About to be swept by ASU

About to be swept by ASU

• Down 8-3 in the 8th.

Friday's game went to the wire and the last two have been close up until the 6th. The biggest difference between these teams is a viable bullpen and execution. Our bullpen is very sub-par right now. If I were Batesole, I would move Carvahal to the closer spot and Mitchell to the 3rd spot in the rotation. Still our bullpen is lacking. This year's team (most of Batesole's thinking back) cannot bunt to save their life. Do one of two things.... quit bunting (ala Oakland A's Moneyball strategy) or teach these kids how to bunt! Not one good bunt out of about 10 tries this weekend. Jamison bunted to the pitcher on Friday night and fortunately the pitcher fell down. We miss bunts and go down in the count and most of the time end up striking out. Also, last night we have runners on 2nd and 3rd with our 2-3-4 hitters coming up and Thimjon and Presno strike out and Nogales grounds out. That absolutely cannot happen if you want to beat a good team.

• Discussion
  • Something needs to improve.. Too many players left on base too many times all year.

• northvalleyfanatic said... (original post)Something needs to improve.. Too many players left on base too many times all year.

Starting with a new head coach.

• Outfield collectively hitting a dismal .212 to date . Seventeen BB's/44k's collectively to date.(prior to the weekend ASU series, outfield was collectively hitting .221 with 15 BB's/37 K's collectively) Team can't bunt, looks embarrassingly atrocious even attempting one of the core, basic, fundamentals of the game. Don't count on beating any relevant teams when a third of your line up struggles to put ball in play and the majority of your team can't execute a basic fundamental to advance runners/manufacture runs/apply pressure to defenses on demand. Doesn't appear to be an offensive plan, particularly late in games when team behind and everyone swinging from their heels. The Head Clown can beat the weak Sisters, but don't count on consistent wins against relevant programs.

• Was able to see the dogs play on Saturday. My observations - Starting pitcher Carvajal(he might be the tiniest pitcher I have ever seen )was in trouble every inning except the 5th inning. He pitched with great heart - however control problems all over the place. He hit three batters and had walked four through the first four innings I believe. In the sixth inning after we tied it up, he got yanked with two men on. Relief pitcher forced an easy ground ball that went through the wickets of the shortstop. Next batter up hit a three run homer and that was it. Batters could not lay down a bunt and we could not get enough timely hits. We had a leadoff triple in the top of the second inning and we could not even get them home! So frustrating. I will say I was pleasantly surprised at all of the Dog fans at the stadium. That was so encouraging to see!

This post was edited by dogsoftucson 12 months ago

• One thing Paul has talked about, correct me if I am wrong, is how many players have changed position. I believe the SS played CF last year as his speed and ability to make special catches was something to behold. He is struggling at SS.

What is puzzling is all of the changes that have been made. Batsole openly admits that it takes a while for these guys to learn and talk together on the in-field.

I guess I am asking why all the changes? Normally one would think this would all be planned ahead of time with the recruiting. Some of the outfielders are having a hard time judging fly balls and I believe they played in the in-field.

Is this a recruiting problem?

This post was edited by IbarHarry 12 months ago

• IbarH,
    I can only imagine the Head Clown is the infield Ring Leader, whose the OF Coach? Didn't want to comment on the actual OF play at this point, but since you bring it up.... As far as I can tell, there isn't an assistant on the Clowns staff that has ever caught a fly ball, in the outfield of relevance in their life? I sure hope I'm wrong, but if that is the case, I'd say the learning and improvement of the OF game is gonna be long process with as many mental mistakes made as physical mistakes. If there is an OF Coach of relevance and experience on the Head Clowns staff, please enlighten me, I interested to read about him and his Bio in this years press guide.

• dogsoftucson said... (original post)Was able to see the dogs play on Saturday. My observations - Starting pitcher Carvajal(he might be the tiniest pitcher I have ever seen )was in ...

Actually pretty competitive, but lots of Ks and no timely hitting. Bullpen problematic right now.

• IbarHarry said... (original post)One thing Paul has talked about, correct me if I am wrong, is how many players have changed position. I believe the SS played CF last year as his ...

We have one of our best outfielders on the bench. Infielder playing left field made some nice plays but also cost us big on a missed played ball.

• IbarHarry said... (original post)One thing Paul has talked about, correct me if I am wrong, is how many players have changed position. I believe the SS played CF last year as his ...

They have been weak up the middle since Fall Ball. We even dropped a pop up on the infield Sunday. Hopefully it gets better but you hold your breath . I think ASU had more Double plays Sunday than the dogs all season.

I heard Bates didn’t recruit hard because he was going to be gone. Winning the Mountain West gave him a 2 year extension. Maybe true, who knows!

• mustbethedawginme1 said... (original post)Outfield collectively hitting a dismal .212 to date . Seventeen BB's/44k's collectively to date.(prior to the weekend ASU serie...

In prior years you k a couple of times and your on the bench. Seems like he’s willing to ride his Mendoza line hitters for the rest of the year.

• dogsoftucson said... (original post)Was able to see the dogs play on Saturday. My observations - Starting pitcher Carvajal(he might be the tiniest pitcher I have ever seen )was in ...

The old Batesole would bench players who don’t execute. Appears some players get a lot of rope and others do not. Higgins and Johnson doing a nice job lately. Plus, a player like Thimjon. I think he is better suited later in order. Not enough contact for a #2 hitter. He can hit a ball out of Dodge but to expect him to put it simply get consistent contact is asking a lot from a guy who is rarely expected to bunt.

A ball going between the wickets or miss playing a ball in the outfield has nothing to do with communication.

