"Preferred" Walk On ?

"Preferred" Walk On ?

• Read about some kid that signed as a "preferred walk on".

What the heck kind of Orwellian double speak is this ?

Either you are on scholarship or not ...otherwise, the view is always the same - scout team practice fodder.

Someone enlighten me otherwise..

• Discussion
  • Rules provide benefits to the limited number of PWO players. For example, PWO can attend and participate in fall practices whereas regular walk ons can not. At Illinois a Preferred Walk-on is guaranteed a spot on the team roster and he doesn’t have to go through an open tryout to participate in early Fall practices after classes begin. A recent examples include Clayton F., Donnie Navarro and Dom Stampley. Hardly chicken fodder.

Furthermore, Illinois has had 3 PWO commit within the past 7 days. This is a necessary step to rebuilding a football program.

This post was edited by mabprudence 10 months ago

• mabprudence said... (original post)Rules provide benefits to the limited number of PWO players. For example, PWO can attend and participate in fall practices whereas regular walk ...

Thanks.

Sounds even more exploitative than the guys on scholarship playing without compensation. Not surprised that the NCAA sanctions this.

• I know! How dare the University give guys the chance to play football! I wonder how they twist their arms and force them to come to Illinois or elsewhere.

• They have several career advantages. They will get the chance to play, learn from coaches, make contacts, and use this to their advantage in the work world.
    Don’t PWO’s get to eat at team table?

Walk on’s don’t practice with the team in the fall?

This post was edited by SWIllini 10 months ago

• I understand NCAA stupid rules on walk-on meals to be: if walk-on purchased meal tickets, then he pays the difference between student meal cost and training table cost. I believe walk-on get practice snacks and beverages.

However I'm not really sure if rules still apply, but I recall a few years ago Rich Rodriguez was the most outspoken HC on the issue.

• I remember practice having to end early enough so that the walkons that lived in the dorm would have time to get back to the residence hall in time for dinner because they could not eat at the training table.

• jeffjanulis said... (original post)Read about some kid that signed as a "preferred walk on".What the heck kind of Orwellian double speak is this ?Either you are on schol...

PWO offered scholarship when one becomes available.

• I applaud all of the signees who choose Illinois; however, let's give the PWO's a little notoriety and thanks.

WR/KR Ty Lindenman (5/7" 155 lbs. Under 4.4 in 40! Under 4 in NFL agility drill. Over 1,400 yards in receptions. Considered one of the top receivers in Missouri. If he was 5 inches taller and 45 lbs heavier he would be a 5 star! He may still be better than Mercius Moore, Purdue signee.)
    WR/S Owen Hickey (6'3" 160 lbs. Average speed, great hands. As a senior caught 20 receptions for 325 yards and seven touchdowns. He may struggle getting separation in the B1G, but they said the same thing about Navarro. Had offers from Drake and Valparaiso.)
    WR/S Hayden Metcalf ( 6-foot, 165-pound from Prosper, Texas. As a senior totaled 1,110 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. A little above average speed (11.8 hundred) but great hands. Runs nice routes. 46' Triple jumper. Friend of Kyron Cumby. Had offer from Northern Colorado. Chose Illinois PWO over Arkansas PWO. )

TE/OLB Tip Reiman (Nice size 6'5". 225lbs. Average speed (4.76 40 yd.) Very hard to bring down for nice YAC. Nice upside after a red shirt so he can finish growing. Turned down offers from South Dakota and South Dakota State. Member of “11AAA” state champion O’Gorman football team. Reiman attended several of Illinois’ offseason camps, and earned a preferred walk-on offer from the Illini. This kid has some confidence in his ability to play B1g football. He is guaranteed a shot at tight end. But I have seen his film on defense and I see a potential to be special on the other side of the ball.) Rivals 2 star 5.4 reflective of his offers.

QB Josh Beetham (Pro style passer. Everyone needs one to run the scout team. Nice size (6'4" 215lbs.) Proven winner at the high school level. Above average athleticism.)
    OL Ryan Ingold (Proto type size for an offensive lineman. Not much difference between him and the scholarship boys.) Played on a good team.
    WR John Bickel (5'9", 170 lbs. 9th in 100 meter dash. Above average speed. Good hands. Reminds me of Dudek coming out of high school.)

