1980 Illini vs OSU

1980 Illini vs OSU

• Does anyone know where to find film or at least highlights of the 1980 OSU -illini football game?

• Discussion
  • Hark, I just found it on Youtube. What fun to watch David Wilson to Mike Martin and Benson And Boeke in passing OSU silly. I sure miss the offense where 3rd and 20 is highly makeable rather than one where offsides on first down sets up a punting situation

• namberw said... (original post)Hark, I just found it on Youtube. What fun to watch David Wilson to Mike Martin and Benson And Boeke in passing OSU silly. I sure miss the offense w...

Yes, that was when Illini HC used the TEs, WR's and RBs lots in sophisticated passing game and QB's and backups completed passes at very high levels.

How they they did that without running first is beyond me Ollie. Oh, and OL were average at best other than Juriga.

Back then, BT coaches feared Mike Whites Passing Illini.

• Thanks Nit. Great game. Close but no cigar. Mike Martin one of my alltime favorite Illini.

• illtex said... (original post)Yes, that was when Illini HC used the TEs, WR's and RBs lots in sophisticated passing game and QB's and backups completed passes at very hi...

Whites running game consisted of draw plays and flair passes, neither of which would work without a very sophifistagated passing game. I think Thomas Rooks got most of his yards from the draw play.

• namberw said... (original post)Whites running game consisted of draw plays and flair passes, neither of which would work without a very sophifistagated passing game. I think Thoma...

Good poiints.

Illini running game was effective with Beverly and then Rooks, but it was definitely set up by their passing success against almost everybody. Loaded Pitt kept them in check when they had Marino and Hugh Green iirc.

• illtex said... (original post)Yes, that was when Illini HC used the TEs, WR's and RBs lots in sophisticated passing game and QB's and backups completed passes at very hi...

He was from the John Ralston coaching tree. His philosophy was to stretch the filed vertically and horizontally in order to create. That allowed for gaps in the defense that he tried to exploit. Always required an accurate quarterback as a lot of the routes were throwing to an area/gap that the receivers would working toward. The reason that draw plays worked well in that it slowed the pass rush and if the back could break the line of scrimmage that was a lot of open space and defenders were spread across the field. He always would draw up his feature play of the week on his TV show.

Good offense in all sports is about creating mis-matches and taking advantage of them.

Mike White always had a stable of good assistants that could coach.

There was a reason that why those Stanford teams of the early 70's won the Rose Bowl. They had assistants like, Bill Walsh, Dick Vermeil, Mike White. Bo and Woody had assistants that just knew how to beat the crap out of people.

This post was edited by orangez80 8 months ago

• orangez80 said... (original post)He was from the John Ralston coaching tree. His philosophy was to stretch the filed vertically and horizontally in order to create. That allowed f...

Good points.

Effective passers and quality coaching have always been the great equalizer when playing superior opponents. Not as much talent needed. Tom Brady

This post was edited by illtex 8 months ago

• It seems like White's receivers were notorious at using the Field Judge as a pick much to the dismay of opposing coaches.

• namberw said... (original post)It seems like White's receivers were notorious at using the Field Judge as a pick much to the dismay of opposing coaches.

Notorious, for doing something everyone else does, except better? You see it all the time, and RBs cutting back behind the Refs.

Mike White never practiced the pick, he just reminded his players the Refs were part of the field of play.

This post was edited by DasIllini 8 months ago

• namberw said... (original post)Whites running game consisted of draw plays and flair passes, neither of which would work without a very sophifistagated passing game. I think Thoma...

Seriously did you watch any games under Mike White? Illini used pass action, but they also used play action. Rooks was a Big 10 rusher period.

Illini had respectable run game in 1982 even though neither Beverly nor Rooks were primary, and Match Stick Joe Curtis getting too many carries for my liking. The 1982 Michigan game was one the best rushing performance that year, and certainly didn't come from the "draw"

• orangez80 said... (original post)Mike White always had a stable of good assistants that could coach.

That's not the quite the story. You don't need to look no further then, when Bill Walsh was asked about Mike White play calling in 1983 Illini-Ohio St game: Walsh said "I could have called 75% of those plays" Both shared the same view, the pass plays were designed to replace the down and distance rush plays rather than set up the running game. However in Whites last years he wanted to move to more physical rush game.

Correction on Mike White had good coaches, he had good coaches and recruiters.

• OrangeBuffalo said... (original post)We made OSU look like...

1983 Illini-Ohio St game one of the best hard fought and game winning drive as any, but for me the 2007 Illini was the team that made Bucks look soft.

