Bowl Game Tickets Not Moving...

Bowl Game Tickets Not Moving...

• Sensing panic from the Athletic Dept....got an email practically begging to buy tickets from UI Ticket office instead of ticket sites like Stub Hub.

The school must have a minimum amount it is on the hook to sell (or eat).

The same, best in house tickets for $134 on DIA site going for $70 on Stub hub .

I had heard that the non-New Years bowls are a financial loser for the participants, they basically paying for the right to be in them.

user generated

• Discussion
  • user generated

• Tickets will be $5-$10 on game day.

Very, very minor bowl games have very little interest amongst the masses. For what the Illini have been charging for the last few years product, they should still be giving out refunds.

This is what happens when school puts little emphasis on major sports.

• Why drop 500 bucks or more to see the. Game Illinois lost to 2-9 NW. the head coach is the DC. Maybe we let him Do that and hire a HC

• Not giving a dime to our AD until I see signs of sustainable athletic success.

• caseytee said... (original post) The school must have a minimum amount it is on the hook to sell (or eat)..I had heard that the non-New Years bowls are a financial loser for the p...

You heard wrong, and Big 10 bowl teams are not on the hook.

• DasIllini said... (original post) You heard wrong, and Big 10 bowl teams are not on the hook.

user generated

The tenor of this entreat sounds like on the hook to me...

"Illinois fans are highly encouraged to purchase their bowl tickets directly through the Illinois Ticket Office.
    Sit and cheer with other Illini fans
    Buy directly from Illinois and help financially support the Illinois Athletics program
    Demonstrate to the entire bowl community and all of college football the loyalty of Fighting Illini Fans and Illini Nation"

This post was edited by tostyone 11 months ago

• The mandate is to Big 10 since the money goes directly to conference and not the school. You can circle anything you like, but Big 10 is on the hook for tickets. I already explained why it's important for school to sell their allotment.

Minny did not sell its ticket allotment of the 2mil Quick Lane, yet received 2mil for
    1.98mil expense plus 40,000 more for a total 2.2mil.

Edit: Sorry I didn't already explain, I must have put up the wrong draft

This post was edited by DasIllini 11 months ago

• Playing the game in California is the biggest hinderance. Flights are very expensive during this time period, as well as the San Francisco Area. I could do it but don’t feel like shelling out the $1,200+ in plane tickets for 2 people plus tickets and hotel expenses (and time off work) to see a mediocre team. If the game would have been in Detroit, Nashville, Dallas, Jacksonville, or about anywhere else in Florida, or maybe the game in New York City I could justify it better to myself. I just think the lesser bowls should be more regionally located to both teams.

• darinj20 said... (original post) Playing the game in California is the biggest hinderance. Flights are very expensive during this time period, as well as the San Francisco Area. I ...

I was all in for the Pinstripe Bowl as well until the team laid an egg Thanksgiving weekend....air would have been cheaper and have relatives in Brooklyn Heights for lodging...

• DasIllini said... (original post) The mandate is to Big 10 since the money goes directly to conference and not the school. You can circle anything you like, but Big 10 is on the h...

You must have written it in disappearing ink...

As for being on the hook, you can palm it off against the league if that floats your boat, but Delaney ain't gonna eat a crap sandwich without getting a quart of blood from the school in some form or fashion.

• Not directing this at anyone, but everyone wanted an Illini bowl season, and I'm hearing what sounds like complaints for having one.

• DasIllini said... (original post) Not directing this at anyone, but everyone wanted an Illini bowl season, and I'm hearing what sounds like complaints for having one.

We all complain about something. It’s what people do. I bet Ohio State fans are mad they didn’t get the #1 seed. Wouldn’t we love to be doing that? I think the slow progress is the frustrating part. Big picture is 6 wins plus bowl is improvement in the win column. Yet, the loss to Northwestern left a bad taste in people’s mouth at how far this program has to go to have sustainable success. Recruiting doesn’t seemed to have upticked a whole lot, but I definitely like the idea of bringing in grad transfers with talent that are sitting behind starters at USC etc. This bowl game is meaningful in several ways regardless of where its played at or how many fans attend. Hopefully it will make the players hungry to do it again next year while believing in themselves that it will happen despite all the negativity. Hopefully brighter days ahead. If we can truly go at least 6-1 and look pretty good doing it. The fan base will get excited again leading to bigger crowds. On a side note. I remember going to games as a kid and looked forward to the halftime show with the Chief dancing on the field. It really got people excited. Then that was taken away. End of Story.

