John Wayne

John Wayne

Arrow-5
  • About to have his name removed from a few things and deservedly so. Hateful people should be exposed as the cowards they are or in this case were.

• Discussion
  • ugareid1 said... (original post)

About to have his name removed from a few things and deservedly so. Hateful people should be exposed as the cowards they are or in this case were.

I'll take the bait.

While I do not agree with John's assessment of people or his attitude (it really is sad to see how blinded people were at the time), why must we always re-write history when at that time, the public sentiment was so much different than today?

I'm tired of this liberal agenda in which anything in history that could possibly be offensive changing that history.

But we allow congresswomen to be blatantly anti-Semitic or refuse to censor racists like Louis Farrakhan. But it is ok to censor and re-write history from over a half century ago.

This post was edited by BigDrewUGA 10 months ago

• Removing his name isn't changing history. He shouldn't be glorified either.

Farrakhan has very little influence in this country and I'd argue that the right has just as many people as the left in office that spew hate. I couldn't care less about either party.

Removing his name isn't changing history. He shouldn't be glorified either.

Farrakhan has very little influence in this country and I'd argue that the right has just as many people as the left in office that spew hate. I couldn't care less about either party.

Spewing hate and being vilified for hate is definitely part of the political divide.

It is largely ignored/overlooked when a liberal says something poor, but let a conservative say anything remotely of consequence and there is a public lynching.

I am not a Trump guy...in fact, I dislike him very much. But the media narrative is largely against conservative values. In the case of John Wayne, pulling up an interview from the 1960s is a sign of that.

Farrakhan is supported by many Democratic members of Congress, and a former President. No condemning from them.

What do remove John Wayne's name from? The millions he donated to charity? The good he brought for decades prior to an article being re-hashed by someone with a blatant agenda?

Was his opinion right? Absolutely not. But you don't change history, especially while ignoring what happened at the time.

• What is this changing history you keep referring to? Am I wrong for saying he shouldn't be glorified?

The Clinton's give to charity but I'm quite sure you think they are bad people. So do I. I dont care what he donated. The fact still remains that towards the end of his life he still thought black people were not intelligent enough to contribute to our American Society. To me, that's a scum human being.

Republican members of Congress support people with extreme right wing views. Please dont come with the media bias. Call out both sides if you're going to be honest about politics in our country.

What is this changing history you keep referring to? Am I wrong for saying he shouldn't be glorified?

The Clinton's give to charity but I'm quite sure you think they are bad people. So do I. I dont care what he donated. The fact still remains that towards the end of his life he still thought black people were not intelligent enough to contribute to our American Society. To me, that's a scum human being.

Republican members of Congress support people with extreme right wing views. Please dont come with the media bias. Call out both sides if you're going to be honest about politics in our country.

What exactly do you interpret as being the "extreme right". I realize that the contemporary media and pop culture generally view it in a negative light. Just curious for this discussion, not trying to be that guy.

This post was edited by mangymutt 10 months ago

• mangymutt said... (original post)

What exactly do you interpret as being the "extreme right". I realize that the contemporary media and pop culture generally view it in a negative light. Just curious for this discussion, not trying to be that guy.

The opposite of what you think the extreme left would be.

What is this changing history you keep referring to? Am I wrong for saying he shouldn't be glorified?

The issue isn't that you are against glorifying him. No one has in decades. But to change anything...whether it's his name on a star or building...is wrong in my mind. Boycott channels that play his movies, don't buy Wayne branded stuff, but let's not re-write history or not put history into context of the times.

Same with the Clintons....dirty as they come, but there is no reason to change what has been to this point.

And we are fed much more by the media the extreme left than the extreme right. It's sad, but it's the truth. Of course, Fox News takes the other extreme, but overall, there is general more left leaning bias than there is a right leaning bias in our media and what we are fed. It's why I stay away from cable news media in general....there is no fair reporting anymore, and the facts are always bent to fit the narrative. I miss the time when I was younger and we were given a set of facts and mostly allowed to come to conclusions on our own.