• DasIllini said... (original post)Seriously did you watch any games under Mike White? Illini used pass action, but they also used play action. Rooks was a Big 10 rusher period. Ill...

Mike White and Illini Nation wishes he had thrown play action pass on the final play of the game 1982 Michigan game at Illinois.

• thestilt said... (original post)Mike White and Illini Nation wishes he had thrown play action pass on the final play of the game 1982 Michigan game at Illinois.

Yes, I remember that 4th and goal rush. Illini very rushed well that game but never tested against Michigan's goal line defense until that play.

• The 1982 Liberty Bowl game remains (in my mind) the hardest hitting Illini game I've ever attended. Illinois was playing their first bowl game since 1963 and didn't intend to lose. Alabama was playing in Bear's (total ahole) last game motivating them to the extreme. It was an absolute slugfest. The Illinois fans clearly outcheared the Alabama fans before and during the game. An indian brave appeared on the Illinois sidelines for the first time to lead cheers. I know it's not PC but it was great.

• TrueOrangeAndBlue said... (original post)The 1982 Liberty Bowl game remains (in my mind) the hardest hitting Illini game I've ever attended. Illinois was playing their first ...

After Bear Bryant passing I had more than a few supposed Illini fan co-workers say they were glad he got a win in his last game. I told them, you guys are Fn nuts. There would have been nothing better than Illini hand Bryant's Bama a loss in final game.

• DasIllini said... (original post)After Bear Bryant passing I had more than a few supposed Illini fan co-workers say they were glad he got a win in his last game. I told them, you ...

100% agree. That's like the occasional poster on here who says the B1G is a better place when Ohio State and Michigan are great teams. F that! I hope they both go 0-12 every Fn year.

• thestilt said... (original post)100% agree. That's like the occasional poster on here who says the B1G is a better place when Ohio State and Michigan are great teams. F that! ...

I hear the national talking heads say this type of thing all the time. "College football is better when USC, Notre Dame et al are strong. It may be better for them as they have fewer teams to track. IMO, college football would be better if there was a process to evenly distribute talent (like the NFL).

• thestilt said... (original post)100% agree. That's like the occasional poster on here who says the B1G is a better place when Ohio State and Michigan are great teams. F that! ...

Michigan hasn't been "great" in years. At least not consistently so. The past 4-5 seasons, they've been very clearly #4 in the Big Ten behind Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin, and yet the conference has been as strong as it's ever been.

So yeah, this notion that those two programs need to be "great" for the conference to be "great" is nonsense. The Big Ten has plenty of depth, and if a program like Michigan is stuck in their 9-3 rut, then it probably means somebody else is winning 10+ games.

The Big Ten has had SIX schools finish in the CFP's top 6: Ohio State (every year but 2015), Michigan State (2015), Iowa (2015), Penn State (2016), Michigan (2016), and Wisconsin (2017). Even without Ohio State and Michigan, that's four schools that competed for the CFP until the very end.

This post was edited by NittanyIllinois 8 months ago

• I didn't attend the 1982 Ohio St game, and the following came from my bother-in-law that did. The accuracy of my memory may be off, and if anyone has better details please jump in.

Bucks were set-up for a great 1982 season. Their toughest opponents at home, and schedule of only 4 road games: Illini toughest one. But Ohio St took it on the chin with three straight home losses, and coming into Champaign . Scored was tied 21-21 in 4th quarter, and Tony Eason completed a big pass into the red zone, except Mike Martin (?) was called for a phantom pass inference. Normally cool on the sideline Mike White got in the refs face and didn't back off, and was hit with a technical. Illini were unable to make-up the yards. Even some Buck fans near my in-law knew it was a bad call, but said "He (Mike White) should have left it alone"

The rest you know, Bucks drove for game winning FG. Illini last chance came when the KR mistakenly took a knee on the 2 yard line thinking he was in the EZ, and Eason was sacked for a Safety.

• TrueOrangeAndBlue said... (original post)Thanks Nit. Great game. Close but no cigar. Mike Martin one of my alltime favorite Illini.

Can’t win with 3 INT’s and 2 fumbles. We lost that game in the 1st qtr.

Oh, and Schlichter? The real deal. His touch was superb.

This post was edited by Beaker42 7 months ago

• TrueOrangeAndBlue said... (original post)I hear the national talking heads say this type of thing all the time. "College football is better when USC, Notre Dame et al are str...

Same deal in spades in college hoops. It's a lot easier to build perenniel dynasties with the cheating, ESPN, rosters of only 8 or 9 playing and Dickie V and the Duke parade leading the cheers.