Allegations of Racial Abuse at Iowa- Chris Doyle Placed on Leave

Allegations of Racial Abuse at Iowa- Chris Doyle Placed on Leave

• I thought this was interesting given the comments in the other thread about the race issues in Minnesota and whether it will or should impact their program and whether it would benefit a school like Illinois to have a black head coach.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-football/2020/06/4822/chris-doyle-placed-on-administrative-leave

• Discussion
  • Not trying to sound polyanish here. My perspective is that the past and current coaching staff started at "ground zero" as it relates to attracting talent to U of I. There are obstacles in Champaign that other B1G schools do not have. We have read about those frequently on this board. Lovie and his staff have had some positive and negative results bringing in (and moving out) players. But most agree 4 years of development has led to a positive slope in terms of bringing in better talent.

I would like to think that in 2020 players would want to come to the Uof I to get exposure to a coach who knows what it takes to play in the NFL and because of positive chemistry and atmosphere around the U of I football program.

I would also like to think - that in 2020 no team would benefit or suffer based on the color of their head coach.

There are a number of ex - NFL players (both black and white) who have had only positive things to say about Lovie Smith, particularly how he communicated with and treated his players. Shouldn't that be the reason to play football at U of I?

• Its tempting to bury one's head in the sand and ignore that race is an issue. Query, why would the NFL feel it necessary in mid May prior to the Floyd death to consider a plan to:

-Give league owners incentives, including higher draft picks, if teams hire minority coaching candidates.
    -Calls for removing permissions that prevent assistant coaches from interviewing for other jobs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/18/nfl-minority-coach-hiring-proposal-faces-challenges.html

Iowa's in deep. Illinois should be proud that its AD had the wisdom to choose Coach L. Smith as a head coach. His NFL experience as well as his level headed demeanor make him a good choice in these difficult times.

• Doyle got quite a lot of money as a parting gift. Makes you wonder how much truth in these allegations or if it's just a bunch of snowflakes who can't take being yelled at.

Either way with the timing of another issue. Not so sure Iowa wanted to deal with and just paid him to go away peacefully into the night.

• orangeandbluerule said... (original post)I would also like to think - that in 2020 no team would benefit or suffer based on the color of their head coach.

Okie State with some controversy over the past 24 hours with Gundy wearing a OAN T-shirt. I'm not familiar with OAN but apparently it is a very right wing news outlet and at least one African American student took umbrage. With race relations under a microscope these days, the color of the coach's skin may or may not matter but the way he is perceived and the way he treats his players certainly does.

• LongLiveOMalleys said... (original post)Okie State with some controversy over the past 24 hours with Gundy wearing a OAN T-shirt. I'm not familiar with OAN but apparently it is a ...

Frankly it's gotten out of hand, as is predictable. Weve pushed so hard for tolerance (a good thing) that we went right past tolerance and instead became intolerant on the opposite side. The Gundy thing is dumb. If they treat everyone the same, and doesnt say discriminatory things or act in a discriminatory way, why is he chastised for what news station he watches, or political figure he supports? What's next, cant wear shoes made by a company owned by someone who donates to a political party you dont like? Are people not allowed to have their own beliefs now, for fear of being fired or labeled a racist, even when their life of actions and relationships say otherwise? Its lunacy.

There are bad actors out there, and when their words and actions show discrimination absolutely they should be called out and/or fired. But everyone is on the witch hunt now.
  • OAN is a fairly new source of News. Yes it is a much more conservative bent on reporting. It is just the opposite of MSNBC or CNN. You have to go looking for it if you have never heard of it. I will occasionally listen to it. The talking heads are a little bit monotone in their delivery. If someone has a problem with it then if a coach wore a CNN shirt and student didn't like it would the same thing happen to a coach. What a world we are living in. I feel like I have been asleep like Rip Van Winkle and this is just a dream and can't wake up. Can't wait for Illini football. I have a question and not living in ILL. Does the Gov have the authority to stop football in the state of ILL? Can he tell all colleges that they can't play this year? Just wondering.

• I have no idea why you're post is not in the Boneyard. However your problem is not Rip, but Jim Crow. Blacks have a voice whether you like it or not. But until such time when a coach wears a CNN or MSNBC shirt and players complain, your argument is *****.

This post was edited by DasIllini 5 months ago

• CalumetCityIllini said... (original post)OAN is a fairly new source of News. Yes it is a much more conservative bent on reporting. It is just the opposite of MSNBC or CNN. You hav...

I don't believe Gundy should be fired for wearing an OAN shirt. Apparently there are other issues that players are coming forward with, so who knows.

That said......OAN has frequently promoted conspiracy theories, and is at least partly supported by the Kremlin (Russian government-funded reports have served on OAN's payroll). There's no shortage of reasons to critique Fox News or MSNBC. OAN is on a completely different level. Maybe not quite on par with InfoWars, but it's not far off.

