How they shoot tonight will tell a story

How they shoot tonight will tell a story

• FS's shooting the 1st night can be blamed on a lack of experience and not having been able to shoot around much in that facility. Tonight they come in again and they should have had some practice time in the facility since the last game. They should have a feeling for the nets in the facility at this point.

If they do not improve substantially shooting wise, then it will likely be a very, very long season. FT shooting is a major concern as good shooters generally are good FT shooters. The inability to shoot FT's on a consistent basis is telling.

• Discussion
  • A lot of great three point shooters surprisingly are not equally great at FT line. Mostly because they are not dedicating equal practice time. Shooting FT mechanics and mindset are slightly different than shooting outside jumpers. Hal Greer from 76ers of yesteryear used to shoot jumpers when at FT line so not to alter shooting mechanics and he shot around 80% . But is up to coaches to demand players practice FT.

• Tonight we are likely to see a recurring pattern on offense.
    1. The ball goes around the three point line and it sticks there. Players panic and chuck up mostly three pointers. That is essentially the offense or lack of.
    2. Errant passes go to Robinson which then produces consistent turnovers.
    3. The guards try to slash to the paint, usually out of control, which leads to player control fouls and turnovers. This option worked when Huggins was there though.
    Bottom line: the team needs to use simple offensive plays such as ball screens for jumpers and or give-n-go layups. I don't see Hutson doing this. Put Mehiah and use him as a damn screen! Use other players to do the same. Then tell them to roll down. Why is that so hard?
    This year’s team has some ballers--Hill, Stroud, Ballard, Gage and Robinson. Hut has the firepower, but the coaching is not working
    I hope I am wrong. Let's see.

This post was edited by sindog 2 months ago

• sindog said... (original post)1. The ball goes around the three point line and it sticks there. Players panic and chuck up mostly three pointers. That is essentially the offense o...

I didn't really notice this happening all that much on Monday, we were getting decent shots, with plenty of time left on shot clock, just not making them. In prior seasons yes, we've seen this, but not something I really noticed on Monday.

This post was edited by jimmed 2 months ago

• sindog said... (original post)2. Errant passes go to Robinson which then produces consistent turnovers.

This happened a little bit, but overall they seemed to be able to make the entry pass (only a few went sideways). CSU would mostly hard-double and Robinson would usually kick it back out, the ball rotates, and we get an open shot (which we mostly missed).

• sindog said... (original post)3. The guards try to slash to the paint, usually out of control, which leads to player control fouls and turnovers.

This was a huge problem on Monday, the team needs to clean this up, play more in control and smarter. Maybe we can imagine some action where we're posting Orlando, who gets double-teamed, we rotate the ball back out and around, and add some pick-n-roll for the scrambling defense to have to keep track of as well (which if done effectively could end up with the ball back in Orlando's hands one-on-one later in the possession, or CSU in early foul trouble for running over screeners).

This post was edited by jimmed 2 months ago

• They are doubling Robinson because they don't respect the shooters. They are not even guarding the perimeter players.

They are daring Robinson to kick it back out.

The guards looked all out of control because they are dribbling into traffic. Since they don't respect their ability to shoot.

Perimeter shooting opens up driving lanes and it extends the defense making it a lot easier to operate on the offensive end.

• Agreed, to be good, to win games, we've got to be able to make open shots. CSU knows they can't cover Orlando one-on-one, so easy choice for them to come into the game doubling and seeing if the other guys can make shots. On Monday, our guys didn't make those shots. Today, we'll see

We should probably try to run more for early break opportunities, but if that doesn't materialize, then show some patience as doubling Robinson opens up a lot of off-ball action for us, not just open jumpers, if you work the clock and keep the defense recovering.

• When they feed Robinson on the post and he gets doubled they should send cutters to the basket and have players rotate as apposed to just spreading out around the perimeter. The on time I remember them doing that, Hill got an easy bucket at the rim. They just need to move and be active.

• this team is going to get rinsed a lot this year, huh.

• Right now it looks like it

• 0-4 for 3's and 0-2 FT. Looks like last game. Pretty sad so far

• Fans got their answer tonight and it is sad.

Unless the team changes its focus I do not see how they can win a conference game.

The defensive focus is destroying the team. One has to look at what the players do best and get that working 1st in each individual case. Then one can begin to make the other changes.

This team totally lacks confidence in anything they do. The one bright spot was the last three minutes. I thought they began to do some things right although it was obviously against a weaker group. I also thought they played better without Orlando. It is not his fault, but when he is out it changes who the offense goes through. It changed how the defense played.

CHUT is pushing Orlando to do things he is not ready for in my opinion. He is not ready for that dominant role. They are actually hurting his game in my opinion.

In reality the guy that could have played that role was Hart. He had the skill set that would make that possible on the outside and then on the inside. Orlando they can guard, but Hart they would not have been able to due to where he would have been playing. Orlando and Hart would have complemented each other.

There is nobody on this squad that remotely replaces Niven. I think that a lot of that rests with CHUT. I think he simply was too hard on Niven and he did not give him a little slack.

This post was edited by IbarHarry 2 months ago

• IbarHarry said... (original post)Fans got their answer tonight and it is sad.Unless the team changes its focus I do not see how they can win a conference game.The defensive focus ...

CHUT in dealing with Hart had a player whose focus was not playing college ball. I wager OR will not be back next season if the players around him don’t start to contribute. He is in a similar position that PG was under Cleveland.

• IbarHarry said... (original post)Fans got their answer tonight and it is sad.Unless the team changes its focus I do not see how they can win a conference game.The defensive focus ...

Harry, He was not too hard on Niven. He had people in his ear for the wrong reasons. You always make up things after the fact as if you knew something. Quite the Monday Morning QB'ing. People on here are going to think you're some insider.....that you are not.

• fightdogs said... (original post)Harry, He was not too hard on Niven. He had people in his ear for the wrong reasons. You always make up things after the fact as if you knew somet...

I can’t say if Hut was too hard on Hart, but he wasn’t playing him for some reason. And then when he did finally start playing him, he dominated. Unless there was some disciplinary issue, Hut should’ve been playing him more, sooner. It’s not like we were doing great or anything.