• caseytee said... (original post) You must have written it in disappearing ink...As for being on the hook, you can palm it off against the league if that floats your boat, but Dela...

He's going to have eat it, conference is where the bread goes. So at least he'll have something to make a sandwich.

In 2020-2025 Big Ten will have the most diverse postseason lineup in conference history with at least 11 different bowl partners. Delaney has a lot of muscle with bowls, The quart of blood he may get from Illini for poor ticket sales is regulating to them to BumF Egypt Bowl next time around.

• These lesser bowls need to be regional to really cut down on expenses. The B1G should not be playing a Pac12 school in this type of bowl in Cali. Besides the Rose bowl it doesn't make sense to play in Cali. I don't think the Holiday bowl is even worth it, although Iowa and USC is a good matchup.

Looking at this year's b1g bowls, MSU should be playing Pitt in Detroit. No one is going to NYC to watch Wake. Illinois should be playing in a bowl in Indy against an ACC or SEC team.

• darinj20 said... (original post) We all complain about something. It’s what people do. I bet Ohio State fans are mad they didn’t get the #1 seed. Wouldn’t we love to be doing that...

I don't disagree with anything you say, except the for the Chief. I can understand the emotions, and genuinely sorry for the Illini fans sense of loss, but the Chief didn't mean much to me other than Illini gear.

• SolarILLINI said... (original post) These lesser bowls need to be regional to really cut down on expenses. The B1G should not be playing a Pac12 school in this type of bowl in Cal...

Had Illini been a contender, your post about locality and expenses wouldn't be up now.

• TreThomas said... (original post) Not giving a dime to our AD until I see signs of sustainable athletic success.

Non-sensical take. What if no one donated for this reason?

• caseytee said... (original post) Sensing panic from the Athletic Dept....got an email practically begging to buy tickets from UI Ticket office instead of ticket sites like Stub Hu...

Panic?? This doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, they would rather you buy from the university instead of the secondary market so they get the $.

• TreThomas said... (original post) Not giving a dime to our AD until I see signs of sustainable athletic success.

That will certainly help the athletic program.

• If they want to have more people buy from the athletic department, then they need to rethink their pricing. The DIA has long charged absurd prices for tickets that you can find for cheaper elsewhere, especially given the on-field and on-court product for the last 10-12 years.

They’ve gotten better with ticket packages and specials at home FB and even MBB games - I guess tens of thousands of empty seats finally spoke loudly enough for them to do something about it - but apparently they haven’t figured it out for the bowl tickets.

• darinj20 said... (original post) On a side note. I remember going to games as a kid and looked forward to the halftime show with the Chief dancing on the field. It really got peop...

A family friend's kid attends U of Akron and is a football video manager, so I went to the UI Akron game with the family (they do not live in Illinois and did not follow the Chief Bro-ha-ha), who had never been to an Illinois football game. As we were seated in the visitors section, they were speaking about the anticipation of seeing the half time Chief performance and was disappointed that there was not a dance. I tried explaining as objectively as possible to the Akron people seated around me about the dust up, and to a person they commented on how stupid the issue was......

• IlliniBone2003 said... (original post) If they want to have more people buy from the athletic department, then they need to rethink their pricing. The DIA has long charged absurd ...

Do they have any latitude in bowl ticket pricing ?

• DasIllini said... (original post) Had Illini been a contender, your post about locality and expenses wouldn't be up now.

Duh! But it holds true and I gave examples of other teams in the big ten. there are some bowls that for big ten teams make zero sense to have contracts with.

• Well that's mighty nice of you worrying about other programs, but it only matters if the bowl game makes sense to them.

• caseytee said... (original post) The tenor of this entreat sounds like on the hook to me..."Illinois fans are highly encouraged to purchase their bowl tickets directly through the ...

This is correct, the only mandate is how many tickets Illinois buys from the bowl committee. Big members have it good as the conference bails them out, as opposed to being on the hook, like it used to be.