Still.....kids at that age need to learn to deal with divergent opinions. But I imagine there's more to this story behind the scenes that we haven't seen.

And there's no way Chubba Hubbard sits.

• "Still.....kids at that age need to learn to deal with divergent opinions"

Your statement would be funny if it weren't so damn clueless. Those kids have been dealing with "divergent opinions" all their lives. The last thing they need is a lecture from you

• Woke is so demanding. They need to invent a Woke pill that will program a person to walk the line. "Everything you think do and say is in the pill you took today."

• TrueOrangeAndBlue said... (original post)Woke is so demanding. They need to invent a Woke pill that will program a person to walk the line. "Everything you think do and say is in ...

At the rate we're going in 10 years people will need anxiety pills for the stress of trying to figure out what's offensive today and what they can lose their job, career, education, etc for saying or doing.
  • quadcitiesillini said... (original post)At the rate we're going in 10 years people will need anxiety pills for the stress of trying to figure out what's offensive today and what t...

Hope so.

It's like a common sense litmus test that a lot of people are failing. If you are too stupid to understand the current climate and feel the need to act on ignorant impulses, you don't deserve to be leading anything.
  • DasIllini said... (original post)"Still.....kids at that age need to learn to deal with divergent opinions"Your statement would be funny if it weren't so damn clueless. Those kids ...

When you are an unpaid player and you see your millionaire coach supporting a media outlet that promotes lies and ignorance, you should speak up.

Gundy also wanted to play before anyone else. The guy loves football, but he's strayed a long way from his "come after me" days.

Hard to make an argument that he cares about his players.

This post was edited by thedawson123 5 months ago

• 619illinibooyah said... (original post)Doyle got quite a lot of money as a parting gift. Makes you wonder how much truth in these allegations or if it's just a bunch of snowf...

I would say it was way more likely that any $ Doyle was given on the way out the door was hush $ so he didn't spill the beans on any other incidents that might have happened with other staff members. And I'm not just talking about potential racial issues. I'm guessing there is all types of mud a dismissed coach could sling.

• jacktotherack said... (original post)I would say it was way more likely that any $ Doyle was given on the way out the door was hush $ so he didn't spill the beans on any other i...

And yet coaches are dismissed all the time and you dont see that sort of thing happening often.
  • Another article in the Daily Iowan saying that Barta and Ferentz had a 2019 report detailing negative experiences of black athletes from interviewing 50 black athletes. Ferentz says he dropped the ball. He should be dropped, but that will not happen.

• wewillwint said... (original post)Another article in the Daily Iowan saying that Barta and Ferentz had a 2019 report detailing negative experiences of black athletes from intervie...

• Hmmmm....so Lovie hiring a disproportionate number of staff jobs to Black Americans and scholarships mainly to Black athletes ISN'T racist? Seems like a double standard here, my friend.

This post was edited by PPBob 4 months ago

• Let's keep the political commentary out of here. Belongs in the Boneyard.

• jms397 said... (original post)Let's keep the political commentary out of here. Belongs in the Boneyard.

This is an antiquated way of thinking

Even employers are urging their employees to have tough discussions

I'm positive 247 wouldn't want backlash against them for stifling conversation in a critical time and I don't think Werner would either
  • PPBob said... (original post)Hmmmm....so Lovie hiring a disproportionate number of staff jobs to Black Americans and scholarships mainly to Black athletes ISN'T racist? Seems like ...

This is a shameful response and it makes me think that you didn't actually read the article, you just used it as a springboard to say something ignorant.

The article is about how black players at Iowa feel they are treated differently. How they feel like they get drug tested more than their white teammates and how they feel pressured to conform to Iowa" culture.

How can you have so little empathy that your first response is to drum up a fictional post about "hmmm maybe Lovie is racist for hiring and recruiting mostly blacks"? Which is embarrassing of you, by the way.
  • thedawson123 said... (original post)This is a shameful response and it makes me think that you didn't actually read the article, you just used it as a springboard to say some...

He's a one-trick pony who twists anything to crap on Lovie. His schtick is beyond tiresome.

• jacktotherack said... (original post)He's a one-trick pony who twists anything to crap on Lovie. His schtick is beyond tiresome.

I criticize Lovie all the time, but this is more than that.

This is someone making a story about players feeling out-of-place and picked-on and turning it into a moronic theory that Lovie is racist.

This has much more to do with his personal views, likely heavily influenced by the media he has consumed for the last 2-3 decades. You don't react to an article like that unless you're programmed to react to certain issues by the media you consume.

I just hope his grandkids can open his eyes one day.
  • thedawson123 said... (original post)This is an antiquated way of thinking Even employers are urging their employees to have tough discussions I'm positive 247 wouldn't w...

Let's see. Wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

• jms397 said... (original post)Let's see. Wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

100% chance they wouldn't admit to that in print where their words could end up costing them