2021 recruiting

2021 recruiting

• “For a lot of these kids, they dont really know that and if they did they often dont really care.”

You may want to be careful about lecturing others regarding what these kids know and what they care about.

It’s likely a recipe for embarrassing yourself.

• People have lots of reasons for doing what they do. It's ridiculous to try to rationalize it, especially for a 17 year kid that no one around knows at all. Just people injecting their own bias into something they know nothing about.

• The B10 has historically had some of the larger fan attendance numbers. The A10 not so much.

But with COVID that’s all out the window.

Also, with COVID, maybe players are taking other things into account.

• SirIllini said... (original post)“For a lot of these kids, they dont really know that and if they did they often dont really care.”You may want to be careful about lecturing other...

Perhaps you put far more importance on this message board than I do, but I dont really get embarrassed by being wrong on here. If you do, I guess that's your problem.

You think kids on the national stage (ie not home grown illini fans) know much about illinois basketball history? Like I said, I love the illini, but the average person doesnt know much about them in other parts of the country. I've lived in 5 states, I've not come into contact with anyone who is impressed with the illini history. To them we're just another solid big ten team. Keep in mind I said MOST kids not ALL kids. It's called generalizing.

And this entire thread is people projecting what they believe other people think.

This post was edited by quadcitiesillini 4 months ago

• quadcitiesillini said... (original post)I dont really get embarrassed by being wrong on here.

That’s obvious.

• You do? Yiiiiikes

Now I just feel bad for you

This post was edited by quadcitiesillini 4 months ago

• Noreastr said... (original post)It was if you don't ignore the "to these kids" part.

So when someone says "once every 10 years" you read that as just the last 10 years, lol.

• quadcitiesillini said... (original post)My point wasnt justifying SLU at all. I was countering the argument that a) they arent any good and b) they only have a good team every 10 ...

Your argument would've been much more reasonable if you said "in the last 10 years" instead of "once every 10 years.

• wesalex said... (original post)So when someone says "once every 10 years" you read that as just the last 10 years, lol.

I think his point was correct and rather obvious. 2021 recruits don't know or care much about what happened in the 80s or even the early 2000s.

The last 10 years is going to be pretty accurate for these kids.

• Noreastr said... (original post)I think his point was correct and rather obvious. 2021 recruits don't know or care much about what happened in the 80s or even the early 2000s.The ...

Correct. I'm not sure why that's so difficult. To MOST of these kids, success during their lifetime is all that really matters. It's amazing that is a hotly contested issue apparently.
  • The dispute is over Big Ten or are you serious SLU.

• quadcitiesillini said... (original post)Correct. I'm not sure why that's so difficult. To MOST of these kids, success during their lifetime is all that really matters. I...

Yeah, when you say college basketball success, SLU and the A-10 just come right to mind, don't they?????

This post was edited by wesalex 4 months ago

• wesalex said... (original post)Yeah, when you say college basketball success, SLU and the A-10 just come right to mind, don't they?????

Just screams final 4, right?
  • IlliniBuckskin said... (original post)Just screams final 4, right?

To be fair some guys like to get a jump on spring break.
  • We have never had much luck recruiting St. Louis metro. Then again neither has Mizzou.

The top St. Louis metro players have gone out of state

Chris Carrawell - Duke

Jahidi White - Georgetown

Laphons Ellis - Notre Dame

Larry Hughes - went St. Louis due to his little brother being sick. One and done.

Ryan Robertson - Kansas

Darius Miles - NBA

David Lee - Florida

Jayson Tatum Duke

Bradley Beal FL

Steve Stepanovich - Mizzou

• wesalex said... (original post)Yeah, when you say college basketball success, SLU and the A-10 just come right to mind, don't they?????

When was that the argument? Now you're just moving the goalposts. Up until this year, and even then it wasnt until ayo AND kofi decided to return, the final four didnt come to mind for illinois either for over 14 years. They weren't even on the radar.

I get it. You think illinois has clout because of our history. I agree, as a lifelong fan. Kids 17 and under who havent been fans their whole lives? Sorry, no. Theres a couple dozen programs that are more on their radar in terms of success. That's just the downside to being down for over a decade and why tournament success is so important to optics.

The point was never that SLU is as good of a program. Or the A10 is as good of a conference. Simply that deriding SLU for not being ranked except once every decade, IN THE MIND OF A 17 YEAR OLD KID, isnt much different than illinois who hasnt finished ranked in 14 years (ie their entire life).
  • quadcitiesillini said... (original post)When was that the argument? Now you're just moving the goalposts. Up until this year, and even then it wasnt until ayo AND kofi decide...

Yeah except Illinois finished No. 21 last season, literally the most recent season and we're top 10 now, so what's more up front in kids minds than now? If you want to be a big fish in a little pond, SLU is your place.

• wesalex said... (original post)Yeah except Illinois finished No. 21 last season, literally the most recent season and we're top 10 now, so what's more up front in kids minds than ...

Sure last year was a pleasant surprise. But it really wasnt until towards the end if the year we caught on, and had little to no hype going I to the season, so that's all pretty recent. SLU was also pretty good last year, so for a kid in that area its probably similar buzz. That's why it's a damn shame we didnt have a tournament and will be devastating if we dont play this year. We need momentum to get the foot in the door of the 16 and 17 year old kids.
  • quadcitiesillini said... (original post)Sure last year was a pleasant surprise. But it really wasnt until towards the end if the year we caught on, and had little to no hype going ...

BTW I'm hearing good things about Nesbitt to Illinois. You can play in the Big Leagues or in AAA, your choice, lol.

This post was edited by wesalex 4 months ago

• Noreastr said... (original post)I think his point was correct and rather obvious. 2021 recruits don't know or care much about what happened in the 80s or even the early 2000s...

or even the last 5 years

• wesalex said... (original post)BTW I'm hearing good things about Nesbitt to Illinois. You can play in the Big Leagues or in AAA, your choice, lol.

I am "hearing" that as well ;-)

• Always liked him better than Jones anyway lol

This post was edited by audi1234 4 months ago

• audi1234 said... (original post)Always liked him better than Jones anyway lol

I thought Nesbitt was the highest rated and our most coveted small forward recruit over Jones.
  • Illini1956 said... (original post)I thought Nesbitt was the highest rated and our most coveted small forward recruit over Jones.

I think Jones is actually higher now but whatever. None of them were like top 35 recruits so it's a crapshoot who turns out better. I haven't watched any of them play, I'm just joking around because I was all excited about Jones before.

• audi1234 said... (original post)I think Jones is actually higher now but whatever. None of them were like top 35 recruits so it's a crapshoot who turns out better. I haven&#x...

Yeah I was high on Jones as well, but would be very happy with Nesbitt. If we land him it should help with the St. Louis recruiting.