Luke Ford

Luke Ford

• Mike White liked to stretch the filed both vertically and horizontally. He would flare the backs to the sideline which would open up the middle of the field, especially when he sent a receiver long. When under pressure, the QB can dump the ball off to a back and get a 3-5 yard gain instead of a 7 yard loss. A pretty good scheme if you don't have a great offensive line that can give a QB enough time to find an open receiver.

Thomas Rooks was the perfect back for this type of system. Both Brewster and Boso were pretty effective tight ends and neither were extremity athletic.

This post was edited by orangez80 1 month ago

• Mike White was an offensive genius in his day. Especially after having the benefit of following Coach Moeller. Unfortunately, it got harder to win once defenses adjusted to his scheme. If you ever get a chance to sit down and talk to Coach White, he is a pretty blunt guy and will tell you about the challenges of coaching at Illinois.

I think Ford and Josh I split out to each side with Barker at a more traditional tight end role is going to generate good yardage. I am looking forward to Peters staying healthy and quickening his release.

I could go on... Cumby in a Mookie Cooper type of role... Navarro giving steady possession receptions... Epstein breaking runs straight up the middle... Norwood, Sandy (and dare I say Campbell) supplying some speed... but I won't.

This post was edited by mabprudence 1 month ago

• The two TE set with 1 RB and 2 wide flankers is one of my favorite sets. You spread the defensive front horizontally which really helps run blocking. Establish the run and play action becomes really effective.

• cardsman8 said... (original post)The two TE set with 1 RB and 2 wide flankers is one of my favorite sets. You spread the defensive front horizontally which really helps run blocki...

I think this team is made for the 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB set.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Mike White was an offensive genius in his day. Especially after having the benefit of following Coach Moeller. Unfortunately, it got harder to w...

The problem with White's 86 and 87 teams was he did not have a QB. The guy that was supposed to replace Trudeau transferred and he was stuck with Brian Menkhuasen. If George had gone to Illinois instead of Purdue, he would have been the starter in 86 and 87 and those teams would have had winning records.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Mike White was an offensive genius in his day. Especially after having the benefit of following Coach Moeller. Unfortunately, it got harder to w...

I believe having receivers that have good hands, run great routes and can block downfield will be the key to this offense, Mab. We know the OL pass and run blocking issues and based on those, and lack of a true "feature back" to carry the load and an OL that can consistently get to the second level on run blocking against decent teams, we need to have a lot of three step QB drops and few ball drops with quick releases to open up the running game and "ball control" passing game.

I think Ford, Navarro, Washington and Frenchie will be key to that being successful next year. And if BheBhe and Hightower can develop into deep threats....

• Any word on the return of Edwin Carter?

• orangez80 said... (original post)The problem with White's 86 and 87 teams was he did not have a QB. The guy that was supposed to replace Trudeau transferred and he was stuck ...

The guy was Jim Bennet and White made the mistake of promising not to "recruit over" him, ad he didn't. He just left us high and dry with no warning and without a good trigger a gun don't shoot. IIRC, Bennet didn't transfer, he just got tired of CFB and quit the game...

• PPBob said... (original post)The guy was Jim Bennet and White made the mistake of promising not to "recruit over" him, ad he didn't. He just left us high and dry wi...

You're confusing Jeff George recruitment with Jim Bennett , it was the former that made the ultimatum to Mike White. That pissed off White and took a QB commit (can't remember who)

I was at the '86 spring game and watched Jim Bennett shine above all the others. Everyone thought Illini weren't going to miss a beat at QB. Everyone except Mike White, knowing Bennett didn't care much for the classroom. When asked about Bennett starting, White stated he's got a good chance if he does his work: then meaning class attendance.

• illtex said... (original post)Illini would be lucky to have one TE who gets 40+ passes.With Ford getting most of few passes thrown to TE, not much PT or catches for Barker.

Why? We can go with 2 TEs, 2 WRs and one RB. Lots of PT for Barker, two big bodies to block from the TE position to help the running game and both with loads of ability and large targets for Peters.

• illtex said... (original post)The biggest difference is that Iowa coaches value TE's and Illinois doesnt.Iowa coaches require their average QB's to throw lots to the TE&...

Kittle wasn't all B1G at Iowa and now look at him! So yeah...

