Big Ten going to conference-only schedule

Big Ten going to conference-only schedule

• Per several reports.

This hurts Illinois probably more than others given our OOC schedule. 3 easy wins taken off the schedule.

Wipes away Oregon vs. Ohio State, Penn State @ VA Tech, Michigan @ Washington, and Notre Dame @ Wisconsin.

• Discussion
  • Going to also hurt the sacrificial lambs that conference schools schedule in the preseason. Those payouts go a long way towards covering the entire athletic budgets for those schools.

• BRucksJr said... (original post)Going to also hurt the sacrificial lambs that conference schools schedule in the preseason. Those payouts go a long way towards covering the entire ...

Yep.

This really kills schools like Rutgers and Maryland, too, who need some early OOC wins to help their new coaches gain mojo before going into the Big Ten East with OSU, PSU, Michigan, etc.

Probably saves Michigan from dropping an early game in Seattle (though that game is probably a toss-up). Saves ND from losing in Madison, in all likelihood.

But yeah......really kills G5 and mid-major teams.

• If the season is played, I don't think many are looking to OCC games as measure of progress. Illini were 4 for 9 in league play last season, runover in too many games. and where the really improvement needs to happen.

• DasIllini said... (original post)If the season is played, I don't think many are looking to OCC games as measure of progress. Illini were 4 for 9 in league play last season, ...

Maybe not. But 4-5 is a lot different than 7-5 for purposes of perception. Even if it doesn't necessarily mean the team is any worse.

Either way, I don't think there will be a season at all. Just my guess.

This post was edited by NittanyIllinois 4 months ago

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)Maybe not. But 4-5 is a lot different than 7-5 for purposes of perception. Even if it doesn't necessarily mean the team is any worse.Ei...

So is 5-4 a lot better than 4-5 for purpose of perception, but not necessarily mean team is any better. But at this stage of perennial rebuild I'm not sure how else progress can be measured except for winning season in league play.

This post was edited by DasIllini 4 months ago

• Well, Illini beat Rutgers in week 1 and then maybe 1-2 other wins at most.

So much for going bowling.

• DasIllini said... (original post)If the season is played, I don't think many are looking to OCC games as measure of progress. Illini were 4 for 9 in league play last season, runov...

That conference record was probably at least a game or two better without key injuries but, I get that injuries are part of the game and everyone has them. We had more than our share in late conference games last year though.
  • NittanyIllinois said... (original post)Maybe not. But 4-5 is a lot different than 7-5 for purposes of perception. Even if it doesn't necessarily mean the team is any worse.Ei...

Nittany. I hate to agree with you, but this is my guess too.

I’m very concerned as to whether there will even be students on campus if cases continue to grow the rest of July.

Our kid has a scheduled time to move in to the dorm room mid-August. I am afraid if we grow to 100K+ cases a day plus hospitals overrun, we will be back to March-April living.

This post was edited by bcosec 4 months ago

• bcosec said... (original post)Nittany. I hate to agree with you, but this is my guess too. I’m very concerned as to whether there will even be students on campus if cases continue ...

The number if cases dont really matter. All comes down to how sick people get. If people dont get sick enough to require hospital stays it's fine. But the fact is no matter what precautions they put in place cases will spike when students get back to college. Now HOPEFULLY with them being the prime demographic you want to get it (mostly young and healthy) it wont be a major issue. But the new case numbers a month after school starts will likely be staggering.
  • NittanyIllinois said... (original post)Either way, I don't think there will be a season at all. Just my guess.

At the end of the day they are cancelling out of conference games as a health precaution. But as a health precaution, this accomplishes very little at all. The only real difference maker is cancelling the season. So I agree, that's where this is headed. I mean maybe you can play in the spring, which knows, but its spring or nothing. Cancelling the OOC is the first step, not the last step.

This post was edited by UofIs45114043 4 months ago

• UofIs45114043 said... (original post)At the end of the day they are cancelling out of conference games as a health precaution. But as a health precaution, this accomplishes very l...

Admittedly I haven't read the fine print, so maybe all the info is there and I'm just ignorant about it. But will the new conference schedule begin in early September?

I thought part of the reason why cancelling the OOC makes sense is to give teams at least some spring/summer practice before the season starts. Because it's already almost mid-July, and teams aren't even practicing yet.

