Potential options to replace UConn in The American

Potential options to replace UConn in The American

Arrow4
  • Discussion
  • I’m personally against adding service academies. That style of play isn’t modern football and having Navy is enough. Certainly would not under and circumstance want to play this style twice per year. Boise would be best but I love the idea of North Dakota State for football only

• Adding App St would be the worst thing ...sorry but they need to work their way up the ranks and no way in hell an in state school would help ECU regardless of “rivalry” ...nope

• I don't necessarily agree that anyone outside of a few MWC members and BYU would improve the AAC's image (particularly an FCS team). I think we should follow the pecking order. BYU, BSU, AF/CSU, in that order. Outside of those, everyone else is a bad look for reaching too far down. Plus, BSU is the main team always waiting in the wings for us to beat up on each other. Grabbing them or another good MWC team would improve our NY6, and eventually 8-team playoff spot, chances.

• I believe that a full member should be a high priority. Having part time members would lead to attrition within the conference. That was the reason the old Big East had issues.

Boise is the best option to me. BYU is also good if they can figure out the Sunday thing. Nobody else is worth it to this point.

• I love the idea of Boise State or BYU in football but I also think it would be great for the 'American' brand to get all the service academies together. As much as I HATE watching (and losing to) the triple option, this conference would be pretty amazing if we went to 14 adding Army, Airforce, and either BYU or Boise State.

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - One Month for Only $1

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • UMASS, UAB, Georgia State

• BYU, just schedule them on the other 6 days.

• Wow, lots of wtf in here. There's no such thing as basketball only, the far flung all sports members... NDSU? Really?

This was my personal favorite.

""The question becomes would Appalachian State accept being a football-only membership if offered? The men’s and women’s basketball teams have struggled in the Sun Belt and it raises a real question if those teams could jump to the level of the AAC.""

This post was edited by blunderbuss 1 month ago

• blunderbuss said... (original post) Wow, lots of wtf in here. There's no such thing as basketball only, the far flung all sports members... NDSU? Really?This was my personal ...

Have changed the term basketball only to non-football

• To me, the only thing that might make sense is BYU for football only, but they don't seem to have any interest. So, let's just stay with what we have and make it better.

• Sam Anderson said... (original post) Have changed the term basketball only to non-football

Might I recommend Olympic sports and basketball only is almost impossible due to NCAA rules.

This post was edited by Sejohnson0408 1 month ago

• I say go big or go home. Aresco should go to ESPN and say look we have deal X, give me something that says if SDSU, BYU, Boise, CSU, and Air Force come on in all sports the per team contract will be _ my math might suck but that’s a 16 team conference. Then create an 8 or 9 game conference schedule using Pods and have a conference that easily rivals Pac12 and Big12. Then we are really in a position of power.

• It was mentioned a school keeping Olympic sports in MWC. Unless something has changed it is not possible for Air Force, Boise, or Colorado State to keep their Olympic sports in the Mountain West, they would have to join a league that does not sponsor football.

This post was edited by Pirate1214 1 month ago

• BYU & VCU

• NortheastPirate said... (original post) Adding App St would be the worst thing ...sorry but they need to work their way up the ranks and no way in hell an in state school would he...

It looks to me as if they have “worked” their way up. They have won at each level they have had stops at. They also have a fan base that is similar to ours. While I 100% understand the reasoning for trying to exclude them, I do think they have earned the right to be in the discussion.

For all the advantages that we have had over them, they sure have negated them all and shown that they can be successful.

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - One Month for Only $1

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • BYU or Boise State... best fits and provide more "known" name recognition and publicity! Not anti to Air Force or Colorado State.

• BYU then Boise ... big gap ... Army then Air Force ... big gap ... still thinking...............

• Thanks for the hard work on this, Sam. Expansion is a difficult topic to tackle and you hit just about every angle possible in one piece.

My personal preference is BYU/Boise/Army/Air Force, in that order. I think those are the only schools, for now, that bring real added value to the league over watering it down more. Now, in five years, the landscape of candidates may look completely different if someone else emerges over time.

This post was edited by Stephen Igoe 1 month ago

• To think App could possibly compete in basketball in the AAC, let alone win a game against an AAC member. Yea best just qualify them in this discussion as a football only member.

• Stephen Igoe said... (original post) Thanks for the hard work on this, Sam. Expansion is a difficult topic to tackle and you hit just about every angle possible in one piece.My pe...

The only thing watering down the league is ECU lol
  • While I agree with the BYU-Boise-Army-AF rank order, it seems doubtful any of them would jump on board. So, if they all said ‘No’ what about Western KY, Ga. State, southern Miss, or La. Tech? They help fill in the map and would be eager newcomers.

• Southern Miss is being overlooked. Great baseball program, and historically solid in football and basketball. If they move up to American they will only improve recruiting and football and basketball will improve

• If the conference wants to improve it’s image and competativeness, there are only four realistic scenarios so far as addition are comcerned:

(1) Create a true, western wing by adding Boise State, SDSU and either two other MWC programs (likely AFA, Colorado State or Fresno State) or one other MWC program and BYU. All sports for all new members. Chances this happens: 5%.

(2) BYU for football-only. Chances this happens: 2.5%.

(3) Air Force for football-only (their other sports go to the Summit). Chances this happens: 20%.

(4) AIr Force for FB only and either VCU, Dayton or St. Louis for Olympics-only. Chances this happens: 20%..

Adding any Sunbelt, CUSA, MAC or any indy program that would want to move (UMass, Liberty or NMSU) is not the answer. I can assure you that this will not happen unless our hand is forced and if it is, it will be one of either Charlotte, ODU or UAB for all sports. Chances this happens: 2.5%.

My bet is that we’ll stay with uneven divisions and that each of us will play 8 conference games. Chances this happens: 50%.

That’s my two cents.

This post was edited by Ned Low 29 days ago