2020 College Coaching Changes

2020 College Coaching Changes

• Miss St let go their HC after only 2 years. How is that even possible?

• Discussion
  • SEC West... 3-5. overall 6-7. The fans say they deserve better. Go figure...

• illtex said... (original post) Miss St let go their HC after only 2 years. How is that even possible?

Moorhead is the third Power Five conference coach to be fired since November after only two seasons in the job, joining Florida State's Willie Taggart and Arkansas' Chad Morris. He was fired despite being just the second Mississippi State coach ever to reach bowl games in each of his first two seasons, matching a feat that Jackie Sherrill accomplished in 1991-92.

Keenum said the school is looking for a coach who will ''demonstrably reflect our shared expectations for a consistently competitive football team that displays discipline, pride, and preparation in all facets of the program.''

https://www.bing.com/search?q=mississippi+state+football+coach&form=EDGEAR&qs=PF&cvid=0f0caff3fdec4284aad9af0d3117b3a2&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdni4MJzR6Vo725L%21oxSwO9rchx9EYjIETRr93AFrcEesIwJctaXCmYL1rf2D%21LaCObzqhInsjB7RBKVsSPxDmXBk&plvar=0

• illtex said... (original post) Miss St let go their HC after only 2 years. How is that even possible?

Because Miss State fans are delusional about their stature as a program in that loaded SEC West. But, like other football-crazed SEC schools, they'll do anything to win. Fire a dude after 2 years? No problem.

Granted, Moorhead was not a good fit there. At all. And his comments about "you'll have to drag my yankee @$ out of here" don't sit well with a demographic that legitimately views the word "yankee" as derogatory. He's a northeastern guy, and was never fully embraced there to begin with.

Even despite all the Dan Mullen hype, he only won 10 games ONCE in nine years there. He averaged 7.5 wins per season there, and he's treated like a Starkville Bear Bryant. Moorhead averaged 7 wins per season in his two years, and they run him off with pitchforks.

If you want to find delusional football fans, the SEC has no shortage of them.

This post was edited by NittanyIllinois 10 months ago

• Dont know the entire situation in Starkville, but smart AD's, boosters realize it doesnt take years to figure your employee cant produce at the level that management seeks.

Even in most powerful conference in the country, msu AD realizes that 6 wins and mediocre bowl arent good enough. SEC fans are passionate, not delusional, about football.

This post was edited by illtex 10 months ago

• illtex said... (original post) Dont know the entire situation in Starkville, but smart AD's, boosters realize it doesnt take years to figure your employee cant produce at the ...

Just wait to see who they hire and how it goes.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post) Because Miss State fans are delusional about their stature as a program in that loaded SEC West. But, like other football-crazed SEC school...

I just don’t understand this ... you say the fans are delusIona and they think they are better than they are. Question ... do the fans hire and fire coaches?

Now, if you said the AD or the board of regents or the university admin are delusional, then your argument might hold some water.

This post was edited by EddiesSweetJ 10 months ago

• Slowmoillini said... (original post) Just wait to see who they hire and how it goes.

6 wins is not that bad considering they play in toughest division.

Fact that ad, boosters werent satisfied given fact that they play 4 nc games. Expectations for football success is so much higher down South. If it doesnt work out, however, they wont wait 6 years.

• He did not resonate with the alums - my father in law went to MSU and grew up in Columbus MS and he along with many of his friends who went to MSU were less than excited about him - also they were expecting to go at least 7-5 regular season. They also got outcoached in the 2nd half of their bowl game vs Louisville. They have money to spend and so best to cut the cord now instead of enduring another year. That guy will land on his feet in the near future. I think he's more suited to beng a coach at a BC-Temple-UConn type school.

• I don't believe firing had anything to do with being a "Yankee" or not winning SEC West. Recruiting was good enough, but Moorehead's teams just weren't competing well enough. I mean any good AD would look at win-losses/scores/stats and say, is that all you got of a good roster?

• Wonder if AD owes Moorehead $10-$15M after only 2 years? I doubt it very seriously.

• EddiesSweetJ said... (original post) I just don’t understand this ... younsaynthenfans are delusIona and they think they are better than they are. Question ... do the fans hire an...

It's a different environment entirely in SEC land than up here, and the fan intensity is such that ADs are pretty responsive to the overall sentiment.

Remember the uproar when Tennessee was about to hire Schiano? That fan uproar was the impetus for the UT administration to reverse course.

Moorhead wasn't very far from needing a private security detail to accompany him anywhere he went. I say that partly tongue-in-cheek, but his "yankee" comments in particular were the last straw. The MSU administration, from what I can tell, really liked Moorhead and admired what he was doing. And that turned dramatically in just a few months. The fans see what Mullen is doing at Florida, they have a disappointing 6-6 year, and it becomes a firing squad down there.

