8 wins

8 wins

Arrow-4
  • That is about it for the year....

• Discussion
  • I mean I'm as down as anyone right now, but good grief with your undying faith in Lebo you are quick to give up on Dooley.

• You are proving you know nothing about basketball again. Our PG is about to come back. It will be a totally different offense. Those that dont understand this dont understand the game. Overall the jucos have been the most disappointing of the bunch. JJ miles has to be wide open to shoot even though he is 6-6. Baruti right now cant even make a layup, and Ludgy has given us nothing so far. The only one creating any offense and setting up his teammates is Gardner. It might sound crazy but I would put him at the point, he is the only one who can by anyone and create something. Suggs also is playing very well and actually attacks the basket and makes some shots. He is a very composed freshman and is playing like a senior right now. He is unfazed and not scared at all.

• ECUPittfan said... (original post) You are proving you know nothing about basketball again. Our PG is about to come back. It will be a totally different offense. Those that dont u...

I understand what you are saying and agree with the point guard situation we are currently in now. But, i also see coaches not coaching setting a simple screen to get someone able to drive. We don't do fundamental basketball. Our weak side defense sucks and it sucked last year, it sucked 20 years ago.

I guarded Blue Edwards, he guarded me, i know a little about basketball.

Recruiting, Oasis, you, Jville all talked about how JD was going to bring in the type of player to do it. Well, i heard what yall were saying about Lebo being lazy on the recruiting trail. Well, ive looked at Baruti who everyone claimed was the second coming. He is not even average, he is NOT the answer. He can't dribble, take anyone off the dribble, average rebounder and is a foul machine. Roccaforte told me this summer how much better shooters, the offense was going to do this and do that. These 2 guards we have coming has got to help us, but how are they going to guard the other team's forwards. We have no help on defense.

JD was about 5 plays behind me to go to zone. I told my son if we cant stop the dribble drive, we have to go zone. It worked for a time or two and then they hit a 3 or two. But, we dont rotate out, we dont anticipate the pass. You can recruit players that anticipate, you can see that on the court, stats are not going to show you that. KJ Davis had great anticipation, he deflected many passes and was a great rebounder for his size and yes, there are better players out there, but we didn't bring one in better than what he was. Pius, he knew the system, we have all these players that are having to learn on the curve. I thought bringing in 11 was crazy at the time. KJ and SW would still be here if i were in charge.

I question our post play coaching too. Chillous brought in Baruti and i beleive he bombed on that one. He is ok, but no where near what Igoe and company made him out to be.

Yep, JG is playing back yard one on one because he has too, because we dont set screens and we go east west instead of north south on offense. Inside out my man.

Suggs, Newton and even Coleman were good pickups. I like James too. I would like to see him a little more aggressive but he has a step that Baruti doesnt have IMO.

• b0ndsj0ns said... (original post) I mean I'm as down as anyone right now, but good grief with your undying faith in Lebo you are quick to give up on Dooley.

I just said Lebo / Perry has done more than anyone else, 2013 CIT championship, more winning seasons. Just better coached teams.

• I can't help but wonder if we wouldn't have been better bringing in 7 or 8 new guys and hanging on to a few more of the guys from last year. I'm really not seeing the need for the 3 7 footers. Maybe 2 and know that we have one coming next year. Hind sight is 20 -20 but we are likely to worse this year than we needed to be. Maybe it all works out in a couple of year and Dooley is a genius but it will be really tough getting there.

• Deep Purple said... (original post) I can't help but wonder if we wouldn't have been better bringing in 7 or 8 new guys and hanging on to a few more of the guys from las...

2 guards will help if they are as good as what i've heard and read, especially Robinson. He alone should get more people involved. Right now, we're not doing fundamental things on both ends of the floor, screens, boxing out, we have no second chance points, Liberty had many.

• Pirateland said... (original post) I understand what you are saying and agree with the point guard situation we are currently in now. But, i also see coaches not coaching setting ...

Pirate land I pretty much disagree with you on everything. And I was and am one of the main supporters of Dooley, but so far your post here is spot on. I think Dooley brought in some good young freshman pieces, but he needs to send majority of these jucos packing at end of year, and start back over. Dooley swing for fences and he tried to do complete overhaul, he just missed on the juco wings. Needs to start over and try again next year and let these freshman develop as much as possible.