• Stay with me on this because the website is missing some things, so I may be leaving a player or two out. Some of the Of's coached by the current OF coach at FSU. Moressi, Susdorf, Storey (converted inf), Hedstrom (converted inf), Muno (spent a few games in the OF as a frosh), Gowens, Judge, Robinson, Detwiler, Temple, Luplow, Lewis, Ashford. This years team returns 2 full time starting position players and a DH that platooned last year. A bunch of bullpen guys that replace two starters on the mound from last year that combined for a 22-2 record. They are young, inexperienced, and have a lot of raw ability. Not unlike the 04 team, the 07 team, the 09 team, the 2012 team, and the 2017 team. All of these teams followed old successful teams (with the exception of 04, that was essentially Batesole's first recruiting class as freshman), and when all those players developed over the next couple of years, success followed with a conference championship and a regional ( 06/ 07/ 08/ 09/ 10/ 11/ 12/ 16/ 19 = 9 CONF Champs and/or CONF tournament champs), (06/07/08/09/11/12/19 = 8 NCAA regionals). You can certainly have an opinion on what you think should be happening, but to be fair, at least base your opinion on fact, accurate history, and followed results. For example, criticism of the lull between 2012 and 2019 is completely fair, based on fact and result. Staffing changes were addressed and you saw a drastic improvement 2 years later in 2019. That 08 team would not have gone to ASU and won a series early in the year, and certainly not when they were all frosh and sophs. But at the end of the year in 08, when they were seasoned, and experienced, they outplayed a team with 5 big leaguers on the roster, and 6 more players that reached AA or higher. We all want better results, as do the players and coaches. As far as experienced coaches are concerned, in terms of coaching and developing good players, that's just a silly comment. The bio's of the coaches on Batesole's staff is dripping with success and experience. If you just have a personal ax to grind then by all means continue to do it, that's your right and privilege. No one can tell you otherwise. But the facts and accomplishments can't be erased. I am sure that in whatever industry you are in, you have enjoyed a ton of success on a departmental, regional, and national level. Undoubtedly you have 100% success rate, have met and exceeded every goal set by yourself and your administrators, bosses, etc.... And if you have not, to be fair to you, these coaches hold high profile and public positions by choice, therefore they open themselves up to public criticism regardless of where it comes from. They have to take the scrutiny, unlike most professions, their performance is under a microscope. Just use facts, not name calling, your argument actually would have more merit if you did that. For example, "hey coaches, you have won a lot of games and have a ton of experience, make your team better, do a better job." As opposed to "hey coaches, you're clowns!" That would be the equivalent of me calling you immature and sophomoric rather than me pointing out that your criticism simply ignores facts and history that can all be easily accessed by looking at results and statistics.

• So....who is this "Messiah" of an OF Coach you vehemently defend? It appears you've duplicated a bio from a media guide which in my opinion is more like an online dating bio. And we all know how those "facts" can be embellished and stretched. In many instances like putting lipstick on a pig. However, in fairness, perhaps the current OF Clown Coach, whoever it is, should ask you for some advice on "Defense". You've attempted to do an admirable job defending someone. Perhaps your defensive techniques and prowess on the keyboard could rub off on whoever has the responsibility of the current young men on the roster and their game day OF defense could improve? I'm aware of all the names you've recited of the past players. Only 1 maybe, maybe 2 of the names you've spouted off were truly good/excellent defensive players. It was their bats at the collegiate level that let them move to the next level or receive any post season honors. This is not a knock on any of those young men, but if you don't hit, you don't get to stand in the pasture, to their credit. But at this point I'll assume you'll assign these players offensive effectiveness to the "OF Coach" too? As for facts and history, I've watched a lot of baseball at FSU since the 70's. Anyway, nice try, keep carrying the Kool-Aid bucket and lining up for the free game day passes.

• Not a messiah, just a coach. Just listed some of the players Pat has coached. And yes. They were good offensively. Batesole is the hitting coach. And that’s fantastic that you have been a supporter of Bulldog Baseball since the 70’s. I have as well. Perhaps you should visit with the coaches and share your concerns. In my attempt to have a reasonable discussion with an individual with such disdain for the coaches I have made an error in judgement. I probably should have leveled myself to your tenor by simply sticking my tongue out and saying, “I know you are, but what am I?”

This post was edited by fsbaseballfan 12 months ago

• ...and the pitching coach was a volunteer coach at Santa Clara the last two years.

This is his first gig with no prior D1 level paid experience.

• The pitching coach Is Ryan Overland. His 3rd year in that role. He was a catcher (As was coach Bennett), on the national championship team. The other assistant is Greg Gonzales. He assists with the pitching. He was an all American with the Dogs in 2011 with an 11-1 record. Golden spikes award semi finalist that year as well.

• fsbaseballfan said... (original post)The pitching coach Is Ryan Overland. His 3rd year in that role. He was a catcher (As was coach Bennett), on the national championship team. Th...

Just saying this sounds like the end of Hill's tenure in that the budget would not allow him to hire any top assistants. Pat had to make do with teaching a lot of inexperienced coaches. That can be hit or miss.

• Overland has been on staff for 8 years. 10 total years as a D1 coach. Recruiting coordinator for 8, 3rd year as pitching coach.

Waer has over 20 years of coaching experience, 11 years of D1 experience. Has been recruiting coordinator now back as the volunteer coach. He teaches in CUSD.

Gonzales is in his 1st full time paid coaching role.

From what I understand regarding the budget, you are correct. I don't know if this is 100% valid, but I was told the reason Waer could not come back in a full time role is due to the fact that the CUSD pay scale is substantially higher than what baseball assistants are paid at FS.

• A much needed new Head Coach would more than likely clean house with the current staff.