Arrow6
  • 1st quarter - Run/Pass ratio

1st down 4/5; 2nd down 5/1; 3rd down 1/3

2nd quarter

1st down 7/7; 2nd down 3/5; 3rd down 0/4

3rd quarter

1st down 3/4; 2nd down 4/1; 3rd down 0/5

4th quarter+OT

1st down 7/8; 2nd down 5/7; 3rd down 0/7.

So total game on 1st down we called 21 run plays and 24 pass plays.

On 2nd down we called 17 run plays and 13 pass plays.

On 3rd down we called 1 run play and 19 pass plays.

(Note, I counted as pass plays the three sacks and the 1 scramble since the play call is what is important for seeing tendencies.)

• Discussion
  • So much for “run, run, pass” lol

• Should’ve run it more early. Not sure why folks watched today and concluded we ran ran and passed. 50 plus pass plays and all.

• Slideshow Bob said... (original post) So much for “run, run, pass” lol

Tendencies that really stand out on paper.

Our only run on third down occurred on the 2nd drive of the 1st quarter on a 3rd and 1. 19 consecutive 3rd down pass plays thereafter.

In the 1st and 3rd quarters, on 2nd down, we called 9 runs to 2 passes.

This post was edited by Yesssssir 3 months ago

• Yesssssir said... (original post) Our only run on third down occurred on the 2nd drive of the 1st quarter on a 3rd and 1. 19 consecutive 3rd down pass plays. In the 1st and 3rd qu...

Yea but what was our 3rd down efficiency?

• Slideshow Bob said... (original post) Yea but what was our 3rd down efficiency?

Do you think Coley called a good game other than the turnovers?

• Slideshow Bob said... (original post) Yea but what was our 3rd down efficiency?

Found it- 45% conversion rate on 3rd down, which if a season average would be top 25 nationally

• WSGD said... (original post) Do you think Coley called a good game other than the turnovers?

Not particularly, no

We had a lot of run-run-pass series, though.

9/18 for 107 yards, 0 tds, 1 int. 1 scramble for 9 yards by Fromm.

1 rush for 2 yards and first down by Swift.

• Yesssssir said... (original post) 9/18 for 107 yards, 0 tds, 1 int. 1 scramble for 9 yards by Fromm.1 rush for 2 yards and first down by Swift.

Wait, 11/20? That’s like top 5 nationally if averaged across the season. WGAS about balance lol

• DocSkraynj said... (original post) We had a lot of run-run-pass series, though.

Not really. We passed the ball 50 plus times on 94 plays.

• Coley did a bad job of staying ahead of the chains and I think that’s why fans are upset. I don’t know if he has the plays in his playbook to balance that part of the game

• Dawgswagger said... (original post) Coley did a bad job of staying ahead of the chains and I think that’s why fans are upset. I don’t know if he has the plays in his playbook to b...

Wtf does this mean lol

• Slideshow Bob said... (original post) Wait, 11/20? That’s like top 5 nationally if averaged across the season. WGAS about balance lol

It’s tendencies.

When the other team knows you’re passing or knows you’re running, it makes the defensive coordinator’s job easier.

Point is our offense is pretty predictable.

Early on (likely our first two scripted drives), we had good balance and unpredictability.

Later on in the game, it was quite obvious what we were trying to do each down. Different personnel totally gave away if it’s pass or run too.

• Yesssssir said... (original post) It’s tendencies. When the other team knows you’re passing or knows you’re running, it makes the defensive coordinator’s job easier. Point is our ...

Everyone throws on third down dude

• beckwb said... (original post) Not really. We passed the ball 50 plus times on 94 plays.

Looks we did the run-run-pass thing on a series on 7 of 14 possessions.

I'd be interested to see the number of times we went run, runs pass on a 1st, 2nd, 3rd down sequence. Seemed like a lot to me, but I could be wrong.
  • DocSkraynj said... (original post) Looks we did the run-run-pass thing on a series on 7 of 14 possessions.

So we did it on half of possessions and less than half of all 3 play series. We are built to run the ball first...so do it all be it with some creativity. The lack of said creativity is why we are missing Chaney and don’t know it

• beckwb said... (original post) So we did it on half of possessions and less than half of all 3 play series. We are built to run the ball first...so do it all be it with some creat...

This is true. Chaney is wayyyyyyyy better in the run game than Coley.

• DocSkraynj said... (original post) This is true. Chaney is wayyyyyyyy better in the run game than Coley.

Yep and we’d be a serious contender with him and this roster this year

• Thing that bothered me was our we played our usual type of game initially, but then was suddenly forcing the ball downfield after 3rd possession when they were giving us easier yards underneath. Our O performed much the same way it did against LSU last year. For whatever reason, we suddenly got impatient and then could never seem to find a rythm again. Like a switch was just turned off.

This post was edited by mangymutt 3 months ago

• Appreciate the tracking. The tendices are a problem no doubt. Maybe this is the wake up call we needed?

I honestly dont think our WR's are so bad that they can't get open on some of these third downs. It's the route tree in some of these cases.

• mccuga1 said... (original post) Appreciate the tracking. The tendices are a problem no doubt. Maybe this is the wake up call we needed?I honestly dont think our WR's are so b...

We don’t run any rub routes against man defense. Have absolutely no clue why we don’t.

This post was edited by Yesssssir 3 months ago

• Yesssssir said... (original post) We don’t run any rub routes against man defense. Have absolutely no clue why we don’t.

Florida - LSU is a great example of simple stuff to get guys open in space fairly easy.
  • mccuga1 said... (original post) Florida - LSU is a great example of simple stuff to get guys open in space fairly easy.

It’s not rocket science.