If it's purely a health-related decision, then it makes little sense to say it's safe to play 9 games but not 12. But I do agree -- it's a first step.

• Here's a question: How is playing only conference teams any safer than playing OOC games? It would make sense if they had some sort of NBA bubble where all the teams in one conference were playing and staying in the same place, but that isn't the case. Players will still be traveling from all over their region and transmitting the virus if they have it whether it be conference or non-conference opponents. This seems like a pointless gesture.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)Admittedly I haven't read the fine print, so maybe all the info is there and I'm just ignorant about it. But will the new conference schedul...

That is a good point. I'll sort of add that if it hasn't been safe to practice yet, and cases are rising in general, then I'm not sure its safe to practice now. I actually struggle more with the idea of practice than a game. There is risk in a game for sure. But if i have the virus and I'm around my teammates every day in practice, I think it's a greater risk that I spread it to them, than it is that I spread it to the other team in a game. I might be a backup that doesn't even play in the game or gets in a few plays on special teams, or a punter that no one touches. Whereas even in that case I'm certainly exposing my teammates day in and day out. But admittedly both are risks.

But yes, you're right, I really hadn't considered that delaying the start of the season gives them more time to get ready from a football standpoint, as opposed to just a virus standpoint.

This post was edited by UofIs45114043 4 months ago

• jacktotherack said... (original post)Here's a question: How is playing only conference teams any safer than playing OOC games? It would make sense if they had some sort of NBA bub...

It's totally a pointless gesture.

They should just shut everything football-related down.

Cases are spiking everywhere, yet the country was exponentially more cautious in March than they are right now.
  • Five will get you ten that there is no NCAA football this fall. Remember that the Ivy League was the first to their cancel basketball tournament, and the rest followed suit. It will be very difficult to continue and face criticism to the effect that any given conference cares less about player health and safety than any other conference. Imagine the Big Ten saying "The Ivy League has gone too far and their actions are unnecessary". BTW, even if there is football, if the other Power 5 conferences also decide on conference only schedules, Notre Dame will have only two games scheduled. (Insert insane, maniacal laughter here).

• bernardo62 said... (original post)Five will get you ten that there is no NCAA football this fall. Remember that the Ivy League was the first to their cancel basketball tournament, ...

ND has secured support from the ACC, so they'll have their ACC games in play at least.

I do agree that there likely won't be a season.

• I understand that there is danger in moving forward into uncharted territory (playing a sport during a pandemic). It may seem foolhardy to play but is consistent with the "take risk for potential profit" attitude inherent in the american psyche.

• illtex said... (original post)Well, Illini beat Rutgers in week 1 and then maybe 1-2 other wins at most.So much for going bowling.

If fans are not in the stands for regular season games, there almost certainly will be no bowls.

• thedawson123 said... (original post)It's totally a pointless gesture.They should just shut everything football-related down.Cases are spiking everywhere, yet the country was ...

Well, in March they were telling us that 64 million were gonna die from this. Now people know that was hogwash, so............

• KofiTime said... (original post)Well, in March they were telling us that 64 million were gonna die from this. Now people know that was hogwash, so............

Huh? You ok?
  • illtex said... (original post)Well, Illini beat Rutgers in week 1 and then maybe 1-2 other wins at most.So much for going bowling.

If 5 and 7 has a mathematical chance to go bowling, I'd think 4 and 5 certainly would. But yeah, may be a moot point.

• TrueOrangeAndBlue said... (original post)I understand that there is danger in moving forward into uncharted territory (playing a sport during a pandemic). It may seem foolhardy to ...

Or maybe americans have just always acknowledged living life has risks. And you have to assess those risks on an individual basis. We have always been a risk taking people, right, wrong or indifferent, it's been that way since the nation was founded.
  • quadcitiesillini said... (original post)Or maybe americans have just always acknowledged living life has risks. And you have to assess those risks on an individual basis. We have ...

I think this is probably the first time for many Americans that weighing risk has become front most in their minds instead of an afterthought.

• jms397 said... (original post)I think this is probably the first time for many Americans that weighing risk has become front most in their minds instead of an afterthought.

Yeah, they prefer killing themselves slowly by eating unhealthy foods, smoking & drinking alcohol, driving while drunk, texting while driving, etc.