Matt Rhule

Matt Rhule

• He is a good football coach, Temple had a good one in him.

• Discussion
  • He ruined Ruff and Lincoln’s season in 14, looks like he may do the same in 19.

• College football has evolved to the point where a physical and downhill offense is something defenses are not built to stop. Everyone but the very top programs have sacrificed size for speed. Defense evolved to stop spread em out throw it around offenses. Old school mentality offenses with enovative run schemes are causing issues. Not hard to see why Baylor (and Kansas State) is doing so well in the big 12. The whole conference is based around high octane offense. Physical ball control teams are like air raid offenses were ten years ago.

This post was edited by BleedsPG 29 days ago

• One of the best coaches in the country for sure

• 200years2late said... (original post) He ruined Ruff and Lincoln’s season in 14, looks like he may do the same in 19.

Not fancy, but productive. I like the way they use there DE, they will rush off the edge and then take the running back out of the backfield, throws the QB off. Hurts head is on a swivel.

• BleedsPG said... (original post) College football has evolved to the point where a physical and downhill offense is something defenses are not built to stop. Everyone but the very ...

While physical ball control teams often have have short term sucess, like today, they get beaten in the long run. Speed and space replaced it for a reason.

• Bilanr99 said... (original post) While physical ball control teams often have have short term sucess, like today, they get beaten in the long run. Speed and space replaced it for ...

Finding the OL, and defense to play the style is just to difficult at the college level with offenses executing like they do. Its to the point it’s easier to hide a weak offense in the NFL than college.

• Bilanr99 said... (original post) While physical ball control teams often have have short term sucess, like today, they get beaten in the long run. Speed and space replaced it for ...

They barely lost to a team with vastly superior talent...

And you missed the point. Football is always evolving. Offenses change and defenses adapt. When physical down hill styles were prevelant defenses adapted to stop them. Along came spread, air it out, fast pace teams and they took advantage of these bigger slower players by putting them in space. Now defenses have adjusted by recruiting smaller faster players and switching to base D's like the 4-2-5. So some programs and coaches have simply said ok, we will go back to downhill physical running with lead blockers and all that jazz. This is harder to stop now with smaller players across the board.
  • Sejohnson0408 said... (original post) Finding the OL, and defense to play the style is just to difficult at the college level with offenses executing like they do. Its to the poin...

Its not harder to find the OL. Its the same OL playing in both schemes for the most part. Hell, Air raid teams often look for taller longer guys. There are less of them just due to the height requirements. Physical run teams often look for guys a little shorter along the OL due to the leverage advantages they have in run blocking. In todays recruiting landscape these guys are probably easier to find since everyone else wants the tall long guys. You also dont need great athletes at the OL position for a downhill run game. Then there are teams that acitvily sacrifice size for athleticism along the OL for zone run schemes. Either way they are easier to get do to their lack of size. This was started in the nfl due to DL becoming so big fast and strong that it was impossible ot get OL that could block them straight up. So they came up with a blocking scheme that could utilize less athletic OL and still move the ball. Sounds like a good recipe for a school like ECU. straight pass blocking is the hardest thing OL have to do. If your offense is run, rpo, and play action you reduce the amount of times you put your OL in straight passing situation. I believe i read an article where Memphis's offense is one of those 3 types of plays over 75% of the time. So even their passing game is based around the run.

• https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/7/13/17568406/mike-norvells-te-inclusive-spread-offense-memphis-tigers-rpo

This was a great article on the Memphis offense. Though they are not necessarily using zone runs (in fact they have gone old school with ISO and Power concepts). They also utilize the TE a bunch, which people up here seem to think is the key to offensive football success.

• I remember when we thought Matt Rhule beat us with less talent and that team went onto have 6 or 7 NFL players.

This post was edited by oasispirate 28 days ago

• Pirateland said... (original post) Not fancy, but productive. I like the way they use there DE, they will rush off the edge and then take the running back out of the backfield, th...

They were running stunts at warp speed early and beating the snot out of Hurts. After halftime OU adjusted and then suddenly started playing tough on defense, unusual for them. They held Baylor to 3 after halftime.

This post was edited by ultraviolet 28 days ago

Oklahoma ended up playing a ball control offense to end the game.

• oasispirate said... (original post) I remember when we thought Matt Rhule beat us with less talent and that team went onto have 6 or 7 NFL players.

Maybe the worst game I've ever attended. Of course the liberty bowls were right up there too

• BleedsPG said... (original post) They barely lost to a team with vastly superior talent...And you missed the point. Football is always evolving. Offenses change and defenses adapt...

1. Sure they barley won. My point wasn't that it would be better 100% of the time but over the long run. Ie if you had two equally talented teams running the two systems, the speed and space team will clearly be better over 100 games even though they might lose some games.

2. I didn't miss it. My point is that going back to physical down hill football isn't an evolution-- it's a devolution.

• Bilanr99 said... (original post) 1. Sure they barley won. My point wasn't that it would be better 100% of the time but over the long run. Ie if you had two equally talented teams ...

You just made up that claim in your first point. You have nothing to back that up, or if you do then please share.
  • BleedsPG said... (original post) You just made up that claim in your first point. You have nothing to back that up, or if you do then please share.

Speed and space is more efficient system. We know this because it replaced physical down hill running-- essentially the outcome of football evolution. Even teams with the best talent-- like Alabama and LSU-- had to abandon it.

• You can't have a physical down hill running team with speed and pace?

You seem to think anything in a spread formation is air raid and anything with a full back or inline TE is prehistoric football.

• Lincoln busted that azz!!