Duke Recruiting (Class of 2021)

Duke Recruiting (Class of 2021)

• When Mack Brown took over at UNC, he let Fedora's not so talented recruits know that UNC will honor their scholarship. However, at the same time he told them that they will probably not play a lot and therefore they should look elsewhere. A whole bunch of recruits decommitted right away and Mack was able to sign more talented players.

Courtney Banghart told several players with eligibility left that their scholarship would not be renewed for the next year and they ended up transferring. Worked out well for her because her 2020 class is top ten and so far she has three five star players from the co 2021. Long time UNC fans may complain at first, but they are liking the results.

• I seriously doubt and hope that Coach Kara didn't pull their scholarships. I think it is much more probable that she simply had an honest, come to Jesus conversation and these young ladies realized that they would probably not play much at Duke with the type of recruits Kara is prioritizing. If I was their parents I would much rather an honest conversation early rather than being handled and told what I want to hear.

I am not trying to be captious but honestly I didn't think either Rewers or Walker was going to contribute much at Duke. I could be wrong of course but Duke has got to get a better level of athletes to return to its former glory. I thought Marisa who I have watched play in person could possibly have helped but maybe not much until her upper class years. I wish all 3 the best in continuing their basketball endeavors.

• KarWest said... (original post)Pollerd remove all Duke stuff from her Instagram (it was in her bio).

NOOOOOO!!!

She’s the one recruit I still want to come. She’s a 6’3 sharpshooter! You don’t find many of these. She’s Australian, so def way underrated by the recruiting experts. I wish she’d reconsider

• meeklosh said... (original post) NOOOOOO!!! She’s the one recruit I still want to come. She’s a 6’3 sharpshooter! You don’t find many of these. She’s Australian, so def way underr...

Pollerd hasn't made an official announcement that I've seen. She probably hasn't decided, yet. Also, it is possible for a player to de-commit and then turn around and re-commit. See Tapé, Patrick. I'm still holding out some hope on Pollerd, because I agree that a tall stretch wing could be successful at Duke.

• meeklosh said... (original post) NOOOOOO!!! She’s the one recruit I still want to come. She’s a 6’3 sharpshooter! You don’t find many of these. She’s Australian, so def way underr...

• Kara had nothing to honor she had no agreement, maybe Duke did.

• I don`t like this practice no matter which coach does it.

• Commits have been known to ask out of their commitments due to coaching changes. Hopefully the transfer can find a new school in a matter of weeks.

• If the player opts out on their on that is okay. My problem is if they still want to come to a school after a coaching change then the school should honor that commitment. I know every coach wants their own players but I don`t agree with the way coaches do things like this. If I remember correctly when Coach Cut took over he honored all the commitments from the previous coaching staff. To me that is classy.

• EarlStruckJohn said... (original post)I hate Duke not honoring an official offer and committment. Bad form because these ladies gave their word when Duke was turned away by everyo...

I have been wondering what happened since all these young ladies began to decommit. Look at Maris Davis Jones fathers' (Charles Jones) tweet this morning: https://twitter.com/Laurenw_924/status/1285269671927783427. With almost all of McCallie's commitments now gone, I wonder if Sara Anastasieska is next?

• Looks like he has removed his tweet. But he was responding to the nspireme post that said Lauren Walker didn't want to play for a coach of color. I have a screenshot but don't know to post it. But is it said:

"My black daughter just decomitted as well. Take you ignorance elsewhere please. It's hard enough these kids are no longer wanted at a school they chose and gave commitments to!"

If someone knows how I can insert a screenshot I will upload it.

• Like I said - Duke issues a wriiten fancy official offer to athletes. It’s obviously a worthless piece of paper. This practice should stop and be the cost of piss poor AD program management that caused the change to begin with. When the music stops there may not be available chairs for these ladies who committed to Duke when no one else would.

This post was edited by EarlStruckJohn 6 months ago

• 7074redblue said... (original post)If the player opts out on their on that is okay. My problem is if they still want to come to a school after a coaching change then the school sh...

A few of the die hard UNC fans expressed the same sentiment when Banghart told several players with eligibility left that their scholarships would not be renewed. But once the high caliber recruits started committing, not a peep was heard from these fans. Looks like winning was chosen over classy.
  • For many of you that wanted an elite program...this is what an elite program looks like in 2020....live with it....I too would prefer we honor commitments for the previous coaching staff as a matter of principle but its about winning and championships going forward and how Coach Lawson will be judged....it's her program now and she will be judged accordingly by her winning record...

