Outer Banks ... drone video of northeaster impact 11.18.19

Outer Banks ... drone video of northeaster impact 11.18.19

Arrow4
  • Thanks to Altitude 12 an OBX commercial video business located in Hatteras NC.

Altitude 12

Taken 11.18.2019 2pm

Rodanthe north and beach front

Avon Area and Beach Front

Mother nature at her best and worst.

Tom

• Discussion
  • ME: I'm gonna build my Million dollar house right on the beach in North Carolina.....

MOTHER NATURE: ROFLMAO

• Construction began in 2018 on the Jug Handle Bridge that begins in Rodanthe extending into the Pamilco Sound turning northward for about 2.5 miles the connecting back to HWY 12 just south of the wildlife viewing area.

user generateduser generateduser generated

• OBX should have never been developed. Billions of tax dollars have been spent fighting mother nature. NC insurance commission should stop any new policies on many areas of OBX, especially Rodanthe and let nature take it back.

• A lot of dead homes walking in those videos.

• With rising sea levels and global warming it's only going to get worse.

Anyone who builds a house on the north end of those islands is asking for this to happen. It's pretty stupid. They should stop insuring these homes and more like them.

• Buc Nasty said... (original post) OBX should have never been developed. Billions of tax dollars have been spent fighting mother nature. NC insurance commission should stop any new ...

I agree 100% with this. Based on the amount of houses I see in the drone footage it looks like a miserable place to vacation to me.

• I guess we can keep the millions of tax dollars these houses generate instead of dispersing them throughout the state. Don't forget about all the jobs it takes to run and maintain them. What about all people that work for other business that the tourist visit and pay taxes on as well. Guess all these people should go on welfare and have everyone else's tax dollars support us for a change. If you don't agree or like our island stay the hell off. There are plenty of people to take your place.

• KittyHawkPirate said... (original post) I guess we can keep the millions of tax dollars these houses generate instead of dispersing them throughout the state. Don't forget about a...

I think it's highly questionable whether or not its a revenue winner. But I like obx just saying.

Isn't welfare what a lot the seasonal employees do anyway when their business close for the season?

This post was edited by oasispirate 26 days ago

• KittyHawkPirate said... (original post) I guess we can keep the millions of tax dollars these houses generate instead of dispersing them throughout the state. Don't forget about a...

Or just don't let people build houses in areas being reclaimed by the ocean... Some houses and other structures on the OBX are pretty viable. Some are not. These houses are screwed. Aid and tax money shouldn't be going to help save someone's vacation home built in an idiotic area.
  • Man some of the best summers of my life spent at Nags Head. As soon as school let out we would make a bee line straight to the nags head/kill devil hills for the summer where I shared a beach house with Fraternity brothers and other friends .. we would cram seven of us in one bedroom cottage with an open upstairs loft right across the street from the beach. Surf or hang out on the beach all day and wait tables at night.... was dead broke at the end of the summer and my liver was jelly, but had a savage tan along with memories to last a life time ... this was in the early 90’s and we used baby oil as sun tan screen.

• BleedsPG said... (original post) Or just don't let people build houses in areas being reclaimed by the ocean... Some houses and other structures on the OBX are pretty viable. ...

My tax dollars shouldn't go to support public housing and other the other welfare programs in Durham, Raleigh, Greenville and other areas of the state, but it does. I didn't and wouldn't call these "idiotic" areas because they're receiving assistance. Why the name calling because I would call your hometown names especially if I knew nearly nothing about what I was talking about?

Trust me. I know flood insurance. The way these houses are constructed (on piling with a ground floor enclosure around the pilings) FEMA only offers very limited building coverage (outside 4 walls, but no interior walls, flooring, cabinets, etc.) and NO contents, fence or pool coverage. Flood coverage really starts on the 2nd floor. The majority of the repairs are not covered by FEMA and will fall back on the homeowners unless the house totally falls in. To my knowledge none did. Even if Dare County condemns the property FEMA will only pay for the damaged portion of the home and not the whole house or coverage limit. Your tax dollars will not be paying for these homes. I will give you that DOT does have to get the sand off the road, but that's no different than having to plow snow off the roads all winter.

• KittyHawkPirate said... (original post) My tax dollars shouldn't go to support public housing and other the other welfare programs in Durham, Raleigh, Greenville and other areas o...

Your tax $ going to Durham and Wake Co? I think you're confusing the issue a bit. On the state level, Wake Co, Meck, etc. Are absolutely subsidizing other counties in NC.

I am from the coast (not obx) and love it there. But it absolutely has questions of sustainability.

Is the obx tax base even that high? The property tax base yes. Most of the out of state residents claim income tax in other states..

As to flood insurance there is a reason ppl use to build shack like cottages prior to floods insurances arrival on the scene. Flood insurance is the rich man's welfare.

I love obx, I think you're inflating their tax base and what it economically brings to the table. I'd bet in the end, it's absolutely a taker county (most are).

I bet Raleigh is not btw.

This post was edited by oasispirate 25 days ago

• This ship has set sail - and recently. State and even federal leadership could/did look at the financial repercussions (tourism dollars probably more than property tax BTW) of letting Hatteras Island go and rather than cut bait, they constructed a new Oregon Inlet Bridge (Basnight Bridge) to the tune of $252 million and are almost done with the Jug Handle (Rodanthe bridge) to another tune of $145 million. That's ~$400 million to get MORE people onto Hatteras Island - call it another subsidy if you want. Doesn't matter - they have drawn the line in the sand, and the "they should get the heck out of there / serves them right" philosophy you hear after every nor-Easter has lost big time. Regardless if it will ultimately be the right or wrong decision.

• The outer banks are a national treasure. That is all that has to be said.

• Fullaheadflank said... (original post) The outer banks are a national treasure. That is all that has to be said.

I agree. As I said above, let nature take some of the island back and turn those areas into national parks. No one is saying shut down the entire OBX. Even you locals (kittyhawk) can agree that some areas of OBX are unsustainable, even with unlimited public and private funds. Its a barrier island...a moving, shifting landmass composed of sand. Who knows what it would like like today without our interventions. I grew up on the beach (Wrightsville) and spent many days surfing "s-turns" and camping on the beach in Rodanthe. I love the place, but when a nor-easter costs millions in structural damage, flooding, beach erosion and clean up, it's time to questing its viability.

• PIRATER said... (original post) This ship has set sail - and recently. State and even federal leadership could/did look at the financial repercussions (tourism dollars probably mo...

This is my question. To invest 400+ million into these bridges plus the restoration time and time again, there has to be significant revenues/benefit. If those revenues make the investment worth it, fine, if not, we're wasting money.