What defines an assault rifle

What defines an assault rifle

• from a modern sporting rifle? Someone please try to explain the difference to me!

• Discussion
  • A so called "assault" rifle looks scary to a lot of people. As far as functionality goes, there really is no difference from a modern sporting rifle. The ar-15 style rifle typically would have higher capacity magazines but then again, you can get high capacity in pistols and other sporting guns. You can get a 100 round drum clip for one of the most popular rifles in the US in the Ruger model 10-22. The arguments against "assault " rifles is purely nothing more than semantics in my opinion.

• Norcross Dawg1 said... (original post)

A so called "assault" rifle looks scary to a lot of people. As far as functionality goes, there really is no difference from a modern sporting rifle. The ar-15 style rifle typically would have higher capacity magazines but then again, you can get high capacity in pistols and other sporting guns. You can get a 100 round drum clip for one of the most popular rifles in the US in the Ruger model 10-22. The arguments against "assault " rifles is purely nothing more than semantics in my opinion.

Totally agree! A modern sporting rifle on an AR platform is not fully automatic and the trigger has to be pulled each time to fire a round. It doesn't have a selector where you can go fully automatic or fire a 3 round burst when firing. This is a politicial driven agenda. Most AR's look to the unknowing like the firearms used by the military, the AR that composes the modern sporting rifle is nothing like the military weapon.

This post was edited by poleman 6 months ago

• Agreed sir. It is all about the fear mongering gun grabber crew spreading misinformation and falsehoods that fit their agendas. Nothing more than that.

• Norcross Dawg1 said... Agreed sir. It is all about the fear mongering gun grabber crew spreading misinformation and falsehoods that fit their agendas. Nothing more than that.

Another issue also lies with the individuals choosing to use AR-15s for mass shootings, because I think they believe themselves it will be more effective

• poleman said... (original post)

from a modern sporting rifle? Someone please try to explain the difference to me!

Much more damage could be done with a high-capacity shotgun...…………….but it doesn't look as frightening, and wannabe warriors don't take pictures with them in their tactical gear.

• SavageDawgs89 said... (original post)

Norcross Dawg1 said... Agreed sir. It is all about the fear mongering gun ...

If that person wanted to kill a group of people...do you not think he would still find a way to do it?
    Can you honestly point to a time in history where there was not a crazy person trying to kill someone or a group of people?
    The fact is (but no one wants to say it or except it) you will never be able to stop it. It’s always going to happen. The only person responsible for your protection is yourself. It’s a hard pill to swallow but it’s truth.
    You can’t legislate morality. Only thing you accomplish then is turning innocent people into criminals.

This post was edited by _DC 5 months ago

• I wonder who the first person is going to be that argues that his firearm can’t assault someone becasue it’s not an official “assault weapon”?

The bigger question is what’s going to happen to all the anti “assault rifle” Elmer Fudd hunters when their deer guns start getting described as “long range sniper rifles” as they come for them next?

This post was edited by Raiderbeater1 5 months ago