• Topiary said... (original post) He did not resonate with the alums - my father in law went to MSU and grew up in Columbus MS and he along with many of his friends who went to MSU ...

Agreed. I don't think he was ever really loved by the fans down there.......there was definitely a sense when he was hired that it was an underwhelming option.

Not saying he coached up to his potential, either. He's not blameless in this. But they have expectations that aren't terribly realistic given the division they play in. Right off the bat, you can probably spot yourself 3 losses -- Alabama, Auburn, and LSU. Then, there's Texas A&M. And if you're unlucky enough to get Florida or Georgia as a crossover opponent, those are virtually guaranteed losses. So perhaps when the stars all align, they can win 9 games. But otherwise, a "good" year for a program like that is probably 7-5. Moorhead went 8-5 last year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him become the BC OC, or something like that.

• illtex said... (original post) Dont know the entire situation in Starkville, but smart AD's, boosters realize it doesnt take years to figure your employee cant produce at the ...

Tex, you started this thread about head coaching changes that have happened already after this now past season. Don't turn this into a Fire Lovie thread.

• Also coaching related......Kiffin adds DJ Durkin to his staff at Ole Miss. A perfect fit in SEC country.

• illtex said... (original post) Wonder if AD owes Moorehead $10-$15M after only 2 years? I doubt it very seriously.

Not that much. Moorehead's buyout was 7mil with offset language that can bring it down to 4mil. Looks like Mississippi State wasn't going to get carried away with someone in the big time only couple years, regardless the success he had at Penn St

• Who does Baylor hire at this point? Now they are within 4 weeks of the 2nd signing day and they could potentially be letting commits out of their LOI from the 1st signing day. Depending on who Baylor hires, this could be a mess for them after the Rhule departure.

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)Who does Baylor hire at this point? Now they are within 4 weeks of the 2nd signing day and they could potentially be letting commits out of t...

Pretty sure it won't be Hugh Freeze, or Defense coach, but like you said it could become a mess. Baylor must hurry

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)Who does Baylor hire at this point? Now they are within 4 weeks of the 2nd signing day and they could potentially be letting commits out of t...

Quite the turnaround artist 44 yr old Rhule is.

In his first HC gig at at Temple, he goes 2-10 in yr 1, 7-6, then 10-4 and school won conference for first time since 1967. He went 10-3 in yr 4 before leaving for Baylor.

After 1-11 in yr at Baylor, he goes 11-3 in yr 3, 7-1 in conference games., before losing to GA in Sugar Bowl.

Now he is off to NFL. Wherever he has been in college, great job by him, his staff and players. Say what you want, but there are lots of young football coaches that can turn around bad programs in a very, very short time.

• News feed reports Austin Clark hired by Dolphins as OLB coach.

• DasIllini said... (original post)News feed reports Austin Clark hired by Dolphins as OLB coach.

I hate to lose this guy. By all accounts, he's a rising star in the coaching ranks. He was the lead recruiter on five of our 12 recent signees. I hope we can get a great replacement.

• thestilt said... (original post)I hate to lose this guy. By all accounts, he's a rising star in the coaching ranks. He was the lead recruiter on five of our 12 recent signees...

Clancy Pendergast had the say in defensive hires (or so it was thought) and was intending to hire Clark for DLC, but SC fans were in uproar about the pick because of Illini rush defense. Appears Helton wanted fans love and nixed the hire.

Heck I lost count of coaches SC has fired, but everyone knows the problem is Helton: But right now, he's the best SC can do.

This post was edited by DasIllini 10 months ago

• Mississippi State hires Mike Leach away from WSU. Incredible hire for them. Not sad to see Leach out of the PAC...but will miss his pressers.

This post was edited by Wanne 10 months ago

• I don't believe Mike Leach biggest fans found anything entertaining about his rant after Wazzu's 7th consecutive Apple Cup loss.

This post was edited by DasIllini 10 months ago

• Wanne said... (original post)Mississippi State hires Mike Leach away from WSU. Incredible hire for them. Not sad to see Leach out of the PAC...but will miss his pressers.

From 2015-19, Leach produced 45 wins, most in school history during 5 yr span.

B4 Leach, WSU hadnt been to bowl in 8 years, and prior coach won 9 games in 4 years.

Some really good coaches can take mediocre programs to higher levels while others maintain mediocrity or get worse.

The Pirate is heck of a coach and flat out winner. In his 18 years as HC, his teams went to 16 bowl games.

• Weren't people on this thread critical of Coach Clark. Does this mean Lovie identified an up and coming coach? I agree their is room for improvement but this guy was panned when hired. Any mea culpas out here?