3) Clemson defeats LSU
  • Discussion
  • LSU defeats Oklahoma

Ohio St. defeats Clemson

Ohio St. wins national championship.

• 1. LSU
    2. tOSU
    3. LSU

• Rodabar said... (original post) LSU defeats OklahomaOhio St. defeats ClemsonOhio St. wins national championship.

That's where I'm at.

• Dang I'm the only one who likes Clemson huh

• wesalex said... (original post) That's where I'm at.

I put my money where my mouth was.

• Rodabar said... (original post) I put my money where my mouth was.

I do think the winner of the OSU-Clemson game wins it all.

• TreThomas said... (original post) I do think the winner of the OSU-Clemson game wins it all.

OSIU has beaten MUCH better teams and all by double figures.

• wesalex said... (original post) OSIU has beaten MUCH better teams and all by double figures.

Okay now that is total crap. Clemson is the best team OSU will have played all year by FAR. Don’t be ridiculous.

• Clemson over Bucks; LSU pummels OU.

• TreThomas said... (original post) Okay now that is total crap. Clemson is the best team OSU will have played all year by FAR. Don’t be ridiculous.

I mean, it's true that Ohio State has played the much better schedule.

It's also sorta irrelevant when analyzing the specific matchups in this game.

Trevor Lawrence isn't any lesser of a QB because the ACC sucked. He has elite WRs, an elite RB, and probably the best O-line that Clemson has had. They're elite whether they played the #1 schedule or the #100 schedule.

The big question mark remains Clemson's D-line. They've been very good, but it's probably the only unit on this team that has taken a step back from last year. If they can't get pressure on Fields, then Ohio State is probably poised to win the game. If the Clemson D can pressure him, though, then Clemson is the favorite. The other wildcard is Fields' mobility.

But even with a lesser D-line, people forget how good the LBs and secondary are for Clemson. Probably a better unit than last year.

Clemson played a weak schedule last year, too. And still won their 2 playoff games by nearly 60 points. This current Clemson team isn't THAT far off from last year's team. They started slow (which probably led to many people writing them off while everybody flocked to focus on Ohio State, LSU, etc.), and because of their schedule very few people have noticed how improved they've become.

• Fields says he's only 80-85% and will wear a brace. Is that legit? Or is he (i.e. OSU) trying to mess with Clemson? Sounds like something Urban would do.

• TreThomas said... (original post) Fields says he's only 80-85% and will wear a brace. Is that legit? Or is he (i.e. OSU) trying to mess with Clemson? Sounds like something Ur...

He definitely got beat up a bit in those Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin games. And that is the double-edge to that "stronger schedule" sword.

Clemson is healthy and peaking at the right time. Ohio State just went through one of the toughest slogs in the nation. I'd be surprised if Fields is 100%, but the question is how mobile will he be at 85%? Still more mobile than a Dwayne Haskins, but mobile enough to elude a Clemson pass rush? They may need to add another blocker for protection, which of course takes one more receiver option off the grid.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post) He definitely got beat up a bit in those Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin games. And that is the double-edge to that "stronger schedule" ...

I definitely was aware that he got beat up. I'm just always extremely skeptical of players telling the media that they are "80 to 85%." What's the point of revealing that information? Smells like B.S. to me.

This post was edited by TreThomas 11 months ago

• TreThomas said... (original post) Okay now that is total crap. Clemson is the best team OSU will have played all year by FAR. Don’t be ridiculous.

Talk about the best team they've played, OSU is light years better than anyone Clemson played. They beat nobody all year and barely got by 6-6 UNC by one point when UNC went for 2 and the win. OSU had no such trouble and they beat a team playing in a NY6 game in PSU. OSU played 4 games v rated teams, I don't believe Clemson played even 1. So yeah, real crap.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post) I mean, it's true that Ohio State has played the much better schedule.It's also sorta irrelevant when analyzing the specific matc...

All that elite talent and yet they beat a hugely mediocre 6-6 UNC team by a single point and would've lost had UNC gotten the 2 point conversion in the end zone. BTW, Clemson beat a top 20 Texas A&M team in College Station last year. In the end though, it's always about what happens on the field this Saturday. Clemson is certainly very capable of winning the game, but they have the by far weaker schedule and by far the weakest performace in a single game v UNC.

This post was edited by wesalex 11 months ago

• Buckeyes by 8.

Big Bob in Brandon

• wesalex said... (original post) All that elite talent and yet they beat a hugely mediocre 6-6 UNC team by a single point and would've lost had UNC gotten the 2 point conversi...

Clemson program has had far better performance in past playoffs than OSU.

Lots of Clemson guys played in last two title games so they will be ready. If Lawrence is on, watch out. Dabo Swinney is top notch.

• wesalex said... (original post) All that elite talent and yet they beat a hugely mediocre 6-6 UNC team by a single point and would've lost had UNC gotten the 2 point conversi...

I mean, it's not like any other elite team in the history of college football has ever struggled to beat a weaker opponent!

(Remember when Clemson lost at home to an 8-5 Pitt team in 2016? Remember when they beat a 7-6 NC State team by 7 in OT? Remember when they beat Troy by 6? Yeah, they won the national title that year.)

Dabo is notorious for having one or two of those random "off" games each year, but he has his team as well prepared for big games as any coach in America.

This post was edited by NittanyIllinois 11 months ago

• wesalex said... (original post) Talk about the best team they've played, OSU is light years better than anyone Clemson played. They beat nobody all year and barely got by 6-6 ...

Virginia was ranked #21. Clemson beat them by 45.

• Personally I think the B10 is a bit overrated this year. And I think that will play out in the bowls.

• Michigan struggled at home against Army, Penn State lost to Minnesota, and Wisconsin lost to Illinois, don’t really see where OSU played a tough schedule - they avoided a tough out of conference opponent, and didn’t play Iowa or Purdue, who beat them the last 2 years. The only ranked opponent they beat on the road was another mediocre Michigan team. At least Clemson played a ranked team out of conference, Texas A&M. I think the only chance OSU has to win is to execute trick plays. I also look for OSU to go after Lawrence and try to knock him out of the game, they’ve done this before. As far as Fields being 80-85%, I agree with everyone else, doesn’t sound legit, I’m curious if he is injured, how Clemson will handle this, they’re not known as a dirty team like OSU.

This post was edited by iceman2_Scout 11 months ago

• Vegas isn’t buying the Fields injury, the line hasn’t moved.

• iceman2_Scout said... (original post) Vegas isn’t buying the Fields injury, the line hasn’t moved.

Well, he IS hurt. Or at least he was a few weeks ago. He'll probably be wearing a brace.

The question is, how mobile will he be? I suspect he'll be in that 80-90% range, which is probably close enough to "fully capable" to not really influence the line.

Lots of QBs that have gone through gauntlets are banged up a bit by this stage in the season. Sean Clifford at Penn State is another guy who won't be 100% for his NY6 game tomorrow. It sorta comes with the grueling schedule.

• buglebob said... (original post) Buckeyes by 8.Big Bob in Brandon

I hope not. I want them to lose. Don’t want any Big teams to win except us. My hatred for all runs deep for various reasons, mostly stemming from basketball through the years.

• Big 10 looking strong so far. Makes me a bit less confident in Clemson. Still probably would pick them but...