***Atlanta Braves running thread

***Atlanta Braves running thread

• Figured this would be a good time to start a thread for discussing the Braves.

Two of the top 10 2B prospects is exciting, wonder if Travis Demeritte would make the top 10 for third basemen if he moved there:

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/213958338/2017-top-10-second-base-prospects/?partnerId=as_atl_20170123_69579696&adbid=823558225312104448&adbpl=tw&adbpr=21436663

• Discussion
  • Kipp Adams said... (original post)

Figured this would be a good time to start a thread for discussing the Braves.

Two of the top 10 2B prospects is exciting, wonder if Travis Demeritte would make the top 10 for third basemen if he moved there:

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/213958338/2017-top-10-second-base-prospects/?partnerId=as_atl_20170123_69579696&adbid=823558225312104448&adbpl=tw&adbpr=21436663

The best part of Demeritte is what we got him for.

• He needs to cut down his swing. You don't see Major Leaguers take that kind of rip, because of the speed, and movement of the Pitches.

• I think the Braves can threaten for Wild card but still might be a year away realistically

• DawginLex said... (original post)

I think the Braves can threaten for Wild card but still might be a year away realistically

Still a year away but the rebuild is going very well. Still need answers primarily at C, 3B and corner OF

• VirginiaDawg said... (original post)

Still a year away but the rebuild is going very well. Still need answers primarily at C, 3B and corner OF

I think we will get OK production out of C. Agreed on the rest. I would just really like to see one new young pitcher pop and Folty to continue to progress

• PaksinVA said... (original post)

I think we will get OK production out of C. Agreed on the rest. I would just really like to see one new young pitcher pop and Folty to continue to progress

We could get OK production from Flowers and Suzuki but they're both very much stop gap options and not guys that'll be real answers for us in 2018 when we move back into our competitive window

This post was edited by VirginiaDawg 3 years ago

• Need Jaime Garcia to have a great first half so Braves can flip him for a hitter.

Not sure how much I'd tout 2B. Out of the top 6, there are 2 Cubans (who apparently have a different ideal for 2B's...), 2 kids whose real position is "hitter"... and 2 Braves' farm hands. More of an odd quirk, but also not a position where the entire top 10 is in the top 30 overall prospects either.

Still, the future is bright for the Braves. Really think they could win a WS this decade with the amount of talent they have on the farm...

Demeritte will need to move to LF to see PT, his speed is better suited for the OF and is blocked at 2B and 3B unless a few prospects regress...

• EagleWatchDawg said... (original post)

Demeritte will need to move to LF to see PT, his speed is better suited for the OF and is blocked at 2B and 3B unless a few prospects regress...

who would be blocking him if he moved to 3B? already ahead of Riley, and I don't think Ruiz is the short or long term answer. With his raw power i would like us to give him sometime in the OF, he's athletic enough to play the corners at least. Maitan is at least 4-5 years away from the bigs so i think demeritte could be a good stop gap at 3B if we decide to move him there. Albies has 2B locked up and will probably be in the MLB before the all star break

• RafiBomb said... (original post)

who would be blocking him if he moved to 3B? already ahead of Riley, and I don't think Ruiz is the short or long term answer. With his raw power i would like us to give him sometime in the OF, he's athletic enough to play the corners at least. Maitan is at least 4-5 years away from the bigs so i think demeritte could be a good stop gap at 3B if we decide to move him there. Albies has 2B locked up and will probably be in the MLB before the all star break

Just because Baseball America has him ranked above Riley does not mean the organization does, Ruiz will get a shot at 3B this year before Demeritte would and Riley is only a year or two with continued development from being our 3B. Not to mention Garcia did a great job there the second half of the year after he was recalled, so he may be the "stopgap" until Riley arrives. Garcia can hit, the question has always been will his defense allow him to stay on the field. 3B will be a log jam after this season, Demerittes ideal fit is LF, he doesn't have the ideal arm for RF and Inciarte has CF locked down. Demeritte will either be moved to LF or traded within 2 years for more prospects. Our biggest concerns after this year in regards to competing for championships will be at C and a corner OF if talking positional players. Best case for us this year is Dickey, Colon and Garcia have great 1st halfs and we trade high and bring some contributors in, we need a true #1 to trot out against the Kershaws, Strasburgs of the world when we become playoff competitors again.

