Pac 12 Baseball

Pac 12 Baseball

• All sizzle and no steak. UCLA, with all the advantages of hosting the Regional barely beat a very pedestrian grouping. Then hosts a Super Regional and falls flat on their face to Michigan of all teams. I realize the Big 10 is better than they have been in years past but UCLA proved their gaudy record was built off a weak conference.

On to Stanford. Completely outmatched in Starkville. Stanford’s free swingers with their “launch point” swing techniques were ineffective against good pitching. Good for the occasional HR but not against a team that was going to score 7 plus runs against your pitching. It was a bit satisfying to see Miss State give Stanford a taste of what Stanford gave to Fresno with a pitcher struggling to throw strikes.

It was also a real shame Fresno didn’t face Stanford in a Super Regional formal. If Stanford would have faced Jensen and Moore back to back Dogs go 2-0.

• Discussion
  • LuDog70 said... (original post)

All sizzle and no steak. UCLA, with all the advantages of hosting the Regional barely beat a very pedestrian grouping. Then hosts a Super Regional and falls flat on their face to Michigan of all teams. I realize the Big 10 is better than they have been in years past but UCLA proved their gaudy record was built off a weak conference.

On to Stanford. Completely outmatched in Starkville. Stanford’s free swingers with their “launch point” swing techniques were ineffective against good pitching. Good for the occasional HR but not against a team that was going to score 7 plus runs against your pitching. It was a bit satisfying to see Miss State give Stanford a taste of what Stanford gave to Fresno with a pitcher struggling to throw strikes.

It was also a real shame Fresno didn’t face Stanford in a Super Regional formal. If Stanford would have faced Jensen and Moore back to back Dogs go 2-0.

Well, we already know what Stanford did against our number two starter. Absolutely nothing

This post was edited by northvalleyfanatic 2 years ago

• UCLA did not fall on their face, they played three games (close loss) and lost to a great team. What does the world come to that we are saying that a super regional season is a failure. Theres over 300 teams in D1 and while they were ranked #1, this is the first series loss they had all season. It happens. I am sure people said UCONN womens basketball sucked a few years when they went undefeated until losing in the tournament, but I do not agree with that logic. Schools like UCLA don't have problems reloading, they gave their fans a good run and will be back in the tourney next year.

• FSBulldogfan1221 said... (original post)

UCLA did not fall on their face, they played three games (close loss) and lost to a great team. What does the world come to that we are saying that a super regional season is a failure. Theres over 300 teams in D1 and while they were ranked #1, this is the first series loss they had all season. It happens. I am sure people said UCONN womens basketball sucked a few years when they went undefeated until losing in the tournament, but I do not agree with that logic. Schools like UCLA don't have problems reloading, they gave their fans a good run and will be back in the tourney next year.

UCLA has been ranked #1 virtually all season. They struggled in their weak regional and lost to an unranked Michigan team. Those are just facts. They were never really the #1 team in the country.

Let’s just face facts, Western baseball has really fallen back from prior glory days. The only good team in the MWC was FS. The PAC 12 didn’t show well at all in Regionals stacked in their favor, the Big West did nothing and the WCC isn’t even on the radar.

• Wish we could unwind the 5th inning of Monday’s game with Stanford and perhaps the Dogs could have pulled it out.

I think FSU would have put on a better showing against Mississippi State than Stanford. The 1, 2 punch of FSU top pitchers would have kept is close.

Did you see the stadium they had at Mississippi State? Amazing. Made Chukchansi Park look like a Single A ballpark. Better yet, did you see their fan support? They practically had fans backed up to the urinals watching the game. Entertainment in Starkville must be pretty slow.

Love to see locals engaged in their college venues. Great, wholesome entertainment. Find it more entertaining than cheering on a bunch of millionaire professionals.

• Holiday12345 said... (original post)

Wish we could unwind the 5th inning of Monday’s game with Stanford and perhaps the Dogs could have pulled it out.

I think FSU would have put on a better showing against Mississippi State than Stanford. The 1, 2 punch of FSU top pitchers would have kept is close.

