Illinois players voice concerns

Illinois players voice concerns

• Milo Eifler and others have made their feelings known on twitter. Many of them are concerned about their well-being.

I think with the poor leadership in our country not stressing the importance of doing all you can to prevent the spread, this will only get worse and we will not see college sports

Feel free to post any tweets from players

• Discussion
  • Milo Eifler: "I understand that people want to see us play this season but in reality how can a team full of 100+ student athletes fully function during a pandemic. Trust, my teammates and I want to play. But schools around the country are showing blatant disregard for student athletes."

"For those college football players out there use your voice as a platform for change. The things we go through daily are never shown to the public this our chance to demand what’s right. A new way of thinking as opposed to just going through the motions."

This post was edited by thedawson123 5 months ago

• He was scheduled to speak with the media and then it got cancelled...

Football is such a "don't step out of line" world. I hope he's not being reprimanded

• I don't believe Eifler will be reprimanded for speaking his mind on the pandemic situation. It is a concern not just in college football but in all sports over the world.

I don't fault him one bit for cautiously playing the season. If it were me, I would probably have the same take as him. Coronavirus cases are peaking in different parts of the country and the situation doesn't seem to be improving anytime soon.

This post was edited by gman534 5 months ago

• I think it's unlikely that this season is played. The real risk of the virus combined with many players who think they are not adequately compensated for their efforts and therefore unwilling to play will make the season untenable.

• thedawson123 said... (original post)He was scheduled to speak with the media and then it got cancelled...Football is such a "don't step out of line" world. I hope h...

I seriously doubt he is being reprimanded. Lovie seems to be supportive of players voicing their opinions.

• jacktotherack said... (original post)I seriously doubt he is being reprimanded. Lovie seems to be supportive of players voicing their opinions.

How does the DIA fund the program if there is no season? Will there be athletic scholarships if there is no revenue coming in? Will there be multimillion dollar paychecks for coaching staffs if there is no revenue coming in?

• BRucksJr said... (original post)How does the DIA fund the program if there is no season? Will there be athletic scholarships if there is no revenue coming in? Will there be multim...

The health and safety of the players is more important.

This post was edited by jms397 4 months ago

• jms397 said... (original post)The health and safety of the players is more imp[ortant.

The likelihood of a bunch of college aged atheltes dying from a virus with flu like symptoms and a low mortality rate is slim, at best.

The likelihood of them even displaying symptoms is not great. Even the staff (though older) is in better shape than the average person and at low risk.

If the team practiced and roomed in a nursing home, there would be cause for concern. Did we shut down everything for H1N1? No. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!

• SFChief said... (original post)The likelihood of a bunch of college aged atheltes dying from a virus with flu like symptoms and a low mortality rate is slim, at best. The likeliho...

This is incredibly ignorant and the H1N1 part is just stupid.
  • Player safety is paramount. Wont be a season this year without virus and that isnt happening.

Cant have distance playing on gridiron unless P5 schools play 6 Man football.

• jacktotherack said... (original post)I seriously doubt he is being reprimanded. Lovie seems to be supportive of players voicing their opinions.

Seems like he was based on his latest statement

"Just to clarify and uncertainty about what I said, U of I is doing everything in their power to provide us with a safe and healthy plan to continue workouts. My intent is to figure out what the NCAA is willing to do for us!"

• thedawson123 said... (original post)This is incredibly ignorant and the H1N1 part is just stupid.

Is it ignorant? Theres more pneumonia deaths than covid deaths from feb to now in the college age group. The death rate in that age group is close to that of flu. Do we shut down entire sports seasons for those things?

Not having fans makes a whole lot of sense. Once you get into the 60 age group death becomes a very real concern with covid. Undoubtedly, many season ticket holders ar people with disposable income and time. In other words, retired or near retired folks. You dont really want a huge clump of then in the stands.

For this age group? Please. That's the media panic (which drives viewing by the way). Its fine if they dont want to play, I cant blame them with all they see in the news day in and day out. And also it's a college sport. I couldn't really care less. If they dont play that's more time to get work done around the house saturday mornings, so it's fine by me. But it isnt grounded in reality. It's an unrealistic fear and panic.

Covid needs to be given due respect and we all need to take basic precautions. It's a very real and serious situation. But college football players have almost zero risk to themselves.
  • It's much more than these young men dying. They can bring the disease home to their families or give it to their friends. Plus, many young people survive the initial disease only to have long term health issues due to being infected. Sometimes there are more important things than sports, and this is one of those times.

• quadcitiesillini said... (original post)Is it ignorant? Theres more pneumonia deaths than covid deaths from feb to now in the college age group. The death rate in that age group i...

They're unpaid. Expecting them to do anything that could harm them or their loved ones for the sake of entertainment is nuts.

I hope football and basketball happen, but people are morons and don't take precautions... looking bad going forward
  • jms397 said... (original post)The health and safety of the players is more important.