This post was edited by EagleWatchDawg 3 years ago

• I was saying I think he is ahead of Riley because of experience at this point. Maybe it is ideal for him to move to LF but maybe not. For a kid that has played SS, 2B, or 3B is whole life it might be more comfortable for him to stay in the infield. I agree Ruiz will get a shot this year i just dont think he sticks around for a significant amount of time because of said talent coming in behind him. We have Kemp for another 3 years i think? so don't see LF being a pressing need like catcher will be. We need to find someone that can come in a handle the young staff that will eventually be in Suntrust.

Also just saw where Demeritte was invited to spring training. only other infielder was Albies. Saw that Bonafacio was invited as well. could be the 4th outfielder once again

This post was edited by RafiBomb 3 years ago

• Non roster Spring Training Invitees

Pitchers

# Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
    — Andrew Albers R/L 6'1" 200lbs 10/6/85
    — Blaine Boyer R/R 6'3" 225lbs 7/11/81
    30 Rhiner Cruz R/R 6'2" 210lbs 11/1/86
    50 John Danks L/L 6'1" 210lbs 4/15/85
    60 Joel De La Cruz R/R 6'1" 240lbs 6/9/89
    48 Sam Freeman R/L 5'11" 180lbs 6/24/87
    71 Adam Kolarek L/L 6'3" 205lbs 1/14/89
    — A.J. Minter L/L 6'0" 205lbs 9/2/93
    — Sean Newcomb L/L 6'5" 255lbs 6/12/93
    34 Eric O'Flaherty L/L 6'2" 210lbs 2/5/85
    52 Jordan Walden R/R 6'5" 250lbs 11/16/87
    — Patrick Weigel R/R 6'6" 220lbs 7/8/94

Catchers

# Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
    72 David Freitas R/R 6'3" 225lbs 3/18/89
    18 Blake Lalli L/R 6'1" 210lbs 5/12/83
    — Joe Odom R/R 6'2" 225lbs 1/9/92
    73 Braeden Schlehuber R/R 6'2" 210lbs 1/7/88
    — Kade Scivicque R/R 6'0" 225lbs 3/22/93

Infield

# Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
    — Ozzie Albies S/R 5'9" 160lbs 1/7/97
    — Travis Demeritte R/R 6'0" 180lbs 9/30/94

Outfield

# Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
    64 Emilio Bonifacio S/R 5'10" 210lbs 4/23/85
    — Dustin Peterson R/R 6'2" 210lbs 9/10/94

• EagleWatchDawg said... (original post)

Just because Baseball America has him ranked above Riley does not mean the organization does, Ruiz will get a shot at 3B this year before Demeritte would and Riley is only a year or two with continued development from being our 3B. Not to mention Garcia did a great job there the second half of the year after he was recalled, so he may be the "stopgap" until Riley arrives. Garcia can hit, the question has always been will his defense allow him to stay on the field. 3B will be a log jam after this season, Demerittes ideal fit is LF, he doesn't have the ideal arm for RF and Inciarte has CF locked down. Demeritte will either be moved to LF or traded within 2 years for more prospects. Our biggest concerns after this year in regards to competing for championships will be at C and a corner OF if talking positional players. Best case for us this year is Dickey, Colon and Garcia have great 1st halfs and we trade high and bring some contributors in, we need a true #1 to trot out against the Kershaws, Strasburgs of the world when we become playoff competitors again.

Demerits is a MUCH better defensive option than Riley. It's quite possible Riley has to slide over to 1B. It'd be a shame to hide him arm strength at 1B but we will see how he develops. I'd be careful penciling him in at 3B.

