that I clearly saw playing better than the prior season was Jamal Smith in his last few games. The team went nowhere compared to expectations, and they dropped over 40 places in the national rankings. I just don't know how you do that with only one player graduating, one who was not one of the four best on the team.

I see Coach Taylor as a father figure, as a mentor, and as a leader of young men. And I think this program is blessed to have the opportunity to bring in two new assistant coaches, because last year did not show much, if anything, in the way of in-game coaching.

I look forward to change...

• SoCalTitanJ said... (original post)

As I reflect back on last year, I struggle. Its not that we failed, not by any means. Its that we waffled. The following player did not, in my opinion, get better: Kyle, Khalil, Jackson, Austin, Davon, Dominik, Amel (from start to finish), Gaber. Wayne Arnold did get better from start to finish, but it was nothing like you would expect from a 3.3 Star freshman.

Josh and Johnny did get better, but there was nowhere for them to go backwards. The only player that I clearly saw playing better than the prior season was Jamal Smith in his last few games. The team went nowhere compared to expectations, and they dropped over 40 places in the national rankings. I just don't know how you do that with only one player graduating, one who was not one of the four best on the team.

I see Coach Taylor as a father figure, as a mentor, and as a leader of young men. And I think this program is blessed to have the opportunity to bring in two new assistant coaches, because last year did not show much, if anything, in the way of in-game coaching.

I look forward to change...

Good post although I would say that Austen, for a good stretch, really improved and then digressed towards the end. I can only think this had to do with the dynamics on the team so hopefully that issue will resolve itself next year. I also believe team dynamics and off-court issues were the cause of under-performing at the beginning of the year.

Like you stated, CDT has a great opportunity to bring in two assistants. Admission for at least one of them should be to bring in a top talent who can help immediately.

• Going into this year's season, our weakness from the past year was obvious -- lack of three-point shooting. Coach Taylor needed to go out and recruit a JC player who could make the 3-point shot. He didn't and the results were obvious. In 2007, another coach was faced with that issue and he recruited Josh Akognon and it turned into a wonderful season.

I have to believe the 2017-18 season was an aberration and I'm skeptical about the future.

• TitanMike said... (original post)

Going into this year's season, our weakness from the past year was obvious -- lack of three-point shooting. Coach Taylor needed to go out and recruit a JC player who could make the 3-point shot. He didn't and the results were obvious. In 2007, another coach was faced with that issue and he recruited Josh Akognon and it turned into a wonderful season.

I have to believe the 2017-18 season was an aberration and I'm skeptical about the future.

In fairness, Wayne Arnold was brought in to be our outside shooter. His HS numbers, particularly behind the arc were impressive.

Unfortunately, Arnold failed to live up to expectations in year one. Hopefully he'll be refocused next season, and will help to fill the void left by Ahmad and Allman.

• It's difficult to be consistently successful when you have two players, both guards, taking half the shots and scoring half the points. I guess that's how it has to work when you have two players who are so much better than your other players and It worked well for three days last season but as Mike mentioned, that was likely an aberration.

The key is to develop depth and balance and, of course, better three-point shooting. UCI went nine deep with nobody averaging more than 26 minutes a game. It is probably too much to hope that we will have that type of depth next season, but it should be easier for more players to get minutes and shots without Ahmad and Allman on the court. Perhaps players will blossom in that type of environment. I still have hopes for Arnold. Remember, Allman didn't do much his freshman year either.

• Maybe this guy is eligible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_Ix3HPmlo