Big Raises for Football Staff - Warranted ?

Big Raises for Football Staff - Warranted ?

• "After the most successful year of the Lovie Smith era, Illinois gave contract extensions and raises to all of its assistant football coaches. The new deals are expected to be approved at Thursday’s UI Board of Trustees meeting. Here’s what the assistants will be paid:"

Football Staff Salaries Rise

Going from almost being fired to now getting big bumps.....how about repaying for those first several years of ineptitude ?

• Discussion
  • caseytee said... (original post)"After the most successful year of the Lovie Smith era, Illinois gave contract extensions and raises to all of its assistant football coaches. The ...

Warranted no but the problem is after clark leaving they are probably wanting to ensure they keep the staff together to try and build off this season. I get the logic though I dont agree with the cost.
  • SLight salary increase, but that is only after Illini AD received refunds for prior years.

Proof is in pudding next year to see if Illini win 7 games or not. If not, clean house.

Turnover occurs quite regularly for winning teams and they adjust (see Bama, LSU, NE). At Illinois, there is lot of tournover but that isnt because of winning.

This post was edited by illtex 10 months ago

• Yeah 6-7 warrants a pay raise. Only at Illinois.

• Beaker42 said... (original post)Yeah 6-7 warrants a pay raise. Only at Illinois.

but, if the Illini were hiring a new staff member and got outbid or changed his mind last minute for another P5 team, we'd see a post something like this: "Getting out maneuvered by 'program x' simply over money. Only at Illinois. See they aren't committed to winning. The administration just doesn't care."

Sound about right?

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)but, if the Illini were hiring a new staff member and got outbid or changed his mind last minute for another P5 team, we'd see a post so...

This staff doesn’t deserve a raise for any member. Finishing under .500 should be cause for terminations, not celebrations.

• Beaker42 said... (original post)This staff doesn’t deserve a raise for any member. Finishing under .500 should be cause for terminations, not celebrations.

This is called keeping up with the Jones’s, college football style. There aren’t many programs paying football coaches what they’re worth. You realize the vast majority of the P5 are overpaying, right?

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)This is called keeping up with the Jones’s, college football style. There aren’t many programs paying football coaches what they’re worth. Yo...

In most jobs, if you are successful less than half the time, you are usually fired.

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)This is called keeping up with the Jones’s, college football style. There aren’t many programs paying football coaches what they’re worth. Yo...

It’s not like any of these guys would be highly sought after on the open market. Even here in Illinois.

• caseytee said... (original post)In most jobs, if you are successful less than half the time, you are usually fired.

We all know P5 football isn’t anywhere close to most jobs. Nice try with that analogy.

This post was edited by PaytonHighstep 10 months ago

• Beaker42 said... (original post)It’s not like any of these guys would be highly sought after on the open market. Even here in Illinois.

Lol. One of those “guys” just got hired away by an NFL franchise. You keep thinking Illinois Football and everything related to it is trash and you’ll get what you deserve.

• I see the band of keeping it real and we can’t have nice things showed up to defend the mountain of reality.

If you can’t see this is how every P5 team operates with spending on coaches, then you need to re-evaluate why you follow the grimy world of NCAA football, P5 Edition.

Every coach on this staff would get another job, except Miles. Even he might be able to land an FCS gig at this point.

• I essentially agree with Robert. 2020 is make it or break it. Here's hoping it's a clear cut "make it", followed by a strong recruiting class. We HAVE to have both.

• TrueOrangeAndBlue said... (original post)I essentially agree with Robert. 2020 is make it or break it. Here's hoping it's a clear cut "make it", followed by a ...

Agreed. It's a big year, but so was 2019. Had to get to a bowl game (any bowl game), check. Now it's on to duplicating that with hopefully 7+ wins. I have my doubts they can get any more than 7 next year, but that's just my opinion based on what I saw this fall. This offense took a step back and I don't think Rod was very good at all. It'll help having guys back healthy and some new faces to utilize, but I have my doubts about him as a play-caller and what he did in certain situations. Was that dictated by the health of his roster? Maybe, but his offense was consistently bad for long stretches in nearly every game.

• caseytee said... (original post)Going from almost being fired to now getting big bumps.....how about repaying for those first several years of ineptitude ?

Show me a program that operates this way.

• caseytee said... (original post)In most jobs, if you are successful less than half the time, you are usually fired.

Most jobs have zero to do with the sports world. Get a hit once out of every three at bats and a baseball player is in the HOF.. Getting to a bowl was the stated goal all over this forum before the season. That job was accomplished and people like you now want to move the goal posts. The idea of this staff being fired if we only win 6 games and make a bowl game in back to back years for only the third time in our history, expressed above by someone else, is also laughable.

• Fired if less than successful 1/2 the time? Stay out of sales. You don’t sell a “best product in industry” the first time. Stats say, 8-9 calls before you have a chance.

• We are so small-time. We overpay for value brand coaching.

• jacktotherack said... (original post)Show me a program that operates this way.

Did you literally think that's what he meant?
  • SWIllini said... (original post)Fired if less than successful 1/2 the time? Stay out of sales. You don’t sell a “best product in industry” the first time. Stats say, 8-9 calls bef...

