For old time Pirates like myself these last 2 football games

For old time Pirates like myself these last 2 football games

Arrow6
  • remind me of 1990 and 2005. Going into the last two games ECU was doomed to a losing record, but they pulled out W's and set the coarse for great seasons soon after. In 1990, ECU beat Memphis at the Liberty Bowl with a late TD, then they beat NIU who ran the wishbone and they had a qb who was a awesome option qb. In 2005, ECU beat Marshall in Huntington after falling way behind and the next week beat UAB (the game Darrell Hackney guaranteed a UAB win) I wonder if the staff will have the position that 2020 starts next Saturday, or if they are trying to make this season as good as possible. It will be interesting how the personnel is used the last two games.

• Discussion
  • A bowl may be done but these last 2 games are insanely important. They obviously can build confidence and momentum for the players and coaches going into next season, but also for the fan base as well. Gilbert has been making it clear selling more season tickets is a must, and obviously financially it's extremely important. Win the last 2 games and you have a great narrative to sell. A team that grew up as the season went along, gave 2 top 25 teams everything they wanted, finished strong, and is ready to take a big step forward next year get on the ship so you can see it. Lose the last 2 and that narrative becomes really hard to sell. Then you are trying to say we got better and showed improvement but finished 3-9 again, 0-8 in the league, and lost 7 straight to finish the season. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the difference in those 2 scenarios could be 2k or more in season ticket sales.

• I'm pretty excited about the next two games.

• b0ndsj0ns said... (original post) A bowl may be done but these last 2 games are insanely important. They obviously can build confidence and momentum for the players and coaches go...

What about the third scenario?

• Personally, I like the things Houston is doing and I will be buying season tickets again next year, whether we win either of the last two.

• TBone32 said... (original post) Personally, I like the things Houston is doing and I will be buying season tickets again next year, whether we win either of the last two.

Same here! But I do feel good about about us winning at UConn...and then I'll concentrate on Tulsa:-))

• Remember we were all talking about how easy this years schedule was going to be. Man that idea went down the tubes. Outside of GW its been a mine field. I'm glad Tulsa is at home.

• ChesPirate said... (original post) What about the third scenario?

Where we go 1-1? The context of that would matter a lot. Lets say we beat UCONN handily and then lose a back and forth nail bitter against a Tulsa team that is far better than it's record. I'd say you could make a lot of the same optimistic arguments as in scenario 1 and I wouldn't expect them to fall on deaf ears. If we were to say barely squeak by UCONN and then have a USF style game being handled at home with the game being over at halftime my guess would be the view would be closer to the 0-2 scenario because everyone knows UCONN is dreadful (1/3 of Mo's career wins come from them) and then in a game on paper we should be able to compete in we didn't.

• These last two will tell us about the toughness/mindset of the team and the coaches ability to keep them focused and engaged despite post season being out of reach. The importance of these last two cannot be overstated, mostly for the psyche of the fan-base.

• b0ndsj0ns said... (original post) Where we go 1-1? The context of that would matter a lot. Lets say we beat UCONN handily and then lose a back and forth nail bitter against a Tuls...

I am thinking this UCONN game might be closer than we all want, and I am hoping we can keep up with Tulsa until the end when Jake kicks a winning field goal! Let's go 1-0 twice!

• ChesPirate said... (original post) I am thinking this UCONN game might be closer than we all want, and I am hoping we can keep up with Tulsa until the end when Jake kicks a winnin...

I suspect it's going to be close, because the weather probably is an issue for the passing game and we can't run the ball or stop the run consistently.

• b0ndsj0ns said... (original post) I suspect it's going to be close, because the weather probably is an issue for the passing game and we can't run the ball or stop the r...

That's what I'm scared of. Looks like Mensah for UConn is closing in on 1k yards. With all of the success of the offensive line the last few weeks, they still don't give off the impression that they are going to pancake people in a 4 minute offense.

• Chatham Pirate said... (original post) That's what I'm scared of. Looks like Mensah for UConn is closing in on 1k yards. With all of the success of the offensive line th...

Nope, if the weather turns out to be mild and not windy I'm confident we can throw it all over them and they aren't capable of scoring very many points. I'm not confident we can score much though in a game where we need to be able to run the ball a majority of the time.

• weather projected to be high 43, 10%precip, 12mph. But, that's a long ways out.

This post was edited by barley wine 23 days ago

• One of my favorite games was the win against UAB in 2005 after Thanksgiving. That team grinded all year and laid the foundation for two conference championships. It was a beautiful November day and I remember leaving DF really excited about the next few years with Skip at the helm. The dark cloud of JT was lifted that afternoon.

• HARTFORD FORECAST:
    SAT NOV 23
    Partly Cloudy
    HIGH 44°
    20% Chance of precipitation
    WNW 7 mph 50% Humidity

Weather should not be a real factor if this holds.

• Yeah if that's the weather that won't be a valid excuse to use if we play poorly. The weather has been worse than that in NC the last week plus.

• There is such a big difference between 3-9 and 5-7 especially where the program is right now. Riding into the offseason with 2 wins in a row and the best record in what 4-5 seasons? A young roster being able to taste success after the hard work and heartbreak of this season would be a great stepping stone towards making a bowl game next year.

• We need to get better with all of these young guys. If there is not too many coaching changes in the next few years, this league is going to be a bear. That conference schedule in 2021 is loaded.

• How about 98 when they beat Memphis at Liberty Bowl to finish 6 - 5. Found a way to win. We all know what happened in 99.