Looks like a new defensive coach to be hired

Looks like a new defensive coach to be hired

• https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/Illinois-football-Illini-hire-Alfred-Davis-Hutchinson-CC-defensive-line-coach--142326905/?fbclid=IwAR1ajGMNypRb4verzxOyQ5cax57vllKf2PWLcgdm-3PY7vzRuWCmnQqMDvc

Probably like most was hoping for a big name to come in and help with the defense. After reading some other post this doesnt look like a bad hire. Seems to be able to recruit and coach the line. Grad assistant at Arkansas before Hutch CC. We have to give him a chance ... Clark did a very good job before he left.

• Discussion
  • I don't think anyone held out hope or believed a big name hire was coming, nevertheless Alfred Davis appears to be a young up and comer and his work will speak for him.

However at this stage in Illini "program building" Davis has gotta hit the ground running, There are no 1-3 years chances.

• At least he looks the part of a bad-**** D-line coach. Hopefully out of the John Teerlink mold.

• Davis played HS in GA and college at Arkansas. He obviously knows football at high level.

Young, energetic and should be able to recruit that fertile HS state of GA.

Very nice hire.

• Lot of athletes in GA. Young coach can speak to the young men. We do have a young staff.

• How does this work. Yesterday they announce a huge raise for Byrd. Today Byrd is out and two (?) new coaches are in. Is the university not required to post all openings for a defined period of time? Clearly that hasn't happened here and it didn't happen when Smith was hired.

• BRucksJr said... (original post)How does this work. Yesterday they announce a huge raise for Byrd. Today Byrd is out and two (?) new coaches are in. Is the university not required ...

Efficiency.
  • BRucksJr said... (original post)How does this work. Yesterday they announce a huge raise for Byrd. Today Byrd is out and two (?) new coaches are in. Is the university not required ...

I've never heard that ever applied to assistant coaches.

But this change seems like a better coaching arrangement than two DB coaches.

• BRucksJr said... (original post)Is the university not required to post all openings for a defined period of time? Clearly that hasn't happened here and it didn't happen ...

They usually get a waiver if the hire is a minority...or so I am told

This post was edited by SelfconFour 10 months ago

• Who gives a flying f? Does anyone believe the posting requirement will prevent any program from hiring the coaches it wants?

• DasIllini said... (original post)Who gives a flying f? Does anyone believe the posting requirement will prevent any program from hiring the coaches it wants?

UR right, Das, It's kind of a sham. it's just that a government bureaucracy set up process to pretend to address racial discrimination and left loopholes a mile wide to get around it. Just a typical Illinois charade.

Regarding why they'd give Byrd a raise before he quit, I suspect his old contract was expiring and if we just didn't renew he wouldn't get a penny in severance. This way he likely not only gets some severance, he gets it at a higher rate.

Like every other branch of Illinois government, patronage and cronyism beats taxpayer interests every time...

• You "expect" and "is likely". Guesswork evidently. I'll guess "don't expect" and "not likely". Because no one knows. But don't let that stop you from making stuff up about the coaching staff.

• I hear Lovie's bringing in Romeo Crennel as a special - special asst.
    Gotta help those old friends out - you know.

Big Bob in Brandon

• wewillwint said... (original post)You "expect" and "is likely". Guesswork evidently. I'll guess "don't expect" and "not likely". ...

Nope. If the Board approved a new contract and it was signed, as I'm sure it was, there are provisions for separation in it. I could FOIA the document and prove it to you, but I don' think I want to waste time just to satisfy you. If you know better about such contracts, feel free to fill this board with your intelligence.

• buglebob said... (original post)I hear Lovie's bringing in Romeo Crennel as a special - special asst.Gotta help those old friends out - you know.Big Bob in Brandon

that actually seems good if true.

• Slowmoillini said... (original post)that actually seems good if true.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that's Bob taking his routine backhanded swipe at the Illini program, specifically Lovie in this instance.

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)Uh, I'm pretty sure that's Bob taking his routine backhanded swipe at the Illini program, specifically Lovie in this instance.

thats what I figured. It would not be a bad move to hire longtime former NFL head Coach in that role if they would do it though.