SW, that applies to sales/recruiting perhaps but NOT to design, management and production....If your product or service is only successful half the time, you're out of business....Reward has more to do with trends than absolute performance.

Where is our player development, game planning and recruiting headed?

It's tough to say that many players had decisively better years in 2019 than in 2018, and many played fundamentally worse in '19. Corbin was down. I didn't see improvement in our returning receivers, especially in downfield blocking. Despite PFF grading, IMHO only Green improved on the OL. Whether that was due to coaching changes or that our players just met their peak talent in 2018 I can't say. DT was maddeningly inconsistent in technique and positioning. They held their own against wiscy but they got their tails beat off against NW. Pass rush just wasn't there from the "lovie players" after a weak non-con schedule.

DBs really regressed. Quan Martin disappeared after a promising frosh season. Stanley Green FINALLY figured out how not to target yet still hit, but Brown regressed at the end of the season and had coverage problems, and Joseph and the rest of the safeties didn't show that they can play at this level. ALL the DBs had positioning and coverage problems.

Recruiting? I don't think anyone here is pretending that this class brought us any closer to a middle of the pack B1G team YET but who knows....maybe the new coaches can bring in some 4*s for the Feb signing date from the transfer pool. They don't seem to have any major network contacts for preps coming from Western Kentucky and JC.

Salaries are crazy in P5 CFB these days, but at least we should get above average qualifications for above average salaries, and Lovie's "investments" in staff sure haven't brought financial returns for the cost through increased attendance, clothing and other sales and contributions from satisfied alumni.

I'm still a "glass half full" guy, though. In the last couple of years Clark and Hudson got program changing transfers from USC, and without Bhe Bhe and Betiku we're 4-8 at best instead of 6-6. Same goes for the addition of Peters. Without him I don't know that we win a B1G game. Without Eifler, our LB group would have been even worse. We really had no one close to Pettibon as a replacement for Allegretti. Brown, Slaughter, Cerny and Pearl have yet to show they can play OL at this level, and what we saw on the field from them was not encouraging....

Without Patterson's guys from Trinity we'd wouldn't even be competitive in the MAC this year and last.

Wesalex, since it seems you're in sales, you know that building a sales network is essential for success so that those "blue chip" clients will at least take your calls where they may not if you're just another cold call. What concerns me most is that the staff Lovie hires doesn't have those contacts so they can't get those 4* QUALITY players to even listen to their schpiel. They seem to be one trick ponies who have a "ins" with a few quality players but its not sustainable.

Right now we have Hayes Stoker who's got his foot in a few doors in Texas (in no way a "pipeline"), Patterson in St louis where he's a little bit above average for decent P5 players but can't even lasso most of his former players (and those links are rapidly dissolving) and Hudson seems to have some pull in Florida which is essential for the program to have competitive talent. Can Davis and Lindsey do better in Florida than Clark? I guess we'll see. I'll believe they can until they prove otherwise...As far as the rest of the staff Miles AND LOVIE just haven't shown an ability to bring in competitive LB talent. Cooper was all Patterson, and Barnes and Tolson are still ???? We'll see on the two LB/Safety transfers for next year.

Mc Cain just can't recruit the quality OL we need and he lost a number of in state players who had us leading going into the season, but quickly lost them after Butkus left. Ligashesky is no recruiter for some reason, but he's a good enough ST coach to compensate. I want Bellamy to succeed, but he hasn't shown much recruiting or RB development skill since he came here. Two poor years and we may need to move on. We can do better for a quarter Million a year...

I think the Feb signing day and Spring ball player development will tell us a lot ab out what Lovie bought for us...

PS..I'm STILL hoping that Lovie finds a way to bring in Harry Hiestand for our OL...

This post was edited by PPBob 10 months ago

• I don't see the big deal about the salaries. In year 5 it's about getting done or last paycheck. That doesn't mean 6-6 or even 7-5 is getting it done. recruiting, but it does include recruiting that must take a big step up.

This post was edited by DasIllini 10 months ago

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)but, if the Illini were hiring a new staff member and got outbid or changed his mind last minute for another P5 team, we'd see a post so...

Dude this is hilarious but so true, nailed it.

• PPBob said... (original post)SW, that applies to sales/recruiting perhaps but NOT to design, management and production....If your product or service is only successful half the ti...

Way to long for a negative rant

• wewillwint said... (original post)Way to long for a negative rant

So only POSITIVE rants can be long? Being specific and detailed when critical is something I picked up over the years. Short answers are typically rebutted by "you couldn't identify a single specific problem!" or "you couldn't explain anything you criticize!" I got tired of that. No one is forcing you to read the whole thing. If it doesn't interest you, move on...

• DasIllini said... (original post)I don't see the big deal about the salaries. In year 5 it's about getting done or last paycheck. That doesn't mean 6-6 or even 7-5 is getting it d...

Because we're expecting Lovie to hire the best staff possible and it's impossible to feel like that's happening.

Our staff is filled with guys with little to no full-time FBS assistant experience before coming to Illinois.

Toledo just hired Mizzou's old DL coach, who got a ton out of DLineman while there. We hired a juco DT coach and WKUs DE coach

This post was edited by thedawson123 10 months ago

• wewillwint said... (original post)Way to long for a negative rant

True. Nice 3 year novel, Bob