Non roster Spring Training Invitees

Pitchers

# Name B/T Ht Wt DOB

— Andrew Albers R/L 6'1" 200lbs 10/6/85

— Blaine Boyer R/R 6'3" 225lbs 7/11/81

30 Rhiner Cruz R/R 6'2" 210lbs 11/1/86

50 John Danks L/L 6'1" 210lbs 4/15/85

60 Joel De La Cruz R/R 6'1" 240lbs 6/9/89

48 Sam Freeman R/L 5'11" 180lbs 6/24/87

71 Adam Kolarek L/L 6'3" 205lbs 1/14/89

— A.J. Minter L/L 6'0" 205lbs 9/2/93

— Sean Newcomb L/L 6'5" 255lbs 6/12/93

34 Eric O'Flaherty L/L 6'2" 210lbs 2/5/85

52 Jordan Walden R/R 6'5" 250lbs 11/16/87

— Patrick Weigel R/R 6'6" 220lbs 7/8/94

Catchers

# Name B/T Ht Wt DOB

72 David Freitas R/R 6'3" 225lbs 3/18/89

18 Blake Lalli L/R 6'1" 210lbs 5/12/83

— Joe Odom R/R 6'2" 225lbs 1/9/92

73 Braeden Schlehuber R/R 6'2" 210lbs 1/7/88

— Kade Scivicque R/R 6'0" 225lbs 3/22/93

Infield

# Name B/T Ht Wt DOB

— Ozzie Albies S/R 5'9" 160lbs 1/7/97

— Travis Demeritte R/R 6'0" 180lbs 9/30/94

Outfield

# Name B/T Ht Wt DOB

64 Emilio Bonifacio S/R 5'10" 210lbs 4/23/85

— Dustin Peterson R/R 6'2" 210lbs 9/10/94

Really going to be interesting to see how Minter, Newcomb, Weigel, Scivicque, Albies, Demeritte, and Peterson do during ST.

I really don't want to see Bonifacio suit up again for the Braves.

• Braves in Keith Law's Top 100 so far:

50. Fried
    52. Anderson
    59. Maitan
    77. Gohara
    81. Newcomb

Guys that will be somewhere in the Top 50: Swanson, Albies, Allard, Acuna, Soroka and maybe Touissant

Braves have a very good shot at sneaking double-digit players into the Top 100, 3-4 of which could be helping the major league team in the next year or two or already are in Swanson's case.

Really going to be interesting to see how Minter, Newcomb, Weigel, Scivicque, Albies, Demeritte, and Peterson do during ST.

I really don't want to see Bonifacio suit up again for the Braves.

yeah that group of pitchers is gonna be really interesting/fun to watch. Minter and Weigel especially. Liked seeing Walden and O'flaherty back. Bullpen should be more than okay this season. I agree with boni, would like someone more versatile off the bench in that case

yeah that group of pitchers is gonna be really interesting/fun to watch. Minter and Weigel especially. Liked seeing Walden and O'flaherty back. Bullpen should be more than okay this season. I agree with boni, would like someone more versatile off the bench in that case

I think we are plenty versatile enough with Jace, Rodriguez, and Micah that we don't need Boni.

Bullpen should actually be pretty dang good with Vizcaino, Krol, Cabrera, Johnson, Riverio, Paco, Collmenter and then one of Roe, Walden, Ramirez, Boyer, Biddle and EOF all fighting for the eighth spot.

I think we are plenty versatile enough with Jace, Rodriguez, and Micah that we don't need Boni.

Bullpen should actually be pretty dang good with Vizcaino, Krol, Cabrera, Johnson, Riverio, Paco, Collmenter and then one of Roe, Walden, Ramirez, Boyer, Biddle and EOF all fighting for the eighth spot.

most definitely. the one player im really looking forward in seeing the season is Fried, and the 6 to 7 pitchers we just drafted (anderson, wentz, muller, etc.).

most definitely. the one player im really looking forward in seeing the season is Fried, and the 6 to 7 pitchers we just drafted (anderson, wentz, muller, etc.).

I'll be monitoring the C position very closely. Can Jackson stick back there for a full year? Can Herbert adjust and get it going with his bat? Can someone like Cumberland, Morales, Scivicque or even Murphy or Odom impress? How will Gutierrez do his first year in the system?

This post was edited by VirginiaDawg 3 years ago

• Braves just picked up an interesting player today in Adam Walker (catcher in high school). Has crazy power but whiffs a ton. Might be a nice bench player and wonder if they try him at catcher where he'd be more valuable (doubtful though).

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - 50% off Annual VIP Pass first year

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • To read this post and more, subscribe now - 50% off Annual VIP Pass first year

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • Surprised that Soroka is going to end up outside the Top 100

Surprised that Soroka is going to end up outside the Top 100

that's kind of baffling to me. Dude can flat out pitch. He's been nothing but consistent since he was drafted. I think it's just one of those things where a guy gets over looked because of the over whelming talent through out the organization