Did you see the stadium they had at Mississippi State? Amazing. Made Chukchansi Park look like a Single A ballpark. Better yet, did you see their fan support? They practically had fans backed up to the urinals watching the game. Entertainment in Starkville must be pretty slow.

Love to see locals engaged in their college venues. Great, wholesome entertainment. Find it more entertaining than cheering on a bunch of millionaire professionals.

It is amazing down South. If you haven't been, save your nickels and go to an Ole Miss Football game and check out the "Grove" during a tailgate. It's a cross between a football pep rally, a Barbeque, and a Prom..Yes, the young ladies dress up like Barbie Dolls. An amazing experience.

• northvalleyfanatic said... (original post)

It is amazing down South. If you haven't been, save your nickels and go to an Ole Miss Football game and check out the "Grove" during a tailgate. It's a cross between a football pep rally, a Barbeque, and a Prom..Yes, the young ladies dress up like Barbie Dolls. An amazing experience.

Tailgates at the Grove look like staging grounds for the Miss USA contest. And yes college baseball games in places like Baton Rouge, Fayetteville and Starkville are attended like no other.

• LuDog70... you sound like you weren't a very good baseball player when you played Clovis Cougar League. When the pitching diamond went from 46 feet to 60 feet you must've had a hard time functioning. You might've excelled at the game on the sandlot but once you signed up for Clovis Cougar League the game sped up too quickly for you. So, you like to project your neurosis from childhood youth baseball onto college sports. It's unfortunate you think a team like UCLA that didn't even lose 10 games on the regular season weren't worthy of a number 1 ranking. If every single college baseball team played UCLA's schedule this year you would be hard pressed to find many teams losing less that ten games like UCLA... college baseball is a tough sport to dominate... there are so many variables in college baseball to prevent a team from running the table on a regular basis like Duke or Kentucky in basketball... a great pitcher for a mediocre team with a decent defense could beat anybody any night... you can't say that for the other major sports... claiming Michigan isn't a good baseball team isn't a very nice thing to say... Jim Abbott pitched at Michigan... you shouldn't make light of teams that gave a handicapped one armed pitcher a chance to succeed at the highest level... shame on you... change your slutty icon picture... clean it up LuDog70...

• Holiday12345 said... (original post)

Wish we could unwind the 5th inning of Monday’s game with Stanford and perhaps the Dogs could have pulled it out.

I was thinking something similar. Fresno State was perfectly suited to thrive in that Starkville environment. I think they would have put up a better effort than Stanford.

• MelvinMason said... (original post)

LuDog70... you sound like you weren't a very good baseball player when you played Clovis Cougar League. When the pitching diamond went from 46 feet to 60 feet you must've had a hard time functioning. You might've excelled at the game on the sandlot but once you signed up for Clovis Cougar League the game sped up too quickly for you. So, you like to project your neurosis from childhood youth baseball onto college sports. It's unfortunate you think a team like UCLA that didn't even lose 10 games on the regular season weren't worthy of a number 1 ranking. If every single college baseball team played UCLA's schedule this year you would be hard pressed to find many teams losing less that ten games like UCLA... college baseball is a tough sport to dominate... there are so many variables in college baseball to prevent a team from running the table on a regular basis like Duke or Kentucky in basketball... a great pitcher for a mediocre team with a decent defense could beat anybody any night... you can't say that for the other major sports... claiming Michigan isn't a good baseball team isn't a very nice thing to say... Jim Abbott pitched at Michigan... you shouldn't make light of teams that gave a handicapped one armed pitcher a chance to succeed at the highest level... shame on you... change your slutty icon picture... clean it up LuDog70...

Speaking of cleaning things up where in the rules of grammar does “...” fit? Regarding my picture, just for you I’ll keep it up a few more years.

Back to baseball, where did I say #3 regional seed Michigan wasn’t a good team? They are good, obviously good enough to beat UCLA at home twice. If you were perceptive, which you obviously aren’t you’d realize I was questioning UCLA’s #1 ranking. UCLA is a good team but they obviously aren’t the best team in the country. Rankings, by their nature, are biased and obviously have been overrating the PAC-12 all season. Stanford wasn’t even competitive in Starkville despite being the #4 ranked team in the country.

