5 Phase Plan Leaves FB in doubt for 2020?

5 Phase Plan Leaves FB in doubt for 2020?

• Just read the plan. Without a vaccine, highly effective treatment or zero cases for an extended period of time, gatherings of more than 50 people will be prohibited.

This looks to put the 2020 FB season in doubt at all levels, pee wee to NFL.

Any other views?

• Discussion
  • I think by the end of this month, they will change their tune and realize the worst is over. My county hasn't had any new reported cases in 2 weeks (Coles) and all restaurants re-opened last Friday, according to a well-connected source I know. I think we'll see sports this season. Maybe not the little kid's, but HS on up.

• KofiTime said... (original post)I think by the end of this month, they will change their tune and realize the worst is over. My county hasn't had any new reported cases in 2 ...

If only the rest of the country were like Coles county, this might be true.

Living in a major metro area, our cases are actually increasing. Pennsylvania had nearly 400 new deaths yesterday alone. And cases/deaths are starting to increase in a variety of new areas even while they're slowing in places like NYC.

It's really hard to say. When this all started, I thought we'd be back to normal by early June. Pretty sure that won't be the case.

There's just so many unknowns with this virus, and there's so much that's unknown about the immunities we build once infected the first time around.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see CFB kicking off on time this year -- if at all.

• Our resident expert epidemiologist has spoken.

Cancel your plans and be afraid. Be very afraid.

• SirIllini said... (original post)Our resident expert epidemiologist has spoken. Cancel your plans and be afraid. Be very afraid.

I'm certainly no epidemiologist. I do, however, respect data and well reasoned analysis. And I do acknowledge the limits of that data and recognize that we collectively still don't really have a handle on how this virus works.

I would suggest that you also come to grips to data, but that's your choice. I've seen your predictions on this matter from day 1, and, well....... :)

It doesn't take virological expertise to reasonably project how certain institutions are going to respond. And if you think things are going to be back to normal by the end of this month, you're not paying attention.

This post was edited by NittanyIllinois 6 months ago

• You haven’t seen my predictions because I’ve never made any. Stop lying.

You are a repeater. You don’t know anything. You simply repeat other sources without any kind of independent analysis whatsoever, and what you choose to repeat is biased.

This post was edited by SirIllini 6 months ago

• SirIllini said... (original post)You haven’t seen my predictions because I’ve never made any. Stop lying.You are a repeater. You don’t know anything. You simply repeat other sourc...

LOL.

Darn those people who reference data and analysis from established, credible sources!!! ARRGGG!!!

Edit: I'd be happy to make an honest wager on whether this virus delays the resumption of football. I mean, you'd have nothing to worry about -- I'm just repeating biased information, and know nothing. So perhaps an over/under on the date of resumed full-scale activity in which the loser of the bet donates $50 to the charity of the winner's choosing? With the caveat that it's a charity that benefits COVID victims of some sort (either business owners, infected patients, charities helping victims, etc.)

You in?

Seems like easy money seeing as though I'm just repeating bad info :)

• SirIllini said... (original post)You haven’t seen my predictions because I’ve never made any. Stop lying.

So, on 11 March 2020 at 11:22pm, you didn't post -- in response to speculation about the BTT being cancelled -- "Nobody's canceling nothin'"?

Ouch :)

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)LOL.Darn those people who reference data and analysis from established, credible sources!!! ARRGGG!!! Edit: I'd be happy to make an hon...

Established credible sources? Hahahahahahahaha!!!

• KofiTime said... (original post)Established credible sources? Hahahahahahahaha!!!

I'm happy to work you into the bet as well.......should be easy money. Seeing as though I'm using bad information from bad sources (like the CDC and university medical journals and all).

You said that by the end of the month, powers-that-be will realize the worst is over and it's time to resume life. So, does spring practice resume by 31 May? I'm happy to set that as the over/under.

• The way attendance has been the past couple of years you can probably maintain a safe social distance inside Memorial Stadium if you ban the bumblebees from the west and the invading red hordes from tOSU, Nebby and Wisky. Of course you'll probably be infected going though the cattle chute strip searches as you enter the stadium.

• KofiTime said... (original post)Established credible sources? Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Hey man, it was in The NY Times. All the smartest people read The NY Times. They’re always right. That’s how Nittany found out Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. Dick Cheney told he NY Times. The NY Times told Nittany. And Nittany lectured all his lessers on why attack was not only necessary but absolutely imperative...using reliable data...and established credible sources, of course.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)I'm certainly no epidemiologist. I do, however, respect data and well reasoned analysis. And I do acknowledge the limits of that data a...

If only we could get actual facts. In Indiana, local nursing home reported 2 cases On a Monday. By Wednesday-60. They re tested, only 2, rest false positive. CDC has not corrected the numbers.

• SWIllini said... (original post)If only we could get actual facts. In Indiana, local nursing home reported 2 cases On a Monday. By Wednesday-60. They re tested, only 2, rest false ...

There are plenty of anecdotes like that, it seems.

Getting a handle on the true # of infected is virtually impossible at this point. But deaths (or hospitalizations) are easier to measure -- though not perfect. In PA, deaths are really soaring, as they are in some other locations which were previously much better. Nationally, we've had 5,000 over the past two days, and appear to be headed for another spike based on trends.

If May continues to trend the way it is, then I just don't see how anything football-related is up and running again -- at least consistently across the country -- until at least July. Hope I'm wrong.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)I'm happy to work you into the bet as well.......should be easy money. Seeing as though I'm using bad information from bad sources ...