• Rico Quentin look better in the one game Dooley played him last year versus a good **** team Wichita State team in front of 10,000 people on the road no less than either of the 7-footers have. He could even put up at 3. I would have much rather kept him then either of these Juco bigs.

• Ory said... (original post) Rico Quentin look better in the one game Dooley played him last year versus a good **** team Wichita State team in front of 10,000 people on the road n...

I forgot about him Ory. After seeing him play that game, everyone on here was wondering why it took so long, then he got hurt.

• Pirateland said... (original post) I understand what you are saying and agree with the point guard situation we are currently in now. But, i also see coaches not coaching setting ...

Getting dunked on by Blue doesn’t mean you know anything except that you can get dunked on.

• I think we went and got too much of the same type of player. I think Coleman is gonna end up being good, but we need him to stretch the floor if he's a real potential shooting threat. Ludge did a good job of getting up and down the floor, but if you aren't pulling down rebounds, your height might as well be 5'2''.

• Pirateland said... (original post) I just said Lebo / Perry has done more than anyone else, 2013 CIT championship, more winning seasons. Just better coached teams.

more winning seasons than who? he had 2 in 2011 and 2013. However....

Dooley had 2 winning seasons in the 90s

Eddie payne had 2

tom quinn had 4

Lebo had 5 losing seasons in 8 years

• i don't disagree that this staff is underperforming and that the lack of progress is concerning but theres no reason to bring up Lebo when he finished up at ECU with 4 straight losing seasons

• I remember how hard the kids played last year. These guys seem maybe possibly just a little bit entitled.

• Well I guess we see that the rotations may not have been the issue after all. We played “small” the entire game almost, and had our worse performance to date. It comes down to jimmys and joes...

• piratepride2 said... (original post) Well I guess we see that the rotations may not have been the issue after all. We played “small” the entire game almost, and had our worse perf...

Well Dooley recruited every one of these jimmies and joes, except for the only 2 that have actually had any success (Gardner and Leday).

• between Baruti, Miles, and James, I don't see a reason KJ Davis was run off.

• velvetkramer said... (original post) Getting dunked on by Blue doesn’t mean you know anything except that you can get dunked on.

Blue did that to many, including me. Blue is the best, Elijah Hughes would have awesome to had he stayed.

• jvllepirate said... (original post) more winning seasons than who? he had 2 in 2011 and 2013. However....Dooley had 2 winning seasons in the 90sEddie payne had 2tom quinn had 4Leb...

Keep in mind what conference we were in too. We were in one bid leagues with the names you mentioned. It is night and day the level of competition we play now versus then.

• jvllepirate said... (original post) i don't disagree that this staff is underperforming and that the lack of progress is concerning but theres no reason to bring up Lebo when ...

I didn't bring him up, some others brought him up when i was just voicing my concerns with what i see on the court. After they brought him up, i just told them that all i have ever said that Lebo/Perry are the best coaches we've had here. Fundamentals were night and day to what i see now, we just needed better players then and now.

• bucwild17 said... (original post) I remember how hard the kids played last year. These guys seem maybe possibly just a little bit entitled.

They played hard with Perry too. Playing hard doesn't defend if you dont know where to be and when to switch. We never switch, communication is not there. Dooley did say that we need to work on us and really not worry about opponent going into the Evansville game, he is right, we have a mountain of work to do.

• b0ndsj0ns said... (original post) Well Dooley recruited every one of these jimmies and joes, except for the only 2 that have actually had any success (Gardner and Leday).

No doubt, this is his baby.

• Pirateland said... (original post) Blue did that to many, including me. Blue is the best, Elijah Hughes would have awesome to had he stayed.

I agree about Hughes. I heard he had issues with Kentrell Barkley.

• I'll just say, you can tell this team is in need of a PG, a floor general type able to set others up. I think it shows up when the offense has to go half court and make something happen. We are actually not that bad in transition, if we can ever get there.

• ECUSaltyDawg said... (original post) I'll just say, you can tell this team is in need of a PG, a floor general type able to set others up. I think it shows up when the offens...

I don't think the lack of PG has anything to do with why despite playing tiny teams we are essentially dead even rebounding on the year. If there is anyplace I thought we should be dominating early it's on the glass.