Patience is needed

Patience is needed

Arrow0
  • Our starting OG and his backup are out until around the start of conference play. Our fans need to be patient and realize we could go undefeated in OOC and it still mean nothing if we are winless in the American whereas winless OOC and undefeated in conference gets us no less than an NIT bid.

• Discussion
  • DeadlockedWinter said... (original post) Our starting OG and his backup are out until around the start of conference play. Our fans need to be patient and realize we could go unde...

I have little patience when i see fundamental basketball not being taught.

• DeadlockedWinter said... (original post) winless OOC and undefeated in conference gets us no less than an NIT bid.

LOL
  • Pirateland said... (original post) I have little patience when i see fundamental basketball not being taught.

How do you know it's not being taught? Dooley has been successful at every turn and learned under one of the best. We are down two key players and everyone already wants to fire Dooley. These games are meaningless because are are not in the NCAA discussion at all. The committee has proven they wil not include an American upstart the first year of their upswing unless they get the auto bid. Thus RPI/NET has no bearing except for the hive thinking of "we need to boost our conference opponets when they beat us!" We need to worry about us and this multiyear build (can't rebuild what was never built).

• You do know regular season conference champs are guaranteed an NIT bid right?

• DeadlockedWinter said... (original post) You do know regular season conference champs are guaranteed an NIT bid right?

Well yeah. LOL. Why are you bringing that up?
  • blunderbuss said... (original post) Well yeah. LOL. Why are you bringing that up?

Cause that's what you were laughing at plus most of the whiners are claiming the season is already over. It's not even started yet based on the realistic destination anyway.

• DeadlockedWinter said... (original post) Cause that's what you were laughing at plus most of the whiners are claiming the season is already over. It's not even started yet based o...

So you think we can win the AAC
  • Patience is all we have as Pirate fans for several years

• been patient since 1993

• The best this team can do now is the CBI. The NCAA/NIT went out the window with the losses to Navy and App. I'm not even going to entertain the thought of a autobid.

• At this point I just want to see a competitive game every time out.

• I hope no one thought ECU would be world beaters this season. I like the moves that Dooley made, and I think by middle of the season it should surface to look a lot better than where we were same time last season. I think the early part of the season requires so much coming together, and handling of adversity. I think without a true PG, this team is suffering. Give them a little time. They may not win the AAC, or even have a winning season, but I'm willing to bet they can play spoiler on more than one occasion this year. They may even surprise us all by year end. Only takes a team to catch fire to be dangerous at the end.

• In other news there are a lot of 1st and 2nd year coaches doing well at schools at schools with terrible histories like Drake, Evansville, or Tulane. Drake's coach is even down his best player and his best incoming recruit and they still haven't missed much of a beat. Ron Hunter rebuilt Tulane's roster over one spring and it's looks more compeditive than ours with some serious transfers from places like Kansas and Georgia. Evansville got some serious transfers from places like Kansas and another top 200 recruit and upset #1 Kentucky on the road. Even Charlotte who been terrible for a decade blew out a Davidson team that was boarderline top 25 last week. It's happening for other schools, some without nearly the advantages we have.

This post was edited by Ory 27 days ago

• Ory said... (original post) In other news there are a lot of 1st and 2nd year coaches doing well at schools at schools with terrible histories like Drake, Evansville, or Tulane. D...

I agree what Dooley's done in comparison to others is not good, but at this point since everyone is blaming this on the missing PG's lets see what it looks like when they get back. As Igoe said in his long post (and we both know) the NET for this season is toast so it honestly doesn't matter anymore the outcomes of the games before the PG's get back. The damage has been done and it's not fixable. I've thrown my temper tantrum about how big a failure I think this has been so far, but it's not worth the rage at this point because it will not get better till those 2 get healthy. At that point we'll figure out how many of these players are actually worth keeping and how many Dooley and company completely whiffed on. From the looks of it every JUCO that has played so far is a miss, but hopefully they get better. Our 1 early signing is essentially another 7 foot project so there's no help there for next season, so basically the rest of this season is just to figure out who's worth keeping. Right now of what we've seen I'd only strongly argue for Gardner, Suggs, Newton, and Coleman (just because he's so young and has upside). Hopefully a couple more play themselves into the worth keeping category.

• b0ndsj0ns said... (original post) I agree what Dooley's done in comparison to others is not good, but at this point since everyone is blaming this on the missing PG's le...

We aren't the only team that deals with adversity or injuries. There is still no excuse losing to some of these teams.

• Ory said... (original post) We aren't the only team that deals with adversity or injuries. There is still no excuse losing to some of these teams.

Don't disagree, but I just don't have the energy to cry over the spilled milk anymore. The games are over, the damage is done, and there's probably no salvaging the season from a NET perspective. Nothing that can happen the rest of this year on the court will or should get Dooley fired after only 2 years. It's time to way adjust down expectations, and for me it's just hoping that by the end of the season there are at least 5 or 6 returning players that we can say for certain are AAC level players. Obviously NET matters a ton, but the difference in finishing like 225 vs 275 doesn't really matter anything below 200 is trash. I think it's pretty clear several of the recruits are complete whiffs, hopefully the 2 injured guys aren't, and hopefully at least 1 of the JUCO wings turns out to be close to what was expected down the line.

• I haven't ruled out the possibility we can look a lot better if he goes smaller and when we get the two guards back. I still think a lot of the problem has been Dooley playing these guys like Baruti and Miles out of position.

I do think a lot of it depends on LeDay's health though. They said his knee acted up this weekend and he wasn't able to play much. If he can play like he was playing before the latest setback and get on the court 30 minutes a game we still would have a chance IMO to be decent.. Dooley would just play these players the majority of the minutes and quit trying to play Coleman or Debaut.

C-LeDay 6-7, 215
    F-Gardner 6-7, 235
    F-Suggs 6-6, 200
    G-Jackson 6-2, 215
    G-Robinson 6-1, 190

6th Newton 6-5, 185
    (1st Big) Baruti 6-7, 225

I think if we just played these players most of the minutes there is at least a path you could conceive success. No chance playing the 7 footers like we have.

This post was edited by Ory 27 days ago

• Ory said... (original post) I haven't ruled out the possibility we can look a lot better if he goes smaller and when we get the two guards back. I still think a lot of the pr...

OOC I agree that's the top 7. I do think in the league there are going to be games we need the 7 footers if for nothing else than just length and fouls to give.

• DeadlockedWinter said... (original post) Our starting OG and his backup are out until around the start of conference play. Our fans need to be patient and realize we could go unde...

Every year I wait for the great pumpkin.