Luke Ford

Luke Ford

• Discussion
  • Hope we use this athletic tight end frequently

• Good to see Luke Ford active.. excited to finally see him in the field. Poor guy hasn’t really played organized football in close to 3 years. Other than the few reps he got at Georgia his 1st year.

• Wow! Stud! I think he is gonna have a huge year. Can’t wait.

• TrickorTreat1031 said... (original post)Hope we use this athletic tight end frequently

$64K question. At Iowa, he would be AA.

Lets see if OC uses him as we dont feature TEs. A great mystery indeed given our average Qbs, easy to compete passes, underperforming WR's, and obvious size advantage over any secondary. See how productive Nate Stanley was.

• illtex said... (original post)$64K question. At Iowa, he would be AA. Lets see if OC uses him as we dont feature TEs. A great mystery indeed given our average Qbs, easy to compete ...

Kittle wasn't...
  • While I question his friend being 6 ft., It's still an impressive feat for a kid that size. Can't wait to see ya on the field, big guy!

• Ford reminds me of Illinois TE Craig Tuschhoff of Decatur in the early 80s.

• He runs around a 4.5 40!! He's going to be a major force. Peters will be getting him the ball all the time.

This post was edited by wesalex 6 months ago

• wesalex said... (original post)He runs around a 4.5 40!! He's going to be a major force. Peters will be getting him the ball all the time.

They won’t be able to stop him and Barker.

• Illini would be lucky to have one TE who gets 40+ passes.

With Ford getting most of few passes thrown to TE, not much PT or catches for Barker.

• Better hope Rod puts in some "blitz hot routes" for the 2 TE set. If Barker can run block with some efficiency. Dual threats on the end are going to cause some matchup problems for opposing D.

• Barker Ford in the same play, do you load the box and go heavy or go nickel? Go nickel, set them both on the LOS. They go 3-4,4-3, split them both out wide, now we have better running lanes and/or their LBs hoping they don't have to cover Barker or Ford or BOTH.

• ktomcna said... (original post)Barker Ford in the same play, do you load the box and go heavy or go nickel? Go nickel, set them both on the LOS. They go 3-4,4-3, split them both o...

I agree.

However, proof is in the pudding. Illini TEs are usually non existent due to OCs, QBs. Mike Hooman

This post was edited by illtex 6 months ago

• illtex said... (original post)$64K question. At Iowa, he would be AA. Lets see if OC uses him as we dont feature TEs. A great mystery indeed given our average Qbs, easy to compete ...

Yeah, after Ken Dilger, it seemed that IL forgot how to use TE’s or that they’ve were even legitimate roster players. Hopefully Ford’s primary And Barker gets brought in some 2 TE sets new the GL.

• ktomcna said... (original post)Barker Ford in the same play, do you load the box and go heavy or go nickel? Go nickel, set them both on the LOS. They go 3-4,4-3, split them both o...

We’re going to see Ford running loose after the catch on crossing routes.

• Beaker42 said... (original post)Yeah, after Ken Dilger, it seemed that IL forgot how to use TE’s or that they’ve were even legitimate roster players. Hopefully Ford’s primary And ...

That kid who left the program a couple seasons ago had a decent Frosh. year.

• KofiTime said... (original post)That kid who left the program a couple seasons ago had a decent Frosh. year.

Dorsey.

• Dorsey is an interesting case. 2017 22 REC 395 18.0 AVG 3 TD 77 LNG. Dorsey was suspended for the entirety of the spring semester for a violation of team rules that he took full responsibility for; however, after another violation, Dorsey was suspended for the first three games of 2018. Dorsey had been named to the 2018 Mackey Award Preseason Watch List. He finished 2018 without a catch.

Dorsey committed to Iowa Western Community College on Jan. 23 and was immediately eligible in the fall. Best I can tell he committed to Florida Atlantic with a rating of 0.8517

I fully expect Ford to have more touchdowns in 2020 than Dorsey.

Well, Iowa's next tight end AA grew up in the metro-east, was the second most prolific pass catcher in IHSA history, played prominently as a true freshman at Iowa last year and never got a single sniff from Illinois. Oh yeah, the kid had Ivy League offers, too.