You just keep believing the Pac 12 is whatever you think they are but one fact remains, no Pac 12 teams in Omaha. The SEC has 4. If Louisville had played Ole Miss instead of ECU there might have been 5...

This post was edited by LuDog70 2 years ago

• LuDog70... I said at the beginning of the season Fresno State would reach a regional this year and Batesole would receive a 2 year extension based on this year's success... that's exactly what happened... I even added a little side note and claimed Batesole's extension would resemble Juan Uribe's extensions which were two year contracts... extensions etc... unfortunately... nobody seemed to notice I was correct... they want to skirt the issue and talk about my ellipses... you'll discover ellipses inside the post about Fresno State making a regional and Batesole receiving an extension... the ellipses were inserted into that post as well... basically... well... to compel the reader to pause and wonder at my ability to predict the future before it happened but nobody seemed to realize what I actually foretold prior to it happening... however... the ellipsis seemed to due to adverse effect and cause the reader to miss the prophecy I breathed into existence before the foundation of the 2019 Diamond Dog season and that's troubling. I posted a note on the prophecy at the beginning of the year on the forum so you can read the post and you'll discover I am more prophetic than perceptive but whatever... the post was marked and dated at the beginning of the season... clean it up LuDog70...

This post was edited by MelvinMason 2 years ago

• I miss the way this board used to be.

• Oh I am sorry... you don't like posters telling you the 2019 Fresno State baseball team will make the regionals this year and that Batesole will get a 2 year extension due to the success of the year months in advance... only to see that transpire months later... you miss people keeping you in the dark rather than enlightening you well before it happened... or at least attempt to enlighten you... I am sorry... I'll try and post dry and stale posts that aren't revolutionary and prophetic...

This post was edited by MelvinMason 2 years ago

• MelvinMason said... (original post)

LuDog70... I said at the beginning of the season Fresno State would reach a regional this year and Batesole would receive a 2 year extension based on this year's success... that's exactly what happened... I even added a little side note and claimed Batesole's extension would resemble Juan Uribe's extensions which were two year contracts... extensions etc... unfortunately... nobody seemed to notice I was correct... they want to skirt the issue and talk about my ellipses... you'll discover ellipses inside the post about Fresno State making a regional and Batesole receiving an extension... the ellipses were inserted into that post as well... basically... well... to compel the reader to pause and wonder at my ability to predict the future before it happened but nobody seemed to realize what I actually foretold prior to it happening... however... the ellipsis seemed to due to adverse effect and cause the reader to miss the prophecy I breathed into existence before the foundation of the 2019 Diamond Dog season and that's troubling. I posted a note on the prophecy at the beginning of the year on the forum so you can read the post and you'll discover I am more prophetic than perceptive but whatever... the post was marked and dated at the beginning of the season... clean it up LuDog70...

Aren’t you just the clairvoyant one.

FWIW, I’m glad your prognostications on the team were right. Not so much on Batesole’s extension.

The picture stays...get over it.

This post was edited by LuDog70 2 years ago

• The picture looks like Candice Swanepool. Personally, I had a paradox over the season. When they started off the season I found myself rooting against them because I knew they would give Batesole an extension if my prophecy came true. I was suffering from a severe paradox all season. I wanted the team to make a regional. However, I knew if they made a regional Batesole would get a two year extension and we would return back to mediocrity. I wanted the team to fail yet I didn't because if they failed then my prophecy would've been false. My prophecy would've been false yet we would've been rid of Batesole. I can't believe nobody else dealt with a similar paradox, rooting for them knowing Batesole would get an extension if they earned a regional. I am a pretty intuitive person. I was like... okay do I want Fresno State to earn a regional and see Fresno State give Batesole an extension like my article predicted at the beginning of the year or do I wan't them to underachieve, knowing they would fire Batesole if they underachieved... I can't believe nobody else realized if they succeeded Batesole would get a two year extension yet if they failed we would potentially be rid of him... the season was a paradox for me... knowing the joy a losing season would've brought since they would've fired Batesole... what a con job... the one year it matters for him... the one year his job is on the line he overachieves... I saw this coming a mile away...