Take the Brett Kavanaugh situation as a good example......democratic leaders are accused of sexual misdeads AFTER he is confirmed, and the narrative was overlooked, squashed or different because it fit a narrative. There was no equality, as Chuck Schumer and other democratic leaders were not holding press conferences to speak about the misdeads (Republicans weren't either).

I wish our two party system would change. And I wish that both extremes would get their head out of their rectums and try and be more moderate. But the "John Wayne" issue being brought up a half a century after it occurred is purely political and driven by a liberal narrative in our media. It doesn't mean his thoughts were right (they clearly were not).

This post was edited by BigDrewUGA 10 months ago

• BigDrewUGA said... (original post)

I'll take the bait.

While I do not agree with John's assessment of people or his attitude (it really is sad to see how blinded people were at the time), why must we always re-write history when at that time, the public sentiment was so much different than today?

I'm tired of this liberal agenda in which anything in history that could possibly be offensive changing that history.

But we allow congresswomen to be blatantly anti-Semitic or refuse to censor racists like Louis Farrakhan. But it is ok to censor and re-write history from over a half century ago.

Quite frankly, we shouldn’t be changing any history. We should learn from it, Wayne would be a good example how not to act/think. Let’s not act like he was the only one in that period as well. Some texts are again removing the holocaust as if it didn’t happen, the movie Pearl Harbor had a ‘Japanese’ version. We can learn from All of Our mistakes, everyone...

The opposite of what you think the extreme left would be.

Different people have different understandings of the terminology. There is generally the classical and modern views which unfortunately frequently get confused with each other. There are the individual view points that may also distort matters. Then there is the absolute proud ignorance that many enjoy displaying.

Extreme left has long passed the fork that leads into either fascism or communism....
    So that must mean that extreme right will be along the lines of anti-government and anarchism.

Are we on the same page?

• If you do not teach the present the past there is no future.
    That is there intension.
    Ask a "we stole the SW from Mexico". Who did the Spanish speaking people Mexicans take it from.
    Oh the Apaches. In fact there was a bounty paid by the long old Mexican goverment for Apache scalps.

• Keep this crap off our board please. It is suppose to be about football and sports

• diveindawg said... (original post)

Keep this crap off our board please. It is suppose to be about football and sports

I think you are on the wrong board. This board is for topics not related to sport and football....thus the term outside the hedges.

• BigDrewUGA said... (original post)

Spewing hate and being vilified for hate is definitely part of the political divide.

It is largely ignored/overlooked when a liberal says something poor, but let a conservative say anything remotely of consequence and there is a public lynching.

I am not a Trump guy...in fact, I dislike him very much. But the media narrative is largely against conservative values. In the case of John Wayne, pulling up an interview from the 1960s is a sign of that.

Farrakhan is supported by many Democratic members of Congress, and a former President. No condemning from them.

What do remove John Wayne's name from? The millions he donated to charity? The good he brought for decades prior to an article being re-hashed by someone with a blatant agenda?

Was his opinion right? Absolutely not. But you don't change history, especially while ignoring what happened at the time.

The Republican Party is largely against conservative values. But carry on...

About to have his name removed from a few things and deservedly so. Hateful people should be exposed as the cowards they are or in this case were.

But why post this on a UGA recruiting forum? Take this crap somewhere else

• Jbdawgs03 said... (original post)

But why post this on a UGA recruiting forum? Take this crap somewhere else

Because idiots are idiots no matter where they are.

• If social media always existed - there would be Nothing named for Nobody - with the current PC loonies running wild.

• Big O Dawg said... (original post)

If social media always existed - there would be Nothing named for Nobody - with the current PC loonies running wild.

Or just things named after people who aren't racist, committed crimes, etc.? Which isn't exactly horrible...

• Based on some PC warrior’s opinion?

John Wayne is my hero. I would probably be in your best interest to never meet me.

• Tos is Boring said... (original post)

John Wayne is my hero. I would probably be in your best interest to never meet me.

English? It*?

• Wow, huge John Wayne fan now