Suckered back in...

Suckered back in...

• After Julius Randle and Kobe went down, I'd be surprised if I watched a grand total of 20 minutes of Laker basketball the entire season.  It was excruciating to even read about.

I have to admit that I watched the 30 minutes of drama yesterday to see if the Lakers would receive a top 5 pick, or have to give it away and to watch fate stick a fork in this once dominating franchise.  After holding my breath until the 6th selection passed, I was more than delighted to see them come up with a # 2 pick.  I'm sure that the NBA conspiracy theory folks will have a field day with that.

In any case, a # 2 pick means that they can get one of the two big men out there:  Jahlil Okafor from Duke, or Karl-Anthony Towns from Kentucky.  I would be very happy with either one.  Coupled with that, the Lakers have the #27 and #34 picks as well.  One of those picks might be trade bait for a veteran player.  I would strongly consider Alan Williams from UCSB with the #34 pick, or even to trade down to get him.  While limited in many ways, he can rebound, rebound, rebound off the bench and play credible defense.  That certainly worked with Kurt Rambis and Happy Hairston.  Not everyone needs to be a scorer.

Assuming that Randle is healthy, and Jordan Clarkson continues to improve as an NBA player, the Lakers are starting to build a nucleus.  Hopefully they can add at least one quality free agent, and that Kobe won't be too much of a pain in the ass or a one year distraction.  Jeremy Lin and several others need to go far, far away.  Kupchak should take a short drive out to see Bobby Brown in the Drew League.

Anyway, after a year absence, I'm back in the fold.  Could the Rams be far behind?