2020/2021 Recruiting Thread

2020/2021 Recruiting Thread

• Cards: Are you perhaps not following Cumby very closely? In 2018, Cumby was 5'8" 165 Zttps://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/kyron-cumby-193603. (247 listed him at 5'7") Illinois listed him in the fall at 180 lbs. In February 2020, the staff verifiable measured Cumby at 5'8" 185 lbs.

OSU listed Mookie at 5' 8" 193 lbs at the time of his reporting in January. https://247sports.com/player/mookie-cooper-46039953/ I have seen both in person. To me, they are similar built kids. Mookie a bit more stocky and a bit more elusive. Cumby a bit faster in pads. In my opinion, they are very similar small, shifty slot back/receivers with enough power to break a tackle.

Mookie was a big fish in a relatively small pond. He stood out and everyone wanted him. Cumby was playing in a large pond, Texas. He ran some blazing track times. Suddently Texas Tech offered and his recruiting started to blow up right before his pledge to U of I.

Cooper and Cumby might be interchangeable in a strong program such as OSU. I would opine that the average fan would not be able to tell them apart on the field in pads. Both Cooper and Cumby have the potential to have nice careers if they continues to gain strength and stay healthy. Cooper may be just slightly ahead in the maturation process.

• True Orange: My favorite story about Kankakee was how they were offered a state mental institution or U of i and they chose the mental institution.

As for recruiting, Jimmy Smith from that area went to Purdue. He always seemed so much older than 19 when he showed up at PU. Evaluated Ira's son, Dustin Jefferson, in about 2005. He had potential I think he played at Illinois from 2008-2010 and had 20 or less career tackles.

But I can't say I ate any where in KKK other than some restaurant I think on RR 17 or thereabouts.

• Just saw where Johnny Newton blew away all the other Frosh lineman in racing to the top of memorial Stadium. Wasn't even close.

• KofiTime said... (original post)Just saw where Johnny Newton blew away all the other Frosh lineman in racing to the top of memorial Stadium. Wasn't even close.

Not even sure how to feel
  • Played some RB in high school, so to me that says he's a heck of an athlete for one and probably has much quicker feet. I'd chalk it up to him having some really unique skills and experience playing RB vs judging the other linemen off that one athletic achievement of running up a bunch of bleacher rows.

edit: I view this video like the classic jumping out of the swimming pool video from Jarron Gilbert (former Bears draft pick). Nice show of power, speed, athleticism... but show me what you have on the playing field and how that translates to the gridiron.

This post was edited by PaytonHighstep 4 months ago

• I was convinced Gilbert was gonna be awesome just because of that video

• thedawson123 said... (original post)Not even sure how to feel

I'm sure you can put a negative spin on it, though. I found it impressive and look forward to seeing him progress and having an impact on the program in the near future.

• thedawson123 said... (original post)I was convinced Gilbert was gonna be awesome just because of that video

user generated

• KofiTime said... (original post)I'm sure you can put a negative spin on it, though. I found it impressive and look forward to seeing him progress and having an impact on the progr...

I'm sure I could put a positive spin on it, too

It's like when your offense or defense does well in the spring game.
  • Recruit to publicly verbal within 48 hours

• Sounds like 2

• mabprudence said... (original post)One last quick post. The Dallas quarterback is another fantastic athlete. You simply don't get 6'2" 210 lb juniors (stats last ye...

Hope ur right about Cumby, Mab. It's just with al the injuries we had a WR last year. I have a hard time buying that if the kid had the goods and only needed playing time and coaching to perform well and break big plays to complement BheBhe at flanker he wouldn't have been a key part of the passing game after Smalling and Sidney went down....

• I see that DB Joseph Thomson from Phillips HS, Bellamy's alma mater IIRC, is transferring out. Given his injuries in HS, you could see this coming a mile away. I wish the guy well.

Anyone know if he ever fully recovered from his HS injuries? It also seems our transfers out aren't getting much interest. Any chance that any will return? From what I've heard, Oladipo and Myers didn't have a choice. What about Stampley and the others who've contributed in the past?

• Remember Carmoni Green? I think he went to Lamar and was one of their least productive WR.

This is where having a strong support system comes in. Instead he likely thought he was being underutilized, so he transferred and then found that nobody was interested (prob thought teams from hs were still interested). Some of these guys need people to tell them the hard truth... you got a scholarship to a good school, you aren't an NFL prospect, so stay in school and change your life forever.

So many of them go right back to a "it's my only way out" mentality. Heartbreaking.

Stampley seems to be another one like that. I've seen him retweet an offer or two from a small school, but it doesn't seem like he's going to wind up in a better situation.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Cards: Are you perhaps not following Cumby very closely? In 2018, Cumby was 5'8" 165 Zttps://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/kyron...

I stood next to both. Cumby might be 5'5" and Mookie is 5'9"

• Yea no way is 5-8 a correct height for Cumby

• cardsman8 said... (original post)I stood next to both. Cumby might be 5'5" and Mookie is 5'9"

Tarik Cohen is listed at 5' 7" and will be entering his 3rd season with the Bears.

• KofiTime said... (original post)Tarik Cohen is listed at 5' 7" and will be entering his 3rd season with the Bears.

Mrs Lippy's car... is green
  • mabprudence said... (original post)Recruit to publicly verbal within 48 hours

Bad intel?
  • Someone please tell Dr. Zimmerman he does not know how to use a tape measure. Cumby is NOT 5'5"

• Maybe 5'6

Maybe 5'6.5

• Wide receiver from Missou tranfer coming soon? Makes sense given Smalling likely not returning... Coach Stoker lead recruiter.

Has 6'4" High school wide receiver from Missouri been able to get his public announcement scheduled yet? Cory Patterson sends a wink.

Another Florida 4.4 db speedster being pushed hard for commitment by PU and U of I. Rivals has crystal ball for U of I. Gonzales on the recruitment.

Smalling and Cerny look like they may not be returning to U of I.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Wide receiver from Missou tranfer coming soon? Makes sense given Smalling likely not returning... Coach Stoker lead recruiter.Has 6'4" High scho...

What's the reasoning for smalling not returning? Cant find anything online.
  • Snap: Thank you K.T. Now be great for the Illini.

• K. T. will likely not be elgible in 2020. Most of the Illini’s speed options are small, including 5-foot-7 184 lb redshirt freshman Kyron Cumby (see arguments above) and 5-foot-10 true freshman James Frenchie. Josh Imatorbhebhe, Trevon Sidney and Ricky Smalling (if for some reason he decides to return) all graduate after the 2020 season.

K.T. sat out in 2019 with a torn meniscus. He did; however, run track. K.T. has a personal best 40 a tick under 4.4 and consistently runs under 4.5. He and Miami transfer Brian Hightower (a former four-star talent) along with New Mexico State transfer Desmond Dan will provide a little size for 2021. So would a certain receiver/tight end from Missouri high school. Someone get him a watch...