College Football Playoff Games Thread

College Football Playoff Games Thread

• Don't like Fleck but you can't take away what he has accomplished

• TrickorTreat1031 said... (original post) Don't like Fleck but you can't take away what he has accomplished

Who said he was a bad coach or down played his W’s (as some do here on our W’s)?

Most get tired of those that make him sound like a miracle worker taking a 9-4 team to this year. It’s not like he had to clean up a program as well as try to win. It was already made into an established program by previous coach who did the heavy lifting.

• Big Ten 4-5 in Bowl games

• iceman2_Scout said... (original post) Big Ten 4-5 in Bowl games

Started out 3-0..... then it went South.

• SWIllini said... (original post) Sounds like you need to follow Minny FB as they become a national power..... Fleck took over a 9-4 team with a winning past IF you over look the f...

Minny a power? Seriously? Do you proofread your gibberish? Illini supposed train wreck that Lovie inherited is even worse since he took over. Cubit could have done better.

They caught lightning in a bottle in 2016. Previous 5 years under Kill were 29-29. Although that mediocre record would get you a statue at Illinois, that is mediocre in any ones analysis that knows anything about college fball. You obviously dont know difference between mediocre program that caught lightning in a bottle (See RZ years at Illinois) and a team that Fleck is turning into BT power in the West.

Fleck did very good job at WMU and doing even better job at Minny.

• jacktotherack said... (original post) Ouch. They still won by 2 TD's.

Anything can happen in 1 game as I mentioned, but it it only one data point.

Illini stunk in so many games this year and they lost so many statistical battles as a result. Over the long haul, losing many more battles eventually cost you the war.

• C6Z06 said... (original post)Started out 3-0..... then it went South.

It went South once Ohio State was exposed.

• C6Z06 said... (original post) Started out 3-0..... then it went South.

Thanks to some egregious officiating

• iceman2_Scout said... (original post) It went South once Ohio State was exposed.

Exposed? They should have won that game. Did you even watch it? If the fumble stands, it’s a TD and tOSU is playing for a title.

Wisky really should have beaten the Ducks, but turnovers and bad officiating changed the outcome. Heck, even scUM had a first half lead on Bama, though no B1G team was going to beat them.

This post was edited by EddiesSweetJ 10 months ago

• EddiesSweetJ said... (original post) Exposed? They should have won that game. Did,you even watch it? If the fumble stands, it’s a TD and tOSU is playing for a title.wisky really s...

OSU played 7 of their 12 games at home, did not play any P5 teams Out of Conference, and avoided Purdue and Iowa, the only ranked team they played on the road was a weak Michigan team, who struggled at home against Army. Running up the score doesn’t mean anything, if you don’t believe me, ask Bob Stoops.

• illtex said... (original post) They caught lightning in a bottle in 2016. Previous 5 years under Kill were 29-29. Although that mediocre record would get you a statue at Illinois,

FWIW: Jerry Kill was 14-21 in league play, 4 of those wins coming at Illini expense. Strangely Illini managed to beat Kill's best league team of 5-3 in 2014.

But Tracy Claeys did a good job, and Gophers defense was solid in 2016. If Illini had such a defense they might have been West contenders.

• iceman2_Scout said... (original post) OSU played 7 of their 12 games at home, did not play any P5 teams Out of Conference, and avoided Purdue and Iowa, the only ranked team they p...

That's crazy.... OSU exposed ? lol........

They were damn good this year and Clemson didn't expose them, if anything, if the refs make the correct calls, they're in the National Championship game. 2 really good teams, which may have proven to be the best 2 teams in the country.

This post was edited by C6Z06 10 months ago

• TreThomas said... (original post) I would hate 6, I don't want to see teams getting bye weeks. 4 (which I'm fine with right now) or possibly 8.

I'd like to see 8, but don't believe anything should be changed until SEC goes 9 league game

• So you’re going to randomly pick 8 teams instead of randomly pick 4 teams - brilliant! There’s one solution, and everyone knows it - 16 team tournament consisting of 10 conference champs and 6 at large teams. Why this is so difficult to comprehend is beyond me.

• iceman2_Scout said... (original post) So you’re going to randomly pick 8 teams instead of randomly pick 4 teams - brilliant! There’s one solution, and everyone knows it - 16 team ...

Didn't say anything about random, ace, nor did I see the brilliance in your idea.

This post was edited by DasIllini 10 months ago

• iceman2_Scout said... (original post) So you’re going to randomly pick 8 teams instead of randomly pick 4 teams - brilliant! There’s one solution, and everyone knows it - 16 team ...

That is brilliant. Water down the product even more thn the playoffs are.

With LSU, who wants to see them play Illinois in 64 team tournament?

• illtex said... (original post) That is brilliant. Water down the product even more thn the playoffs are.With LSU, who wants to see them play Illinois in 64 team tournament?

40 Bowl games isn’t watered down?

• iceman2_Scout said... (original post) 40 Bowl games isn’t watered down?

Very much indeed. That is why it is so stunning that Illini cant be in them consistently.

Liked old system where #1 could play #5, #2 could play #4. More bowl games had meaning back then. Big Ten vs Pac 10, SEC in Sugar Bowl et al.

This post was edited by illtex 10 months ago

• EddiesSweetJ said... (original post) Exposed? They should have won that game. Did you even watch it? If the fumble stands, it’s a TD and tOSU is playing for a title.Wisky really s...

You're right. Both outcomes changed by officiating. The longest run ever with a ball in your hands that replay official says wasn't caught.

• I agree the scoop and score play should not have been overturned and OSU awarded the touchdown, but Clemson seemed like the more seasoned and mature team, they never panicked and their coach was in control the whole time. OSU plays dirty and gets away with a lot, especially holding receivers. Clemson never tried to hurt Fields, but OSU tried on several occasions to hurt Clemson players. Clemson seems happy just to win games where OSU has to win by 35 points or more to make a point. OSU has a serious inferiority complex.

This post was edited by iceman2_Scout 10 months ago

• iceman2_Scout said... (original post)I agree the scoop and score play should not have been overturned and OSU awarded the touchdown, but Clemson seemed like the more seasoned and ...

It's hard to weep for Ohio State when they won the 2002 natty on the basis of a very controversial pass interference call as time expired. I remember Buckeye fans saying "calls even out over the long run".

Welp, I guess they do.

Either way, cannot help but to admire how Trevor Lawrence bounced back after a rough start and how Brent Venables made defensive adjustments to basically neutralize that Ohio State offense. OSU had their chances and failed to convert FGs into TDs. That was the game.

This post was edited by NittanyIllinois 10 months ago

• Justin Fields is good to have but Joe Burrows is the man and one that got away. Bucks really screwed up.