That goes without saying, but the reality is that without revenue the program will have to cut expenses. No season means no ticket sales, tremendously reduced TV revenue. Likely reduced contributions from Nike and other donors. How can you fund scholarships and salaries on that level of revenue? The DIA is mortgaged to the hilt (more than a quarter billion dollars) and those payments must be made. There are 360 DIA employees that want to be paid. There are construction projects underway or on the way (soccer, track, baseball, softball, indoor golf facility, donated golf course, Bielfeldt - not to mention the desired hockey arena.

• thedawson123 said... (original post)This is incredibly ignorant and the H1N1 part is just stupid.

Is it? I was just messaging with a friend in SF and he shared this with me: "50 dead in SF since the beginning of this - 4 under 61. 880,000 population, so your and my chance of death is 0,00045 percent."

BTW, I have a Bachelor's in Science from UIUC and was recruited at Illinois as an infecteous disease scientist by Pfizer. Still work in the industry. Ignorant? No...

Some of you folks watch too much news. That's the deadly virus!

This post was edited by SFChief 4 months ago

• jms397 said... (original post)It's much more than these young men dying. They can bring the disease home to their families or give it to their friends. Plus, many young peopl...

Long term health issues? LOL! That's ridiculous! Where did you cut and paste that from? How can you (or anyone) possibly know the long term health issues of a virus that has barely been studied and hasn't even been around that long? Think about that...

Just regergitating more fear mongering talking points it seems...

• SFChief said... (original post)Is it? I was just messaging with a friend in SF and he shared this with me: "50 dead in SF since the beginning of this - 4 under 61. 880,000 populat...

Good for you. You must be really smart.

Did your friend also share that California has had 6,000 deaths or are you just cherry pickers?

Wait, hold on... tell me what percentage 6,000 is of their state population so you can feel better about people dying.
  • SFChief said... (original post)Long term health issues? LOL! That's ridiculous! Where did you cut and paste that from? How can you (or anyone) possibly know the long term health i...

Nobody can say what the long term health concerns are right now, but if you were looking at this from an unbiased perspective, you'd also acknowledge that you don't have enough data to feel strongly one way or the other.

It's clear you are biased, though.
  • SFChief said... (original post)Is it? I was just messaging with a friend in SF and he shared this with me: "50 dead in SF since the beginning of this - 4 under 61. 880,000 populat...

You ever heard of variables?

Is there a city taking this disease more seriously than San Francisco?

Funny that you tout them as a shining example of how this disease isn't that bad while you also seem to scoff at those who take it very seriously...
  • So what makes football players, or athletes in general, so special. I have worked every day through this whole thing just like millions of other Americans. If players don't want to play they don't have to. Time to move on. After four years of college you should be well prepared to become a functioning member of society, unless you were a liberal arts, english or journalism major. Get over yourselves and either play or don't . Don't be sniveling on my shoulder.

• jet jockey said... (original post)So what makes football players, or athletes in general, so special. I have worked every day through this whole thing just like millions of other ...

It's pretty funny that you're asking that question on a message board that wouldn't exist without athletes.

And your tangent is hardly related to the matter at hand. You basically went on a stereotypical "old man yells at cloud" rant. All that was missing was a story about walking to school uphill both ways in the rain.

The fact that you're annoyed that he'd even voice his opinion should make you do some soul searching, buy you'll probably just turn fox news instead.

This post was edited by thedawson123 4 months ago

• thedawson123 said... (original post)They're unpaid. Expecting them to do anything that could harm them or their loved ones for the sake of entertainment is nuts.I hope football an...

They're unpaid? You might want to rethink that, unless you are suggesting they give up their scholarships, food vouchers and money for books and housing. In other words, operate like any other college kid. In that case, I would agree they are unpaid. Otherwise, they are paid quite handsomely for playing a sport. That doesnt mean they should have to take certain risks. They didnt sign up for that sp it's not their fault. But saying they're unpaid is about as ridiculous as saying they have a significant risk from covid.

Look covid isnt going anywhere. We can mitigate risks to some extent, but life keeps on going. Most of us have to go to work. Most of us see family and occasionally small groups of friends. There is risk anytime you step outside the front door. Most we are either used to and dont think about or we just dont see it in the news daily so are somewhat unaware.

Again, I couldn't care less if they play a game or not. I like illini sports but it's a casual hobby of mine, nothing more. If they cancel the season that's fine. But it wont be a decision with a lot of evidence to support it. No fans? Sure. That has solid evidence.
  • SFChief said... (original post)BTW, I have a Bachelor's in Science from UIUC and was recruited at Illinois as an infecteous disease scientist by Pfizer. Still work in the ind...

It is astounding that your BS and experience at Pfizer has afforded you a level of wisdom that has evaded most other ID and public health experts.

• BRucksJr said... (original post)How does the DIA fund the program if there is no season? Will there be athletic scholarships if there is no revenue coming in? Will there be multim...

I certainly think a player should consider his short and long term health more important than playing football. However, college football is a business in which Eifler willingly participates (as demeonstrated by his accepting a scholarship for play). Would he have been accepted to enroll at the university if not for his willingness to play football? If he chooses not to play under the guidelines set forth by the university, should his scholarship be revoked? These are not mean spirited questions. They are legitimate questions within the context of the business of college football.