The American announces ECU's conference opponents for 2020, 2021

The American announces ECU's conference opponents for 2020, 2021

• Discussion
  • I'll take it. We ditch UConn for Tulane in 2020, and Navy in 2021. Both are upgrades.

• 2021 schedule looks like a bear, but no worries: South Carolina won't play here anyway.

• ecusteve said... (original post) 2021 schedule looks like a bear, but no worries: South Carolina won't play here anyway.

They are coming. They already have 7 home games and a FCS team on the schedule.

• We play Tulane at home both seasons? They drew the short end of the straw!

• CarolinasPirate said... (original post) They are coming. They already have 7 home games and a FCS team on the schedule.

This. No way they back out now and buy an eighth home game and it would be tough to get a quality opponent less than 2 years out

• ecusteve said... (original post) 2021 schedule looks like a bear, but no worries: South Carolina won't play here anyway.

Don't understand the down vote. I think the odds are pretty high they back out and pay us. They will play us if we are bad but chances are this thing gets turned around by then.

This post was edited by Fullaheadflank 21 days ago

• Burg Pirate said... (original post) This. No way they back out now and buy an eighth home game and it would be tough to get a quality opponent less than 2 years out

They don't need a quality opponent.
  • The comment that they are coming because of how their schedule is currently configured is not entirely correct. It’s setup perfectly for a neutral site TV game against another P5. They won’t pay us for another home game.

• Man ! I hope Norfolk st bring their band..

• Fullaheadflank said... (original post) They don't need a quality opponent.

I just hope we are a quality opponent by then.

• Regretfully, I only see one opponent that excites me enough to make an eight (8) hour round trip to Greenville. I think the the program should return to playing P5 non conference games.

• South Carolina is P5. Virginia Tech was a P5 scheduled series. We just announced a game with Michigan. Our AD has hinted at an announcement coming soon of a P5 home and home.

Some people come to see ECU play. Some people come to see who ECU is playing. Glad for anyone who comes to DFS having bought a ticket. Hoping more of our fans will come back when the wins do.

• We should come to the game (if we can) irregardless of who we are playing. I do not expect 50K at a game vs. Gardner Webb but closer to 38-40K would be nice. 40-45K for Conference games and of course everyone in the world will "show up" if we play uncheat or ncsu.

Its tough to be this way but sometimes I wonder if we should have ever added the upper deck years ago. Our stadium bowled in with the boneyard plus the TBT now would look awesome with those fans sitting in the lower bowl. Would be a great atmosphere.

Does anyone recall how many actual seats are in the upper deck? Cannot recall.

This post was edited by PirateBacker 21 days ago

• PirateBacker said... (original post) We should come to the game (if we can) irregardless of who we are playing. I do not expect 50K at a game vs. Gardner Webb but closer to 38-40K ...

Just a little more than 5,000 seats.

• ECUSaltyDawg said... (original post) Just a little more than 5,000 seats.

ahhhhhh thats right. i just wonder what the atmosphere would look/be like again with the bowl and everyone sitting in the lower section(s). Not knocking the upper deck, just todays world with every single game (almost) available for viewing at home makes the 50K games few and far between.

• PirateBacker said... (original post) ahhhhhh thats right. i just wonder what the atmosphere would look/be like again with the bowl and everyone sitting in the lower section(s). No...

Some very poor planning long ago to put the Murphy center where they did and to build an upper deck instead of bowling in that end-zone. In an ideal world I'd rather see roughly the same capacity as now but just with a full bowl instead of a horseshoe and 1 upper deck.

• On the other hand, I'd rather be sitting in the upper deck than the end zone.

• I think at the time, there was no such thing as streaming, and the games weren't as easily accessible when the upper deck was put in. The Murphy Center was pretty close to state of the art weight lifting facility. It was a great choice at the time (1998). We were one of the hottest non-power school ticket in football. We were averaging near max capacity most games. So we expanded, and at that point in time we still had to bring in bleachers in the end zone that later became the Boneyard. I remember growing up and at about the 4th quarter or so walking down to that end zone and standing behind a fence to watch the end of the games. I think if they could remodel knowing now what they have versus what was done at the time, they may have gone with the full bowl, but I would suggest, just tearing out the upper deck entirely, reducing seating capacity back to 45K, and instead using the money that was used in that expansion to bring in an IPF and a training table. They are huge needs currently for the football team. I thought asthetically the stadium looks pretty good, and would look better full, but in today's world, I would say we could get by with 40K seats. That being said, in 3 years if we are a 8-9 win team going into the following year with an NCSU or UNC game, it will be nice to know there are a few extra tickets to pack the house.