• cardsman8 said... (original post)Well, Iowa's next tight end AA grew up in the metro-east, was the second most prolific pass catcher in IHSA history, played prominently as a ...

Good for them. I wouldn't trade Ford straight up for the kid.

• wesalex said... (original post)Good for them. I wouldn't trade Ford straight up for the kid.

Yeah, kinda nuts to be talking about Hawks TEs seeing Illini have two good ones. See if Rod Smith is a complete OC this season. Nonetheless I don't see 40 or even 30 catches as some kind of must do.

This post was edited by DasIllini 1 month ago

• wesalex said... (original post)Good for them. I wouldn't trade Ford straight up for the kid.

Illinois didn't have to; could've had both.

Benefit of following Moe...what frigging kind of compliment is that?

You don't have to wait until who-knows-when to get White's opinion about recruiting Illinois. He said it numerous times in interviews. But he also said it can be done.

This post was edited by DasIllini 1 month ago

• DasIllini said... (original post)Benefit of following Moe...what frigging kind of compliment is that?

I believe what he was saying is that White was a genius in how he was able to transform the existing team— and looked to be even more brilliant following Moeller than if he had succeeded someone competent.

• The "West Coast" offense was a novelty back in the ;ate 70's and early 80's in both pro and college football.

It was pioneered by John Ralston who was the head coach at Stanford. White, Walsh and Vermeil were all his disciples.

• wesalex said... (original post)Why? We can go with 2 TEs, 2 WRs and one RB. Lots of PT for Barker, two big bodies to block from the TE position to help the running game and both w...

And we have done that when?

Certainly PT for Barker, but lucky if he catches 10+ passes entire season if Ford stays healthy. TE is just not featured at Illinois and certainly not for backups.

• illtex said... (original post)And we have done that when?Certainly PT for Barker, but lucky if he catches 10+ passes entire season if Ford stays healthy. TE is just not featured a...

I seem to recall that when Rod was first hired, it was reported that he had a knack for tailoring his offense to the offensive personnel and the skills they possessed. Since that time, it's morphed into Rod needs a highly mobile QB. Now it's said Rod doesn't feature the tight end. This year's team has a strong armed QB with average mobility and an outstanding TE. How he manages those two assets will tell us alot about his ability as an OC.

• illtex said... (original post)The biggest difference is that Iowa coaches value TE's and Illinois doesnt.Iowa coaches require their average QB's to throw lots to the TE&...

Yep, thats why Iowa doesn't get great WRs and it's a big part of why their offense isn't explosive. Their QBs and WRs are really the only thing that consistently keeps them from being really good IMO.

Iowa sucks, why am I talking about them?

• Very well said Bob. Need Peters to get 60+ catches out of Ford.

If tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it, did it fall? If Illini have very good TE, we need vg production to prove it.

• Illinois uses tight ends in the red zone. Barker was 18 catches for 273 yards (15.2 average) with 4 TDs. Not bad for the first real year of playing time. In scrimmages, Ford was a common red zone target. Iowa tight end Sam Laport had 15 catches for 188 12.5 yard average with no TDs. No tight end is listed as having a TD reception in 2019.

So much for stereo types about tight ends...

• Don't know if this is posted in another thread or not. Since the discussion here is about the tight end position I thought I'd post it here:

Daniel Imatorbhebhe, the brother of Illinois wide receiver Josh Imatorbhebhe, is reportedly leaving USC and hitting the NCAA transfer portal.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Illinois uses tight ends in the red zone. Barker was 18 catches for 273 yards (15.2 average) with 4 TDs. Not bad for the first real year of play...

In 2019, Iowa had not one but two AA TEs. Hockenson and Fant were so productive, they were then drafted in 1st rd. First time 2 TEs from same school team drafted in Rd 1.

Illini havent had All Big Ten TE in many many years and never had a 1st rd pick ever - Dilger was 2nd rd in 95, Hooman was rd 5.

• The stats are still the same for 2019. Stereo types... Yes, April of 2019 two tight ends drafted from Iowa making history because of their 2018 season. 2019, the great tight end machine fizzled by comparison.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...black-players-speak-program-racial-inequities

If true, stereo type and Iowa football may go hand in hand.

This post was edited by mabprudence 12 days ago