• Sam Laporta

So, let's say Illinois offered him and then what do you think the response would've been on this site if he committed? I guarantee posters here would've poo poo'd this recruit based upon his "weak offer list". There would've been back and forth about well, "Iowa offered that's good enough for me" type statements followed up with "how committable was the Iowa offer" statements. People here would've trashed it because, "woo hoo, Illini beat out Bowling Green and Central Michigan for a recruit, that's not sustainable to build a B1G roster".

You and I both know that's how that thread would've looked. To reach back 2 recruiting classes and be critical over a recruit, that frankly 95% of the B1G, Big12 and MAC, didn't offer in their backyard isn't a miss in my opinion.

edit: His ranking didn't go up until the day he officially visited Iowa on 12/14/18. He was a .78 rated recruit before that day. You could say no one except Bowling Green and Central Michigan really saw potentially in him until December 2018. I don't see the Ivy League offers, but I'll trust you on that.

This post was edited by PaytonHighstep 5 months ago

• cardsman8 said... (original post)Well, Iowa's next tight end AA grew up in the metro-east, was the second most prolific pass catcher in IHSA history, played prominently as a ...

Hindsight is great, ain't it?

• cardsman8 said... (original post)Well, Iowa's next tight end AA grew up in the metro-east, was the second most prolific pass catcher in IHSA history, played prominently as a ...

The biggest difference is that Iowa coaches value TE's and Illinois doesnt.

Iowa coaches require their average QB's to throw lots to the TE's; much easier throw than to wideouts. Their TE's are big and strong like Illinois', but Iowa TE's do much more than just being a primary blocker.

We shall see if Ford catches 50+ passes and becomes All Big Ten like he would if he was at Iowa.

• KofiTime said... (original post)Hindsight is great, ain't it?

It was no hindsight. I was banging his drum after his sophomore year. Of course, I have a history with his school and with some of the football staff there. I also met the family and knew he was quite likely to fill out. I was direct messaging members of the Illini staff for two years to get them to offer the kid because he's exactly the type they need in the program. Great athlete (stud basketball player), came from an advanced high school offense, aggressive football mentality, great student, great family, and a very productive strength and conditioning program.

That being said, I'm sure the staff get inundated with "tips" on can't miss prospects all the time.

• Ford will be used like Josh I. Many balls were thrown in his direction in practice. Barker will be more traditional tight end. I will reserve formal judgment until I see it; however, I speculate that it may be effective when the jumbo passing package is put in place during games.

This post was edited by mabprudence 5 months ago

• mabprudence said... (original post)Ford will be used like Josh I. Many balls were thrown in his direction in practice. Barker will be more traditional tight end. I will reserve fo...

If Coach Rod knows how to use him, he could really make the rest of the offense better next year. One of Peters biggest challenges was a collapsing pocket that resulted in hurries (and incompletions) or runs that made him take a pounding and getting injured.

With Ford and Barker on the ends or with Barker in the backfield, when Peters in pressure he could dump off the Ford over the middle or on a quick out. Few defenders could reach high and win the ball from him.

Coach White in his "Flare/Flood" offense made quick release plays and "catch and run" very successful, and it opened up the middle for runs.

In last year, the defense could stack the middle because our OL rarely could get to the LB level for running plays and we didn't have a tall receiver that could find the "hole" as they did with the Illini D for big gains. Ford could change that and make the D spread out and open up the running game.

We really don't have a "home run hitter" at RB other than oft injured Epstein, so we need to develop a pass offense in the short game while our few deep threats like Cumby and BheBhe can scare them deep.

If we play this right, it can really improve the O. Keeping this dicey D off the field is a big deal for next year.

We're counting on an OL that has a lot of trouble in getting to the second level in runs and really isn't very good at pass blocking at the tackles. Poor agility and lateral speed. Our pass rush was lacking even with Betiku, and I don't see much reason to believe it will be better this year. Adams and Hobbs should be solid this year as long as they're at CB, Safety not so much. Safety can be a BIG problem unless the new recruits surprise. LB? Hansen is smart, but doesn't have speed to cover and had a serious injury. Tolson seemed like a confused Bambi in the headlights last year. Eifler is an athletic giant but fundamental and positioning "little person" (PC!lol) With top coaching that can be corrected except...MILES SMITH.

A Ford "relief valve" to take the pressure off Peters, better TE blocking to protect the blind side of the QB, spreading the D and opening up the deep threat receivers, helping run blocking at the second level (NOT Barker's best skill) and keeping the D off the field by allowing a ball control passing game...Ford can help us in many ways if we know how to use him.....