• Well now Kara has at least 6 open scholarships....

• BlueBlood1987 said... (original post)For many of you that wanted an elite program...this is what an elite program looks like in 2020....live with it....I too would prefer we honor ...

Remember, universities and coaches cannot comment on recruits or players who have given verbal commitments; they can only comment on players who have signed and submitted their letters of intent. So right now, we have recruits and their family members/friends able to tweet but without Coach K(ara) being able to respond.

That being said, it would not surprise me if the players were told scholarships would be honored, but it would be extremely unlikely that any of the players would ever see significant playing time or contribute in a meaningful way on the court. In this case, the player may look at it as a "constructive" rescinding of an offer.

• jenez said... (original post)Well now Kara has at least 6 open scholarships....

There are only 10 players listed on Goduke so looks like there are room for 5 more. Not sure where these players would come from in such a short period of time. Or maybe she decided to go with the 10 she got.
  • A parting gift from P a lot of players you cant use. Let them sit in your bench and become very dissatisfied or ******************

• CamrnCrz1974 said... (original post)Remember, universities and coaches cannot comment on recruits or players who have given verbal commitments; they can only comment on players wh...

That is 100% not how the conversation goes.

• Let’s face It. There are players on the current roster that would not have seen meaningful minutes even with P coaching. I still feel for Emily who scored one basket in her four years. I would rather go somewhere where I could play.

we don’t know what transpired with these recruits and it probably isn’t productive to speculate, but I would be surprised if their scholly’s were yanked.

• meeklosh said... (original post)Not sad to lose Walker, or...if true, Rewers. I didn't see them getting any playing time while at Duke. Davis-Jones however, I thought was goi...

When I saw ESPN's scouting report on Davis-Jones... first thing that popped in my head was she sounds like an Odom Clone. I guess that ship has sailed, it will be interesting to see where she, and the other de-commits land.

• triaddukefan said... (original post)When I saw ESPN's scouting report on Davis-Jones... first thing that popped in my head was she sounds like an Odom Clone. I guess that shi...

Thing is, she is not even close to Odom in terms of athleticism, length, ability to create, and capacity to take over a game against an elite opponent.

Odom was a consensus top 10 recruit. Davis-Jones did not even rank in the top 100 or 200 by all of the scouting services.

And Davis-Jones' ranking (highest current ranking is #237 by CGBR) is not the result of a lack of exposure. Her AAU team - West Coast Premier - is a prominent one that features Okikiola Iriafen (top 10 in 2021), Rayah Marshall (top 20 in 2021), and two other top 75 players in 2021.

• Hoping it isn’t true that Duke would be rescinding offers to recruits. I’d be surprised, and saddened. Suspect it might be as described above, with explanations of likely limited playing time, etc. The timing is odd to just wipe the slate clean on recruits this late in the cycle. Could be a challenge filling all of those vacancies at this point. Duke fans blasted Coach Calimari at KY for doing what DWBB is being accused of.

This post was edited by BDBD89 6 months ago

• 1) Comparing Davis-Jones to Odom is like saying Josh Hairston sort of reminds me of LeBron James, just not as athletic (OK that's a little harsh, but she was never going to have the potential of Odom, and as pointed out above, she wasn't even ranked for a reason).
    2) These players belonged on low level ACC or mid-major teams, not NC contenders. I could never figure out why each commitment was so celebrated. Its basically saying this is that Duke in resigning itself to be at that level for the next 4 years.
    3). How disingenuous is it for P to allow these recruits to commit when she knows she is walking out the door in a few weeks. IF she felt she needed "security" of a contract extension to go forward, she should not have been offering people committments she knew she would not be around to honor.
    4) These girls were all still free at any moment to decide Duke was not for them and change their minds. I doubt Kara had any relationship with any of them, so from her point of view, if she says she is honoring all of P's promises, there is no foundation of trust that would say I believe this person will stick it out. and to commit to them and say I am going to invest scholarships on this level a player is just not smart.
    5) its life. until a contract is signed, nothing is set. These girls had to know P was on a lifeline and there was no security in saying you were coming to Duke when they announced.

This post was edited by dukesince86 6 months ago

• dukesince86 said... (original post)1) Comparing Davis-Jones to Odom is like saying Josh Hairston sort of reminds me of LeBron James, just not as athletic (OK that's a little ...

Very well said.