It's just my opinion. Why do you want to wager on this? Time will tell. The CDC is a privately-owned company, it isn't a government agency. They stand to make hundreds of millions of dollars when vaccines come out. They and Bill Gates and his cronies, also. They tell people to stay inside, away from fresh air & sunshine, tell them to wear masks, which only forces them to breathe in carbon dioxide after exhaling. There are plenty of doctors and medical people saying this is silly.

• KofiTime said... (original post)It's just my opinion. Why do you want to wager on this? Time will tell. The CDC is a privately-owned company, it isn't a government agenc...

That's fair -- differences of opinion are totally fine. My offer was really for another poster who insisted on mockery to make his/her point. If the information I'm posting is really a bunch of propagandized garbage, then why not make a friendly wager to see whose predictions align most closely with how things transpire? Either way, money goes to a charity. I'd be the first person to celebrate a safe and earlier-than-expected resumption to normal, even if it means I was totally wrong.

• KofiTime said... (original post)The CDC is a privately-owned company, it isn't a government agency. They stand to make hundreds of millions of dollars when vaccines come out. ...

Well the CDC seems to think it is a Federal Agency, but maybe that is just their opinion...

• Maybe every fan will have to do a shot of disinfectant when entering the stadium and the season will be played with the stands full. And it should go away with the hot weather so fall football should be good to go.

• KofiTime said... (original post)It's just my opinion. Why do you want to wager on this? Time will tell. The CDC is a privately-owned company, it isn't a government agenc...

The CDC is a private company that develops vaccines? Tizzy this even dumber than believing there is a firmament above the clouds.
    Also why would Bill Gates even care about a few hundred mill? He gives more than that away every year.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)There are plenty of anecdotes like that, it seems.Getting a handle on the true # of infected is virtually impossible at this point. But deat...

Talk about losing the plot.... jeezus.

Being right about what governments are likely to do proves .... what? There’s a dangerous assumption there — that government is doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Want my prediction? Barring a massive civil pushback by honest citizens, something close to this is our near term future: https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/03/17/905264/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing-18-months/

Will it be based on solid science and in the best interests of people? If the current situation is any indication, No. Absolutely not.

Are you aware of the (perverse) financial incentive hospitals have to classify deaths as Covid deaths even when that hasn’t been shown?

Have you done an independent analysis of the data you are citing to justify this world wide lockdown? (I already know the answer to that question).

Does it make any sense to you that you are allowed to go to the liquor store and Walmart but hiking trails and beaches are closed?

What are the numbers from the 7 states that didn’t lock down? How are they fairing? Did Sweden take the right approach? When did Bill Gates become the world’s foremost expert on virology/immunology/epidemiology and public health policy? What do you know about Fauci?

https://archive.org/details/plandemic-documentary-the-hidden-agenda-behind-covid-19_20200507

[Warning: The above has been removed from YouTube and Vimeo so it’s obviously nothing but very bad, dangerous conspiracy theory. It hasn’t been vetted by The NY Times editorial board and accordingly could cause cardiac arrest in oversocialized repeaters and other assorted cowardly mid wits.]

Fear not and think for yourselves. It’s much harder than reading the Economist or listening to NPR and patting yourself on the back at how sophisticated and informed you are. It takes a lot more time and agitation (because you have to sift through a lot of crap and lies) and, frankly, it takes a lot more courage because the repeaters might laugh at you. But do it anyway. It’s good exercise for responsible citizenship.

• Don’t know why my initial response to the impeccably informed repeater was deleted. There was nothing in it that violated board rules.

?

• SirIllini said... (original post)Talk about losing the plot.... jeezus. Being right about what governments are likely to do proves .... what? There’s a dangerous assumption there ...

Dude.....

You're jumping the shark, my man. You seem a tad bit triggered.....and you've taken this discussion well beyond the point of this thread. I know, I know.......Bill Gates! Big Pharma! Vaccines! Sounds like great Boneyard material.

I see you didn't put me on ignore after all. Whew!!! :)

• This discussion needs to be taken to the Boneyard. Unless you can say something in how it relates to the upcoming football season that is. If it continues as is, I'm going to lock it.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)Dude.....You're jumping the shark, my man. You seem a tad bit triggered.....and you've taken this discussion well beyond the point ...

Dude...

You’re a great repeater.

Keep supplying that valuable info and enforcing the bounds of legitimate discussion. Lord knows we don’t need any “shark jumping” on something as serious as a sports message board site. That could get ....serious.

We’ll all stay afraid for you because you’re obviously a very serious, well-informed reasonable fellow.

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/cbs-news-this-morning-aired-faked-covid-19-drive-through-testing-site-line/

• jms397 said... (original post)This discussion needs to be taken to the Boneyard. Unless you can say something in how it relates to the upcoming football season that is. If it cont...

Not really. This discussion seems fine here.

We’re sports fans. Our kids play on teams. Why can’t we discuss the appropriateness of canceling these things? What’s the harm?

Why is anything that deviates from The NY Times’ 3x5 index card of “legitimate discussion” to be exhiled to the boneyard?

There are hundreds of millions of dollars and tens of thousands of peoples’ livelihoods at stake with respect to what happens with college football and basketball alone.

We know colleges will do what the government tells them to do. The question whether that is appropriate or wise or even moral seems like an appropriate topic for a college sports message board. What am I missing?

• SirIllini said... (original post)Not really. This discussion seems fine here.We’re sports fans. Our kids play on teams. Why can’t we discuss the appropriateness of canceling these ...

I specifically stated discussion about it that relates to the upcoming football season can stay here. When it veers off course as it has, it belongs in the Boneyard.