Proposal start date for Basketball

Proposal start date for Basketball

• Discussion
  • I saw a tweet from one of the out of state players saying he's enjoying California, so far.

Then Rothstein tweeted this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1303447896159850497

• Yes, but FS is not showing any signs of allowing its athletes to proceed. That is the problem with the release which is on the Insider Board.

• IbarHarry said... (original post)Yes, but FS is not showing any signs of allowing its athletes to proceed. That is the problem with the release which is on the Insider Board.

Fresno State might not be very transparent with the community. However, they are part of the Mountain West conference and I'm pretty sure they have been present during these conference meetings.

The fact that you have a player tweeting he's enjoying California. Let's you know that he's here and he's not here for a picnic.

Here's some more info:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MountainWest/status/1303430747710087168/photo/1
  • Castro is not about to do anything that goes against the Governor's or Chancellor White's views. It is as simple as that. The question is given Fresno County's status will they find a place in the new rules which will allow the assembly of the players. There are some educational exceptions.

Under the new rules it will take weeks for Fresno County to be reclassified even if the cases went to zero. The new structure in place is very restrictive with respect to the time to change categories which would open up a chance for change.

If congress passes a hold harmless clause I think the U would dramatically change their position. I think California will remain a thorn in the side of the MWC.

• I don't think you can draw that conclusion yet. This is an athletic situation situation not an academic one.

The reason the football season is not being played is because the whole league decided not to play this Fall it was a joint decision.

For basketball they have jointly decided thus far to carry on with the season. Unless, you can prove that Fresno State voted against that decision. Otherwise, it's wait and see.

We're just going to have to wait and see when that initial practice comes around. Hopefully, Fresno State basketball will be on the court.

• house32 said... (original post)I don't think you can draw that conclusion yet. This is an athletic situation situation not an academic one.The reason the football season is n...

Fresno did not have to say NO, because all they had to say is the Governor will not allow it to happen nor will Chancellor White. It was as simple as that. They really had no vote, but NO and the conference knew that. A vote was not necessary.

California remains the problem for the conference. Without special dispensation from the Governor of California nothing is going to happen with respect to Sports on California college campuses.

Every conference that has California colleges as their opponent or conference mate has had the same problem. It does not matter as to the level.

There is no way that Fresno County will met the levels necessary for practice to commence for any sport for the Winter season at this time. Again, if the Governor issues an exemption then things can proceed. Without his blessing nothing is going to happen.

This post was edited by IbarHarry 4 months ago

• Who says they are going to play the season in Fresno or California for that matter?

One thing for certain the season will not be played in a traditional manner.

It will probably be in a bubble in some neutral location.

The non conference will be in a bubble and conference play will be in a bubble.

There will not be any games in Fresno.

This post was edited by house32 4 months ago

• Play them all in Vegas....my colleagues just got back from there......its a party atmosphere while practicing social distancing and reasonable safety measures.

• house32 said... (original post)Who says they are going to play the season in Fresno or California for that matter?One thing for certain the season will not be played in a traditio...

I understand why you would say what you do, but they would have to do that for all sports as a result of Title IX. While they might do it for the two basketball teams I think it causes problems for all other sports.

Again I see two conditions to allow sports.

1) Is a National hold harmless clause.

2) the permission of the Governor.

The Republicans have removed the hold harmless stipulation for schools from their latest proposals. Without that the rest is mute.

• College basketball is set to start November 25th.

Will Fresno State be hooping in some bubble on that date?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1306343846972923904

• house32 said... (original post)College basketball is set to start November 25th. Will Fresno State be hooping in some bubble on that date?https://mobile.twitter.com/JonRothstein/s...

Most likely not with our current leadership in place

• With Be Bold Castro in charge any sports playing this year is unlikely. We are the only school that’s not even allowing our athletes on campus and any practice. If we do get to play we will be at a competitive disadvantage.

It’s really frustrating when we try to support a program to be competitive but the administration keeps it from happening.

If I am going to keep giving financial support, then our University President better start supporting our sports. If not I am not going to just throw my money away.

• Sadly you wont be the only one doing just what you have suggested! What in the world has happened to Dr. Castro's wisdom and eagerness to do what seems to be "the right thing" in at least allowing student-athletes to come to campus and safely engage in practice, meetings and sadly, virtual classes? Bye, bye sports as we know it and with it the donated monies that will dry up. Maybe this is the ultimate goal! Crap!!!