Kyle Trask plans to return to UF for 2020 season

Kyle Trask plans to return to UF for 2020 season

Arrow28
  • DRJohnson22 said... (original post) No, I am talking about having an open quarterback competition. Learn how to read.

learn how to write less ridiculously long winded posts to make a point lol.

I still disagree. There's a benefit to having a clear starter that the team can get behind the whole offseason. And if you look around college football, quarterbacks that have the kind of year Trask is having never have to look over their shoulder all offseason. QBs that perform like that just don't get benched unless the next year they start to perform poorly in games.

• warbuck1 said... (original post) learn how to write less ridiculously long winded posts to make a point lol.I still disagree. There's a benefit to having a clear starter that ...

So initially gripe that I have "no facts" then blame my supporting factual evidence as being too "long winded" for you to comprehend. Starting to see that the issue in not understanding my posts is more of a you issue than an issue with my posting style.

Regardless, Trask has performed well with the best group of WR at UF since Reidel, Ike, and Quez were running around in the mid-90's. He is the guy for this style of team with all of that talent. I just fail to see any reason to logically expect the offense to get better next year with Trask at the helm when he is losing that much production and talent at WR on top of the starting RB. Hence why you open up the position battle and see what Emory has this spring and fall with the personnel that is going to be out there for the 2020 season.

Look at the teams winning national titles in the past 2 years. They made tough decisions to bench more accomplished QBs (Hurts and Bryant) because the guy behind them gave the team a better chance to win. The world is not always fair, but Mullen is paid $6+ million a year to make the tough decisions when they are necessary. I am not saying that I know what the decision is (none of us have that sort of insight or access), I am just saying that using what was done in the prior year as the basis for not opening up the competition at the QB position is doing the team a disservice. If it was not, then Clemson and Bama would not be out here benching QBs that led teams to the CFP.

• UFTizzle said... (original post) Paging Doctor Johnson. This is Trask’s team. And warbuck, I’m not sure The King has an NFL arm. I could see him starting 3 years and getting his M...

If Flippy is the barometer for having an NFL arm very few QBs have one. Arm strength isn’t everything, if it were Dwayne Haskins would be a lot better than he is. Ironically the thing Haskins struggles with the most are timing and anticipation, which are Trask’s strengths.

• DRJohnson22 said... (original post) So initially gripe that I have "no facts" then blame my supporting factual evidence as being too "long winded" for you to c...

I don't mind if they open the competition (I wouldn't, but I'm fine if Dan does it); but to play devil's advocate... both of those teams benched a running QB in favor of considerable better throwing QB... so unless you actually believe Emory has a chance of being Lawrence or Tua.... not sure your logic holds up.

• Are people really opposed to having an open QB competition? Trask has performed well for 8 games. QB’s who have started for years and have been more successful have gotten replaced before. Thinking everyone wants him benched or they fail to appreciate his talent because they want an open competition is absurd. Not only will a competition make Trask a better player but it will also make the backup QB a better player as well. If Trask is truly the best QB he’ll win, if he doesn’t win that means we’ve found someone better and that’s still a win for the program.

• djrg said... (original post) I don't mind if they open the competition (I wouldn't, but I'm fine if Dan does it); but to play devil's advocate... both of those ...

I think it has less to do with the QB being a pocket passer and more to do with they went with the guy that helped to balance their offense more. Both were run first teams with Bryant/Tua because they were limited throwing the ball. They took a small hit in what they did best (run the ball) for the benefit of getting better at what they struggled with (throwing the ball). We are a pass first team because we simply can't run the ball. So a move to Emory would be taking a small hit throwing the ball (Emory is not nearly as limited a passer as many here seem to think) for the benefit of getting better at what we struggle with (running the ball).

No matter what style it is, run or pass, you simply can't win consistently being one dimensional. Whoever is the QB next year, we have to be balanced and get back to being able to effectively run the ball if we are going to beat the LSU and UGA types of the world.

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - 60% off Annual VIP Pass first year

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • To read this post and more, subscribe now - 60% off Annual VIP Pass first year

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • Kyle Trask is not opposed to an open QB competition because he knows he will win it.

Emory should have a solid role next year though. Then Emory can start for two years primed to blow up. Redshirt AR next year. Have him ready as a RS Sophomore in competition with a RS Freshman Del Rio.

Join

Join

Join

Join

Join
  • DRJohnson22 said... (original post) So initially gripe that I have "no facts" then blame my supporting factual evidence as being too "long winded" for you to c...

You don't think it can get better because we lose talent on offense? That happens every year. Don't look now but our all world TE, who wasn't seeing the ball consistently until Trask took over, will be back and leads the team in receiving yards, receptions and receiving TDs. Trevon Grimes is key, but if he returns, he is currently in a race with Van for second in receiving yards. Copeland has shown himself a solid target that could take the next step in 2020. Toney should be back in the slot. I think we have the weapons to still blow up. If we have any semblance of a running game with some play action, watch for Trask to be in some SEC Player of the Year discussions, if not more.

I agree though with opening up a QB battle that Trask will win. Emory should have a large role though next year, maybe even a Tebow sized 2006 role. He needs to add some weight in the offseason still.

• Nurglings said... (original post) It's weird that having worse WR's is seen as a point in Emory's favor. Wouldn't a more accurate and experienced QB help them ...

Ya i dont get it either. Why are we using our recievers being worse as a reason to start an inexperienced QB?

Join

Join

Join
  • Gatorboy843 said... (original post) Ya i dont get it either. Why are we using our recievers being worse as a reason to start an inexperienced QB?

The point is that if the receivers are worse then we should not be passing 35+ times a game. If we are not passing 35+ times a game, then maybe having a QB that can supplement the running game would be preferred to the QB that offers nothing in that department?

Join
  • Nurglings said... (original post) If Flippy is the barometer for having an NFL arm very few QBs have one. Arm strength isn’t everything, if it were Dwayne Haskins would be a lot b...

Dwayne was a monster in college, he ripped through defenses with precision and was the best QB last year not named tua, which might of been debatable for some. Dude played like one season in college. The nfl so far looks like he doesn’t have a lot game time experience. Mitchell Turbrisky for example was average in college and garbage in the nfl but he’s mobile I guess lol

• allsport21 said... (original post) Kyle Trask is not opposed to an open QB competition because he knows he will win it. Emory should have a solid role next year though. Then Emory ...

Unless Frankie comes back healthy and vastly improves over night. There’s no one on this roster that should even challenge trask.

• Competition should be good next offseason, especially when we add Gatewood, the Auburn transfer.

This post was edited by g8ters 10 months ago

• DRJohnson22 said... (original post) The point is that if the receivers are worse then we should not be passing 35+ times a game. If we are not passing 35+ times a game, then maybe ...

I think it’s also important to note a QB that’s a legit running threat causes the defense to freeze more, making it easier for amateur WRs to create separation.