LS Reid Regan Reagin played Georgia football and is a product of one of the new coaches efforts. He is ranked as one of the top 100 long snapper prospects available in the 2020 class. His commitment is a significant because one of its previous long snappers, Nolan Rossback, is transfering to Michigan State. I should put him in a separate category by itself since he is likely being awarded a scholarship from day one.

• Taking advantage of guys that have watched "Rudy" too many times....

• Like Don Navarro? 2019 27 REC for 345 YDS (12.8 AVG) 2 TDs 1 rush for 6 yards. Or perhaps you mean more like Clayton Fejedelem (NFL)?

• mabprudence said... (original post)Like Don Navarro? 2019 27 REC for 345 YDS (12.8 AVG) 2 TDs 1 rush for 6 yards. Or perhaps you mean more like Clayton Fejedelem (NFL)?

you name two guys out of hundreds...nice justification for the exploitation

• caseytee said... (original post)you name two guys out of hundreds...nice justification for the exploitation

I get it, but these players could've taken scholarships to other schools at lower levels too. If these players wanted a shot at B1G football, it's their choice to choose this route or not. Is there something I'm missing to your angst with a PWO from Illinois?

edit: Iowa and Wisconsin have pretty successful walk-on programs with players actually getting some serious playing time over the years. I don't have examples off hand, but I'm pretty sure they've had All B1G selections start as walk-ons.

This post was edited by PaytonHighstep 9 months ago

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)I get it, but these players could've taken scholarships to other schools at lower levels too. If these players wanted a shot at B1G foot...

I think you're right esp about Badgers walk-on program, they have a very loyal program, For sure Badgers had plenty of walk-on particularly at OL and Defense become solid Big 10 players or NFL draft prospects. Certainly Wisconsin's reputation for developing OLs was an incentive for walk-on rather than scholarship from non-P5 conference. Nonetheless If I recall correctly, a few years ago game announcers marveled on how Badgers had 8-9 walk-on at starter or depth player rotation.

This post was edited by DasIllini 9 months ago

• DasIllini said... (original post)I think you're right esp about Badgers walk-on program, they have a very loyal program, For sure Badgers had plenty of walk-on particularly a...

Yep. Most players aren't physically developed enough for the B1G right out of high school, so if they want a shot at B1G, then they have to take this route to mature. I've been reading about the Iowa walk-on program, which about makes me barf that I was wasting my time doing that, but what I noticed are 2 things: They typically are players from smaller high schools and they have a ton of physical maturation to do because many come in at one position and end up somewhere else. Shocking to think small high schools have players out of position (sarcasm), along with the physical and mental aspects of jumping up to P5, results in these players not getting offers from the P5. They do typically have offers from lower level programs, but again they are choosing this route.

• caseytee said... (original post)you name two guys out of hundreds...nice justification for the exploitation

Do you know what the word "exploit" means?

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post)Yep. Most players aren't physically developed enough for the B1G right out of high school, so if they want a shot at B1G, then they have ...

I know that barf feeling: Badgers OL gets a lot of press (rightfully so) but I love the way Hawks OL plays, and they play it differently then Wisconsin. Even though 2019 season the OL was far cry from Iowa standards, you don't have to be an expert to see the Hawks OL is a physical and well drilled unit that explodes off the ball in unison.

When a program can put a OL in the draft every year for last 20, (off the top of my head) they must be doing something right. I don't think Bucks can make that claim.

Just the same Illini used to b pretty good in that department, until taking a vacation under Tepper, Beckman, and This-team-isn't-built-for-running Cubit

This post was edited by DasIllini 9 months ago

• If you can play, you'll get on the field. Jimmy Marchese and Bobby Walker were two walk-ons who played a ton in 2017, and Smith handed them a Christmas Day present of a full-ride scholarship. That’s the reward that could be the light at the end of the tunnel for walk-ons.
    2018 Barrington linebacker Mark Di Iorio, Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley tight end/linebacker Bryce Barnes, Lincoln-Way East wide receiver Matt Judd, Brooklyn linebacker Ryan Meed and College of DuPage offensive lineman Chris Toth all had a chance to contribute. Judd has now transferred.

My personal opinion is that a program like Illinois does not have a realistic chance to succeed without a strong walk on program.

This post was edited by mabprudence 9 months ago

• If a walkon gets injured who covers the medical bills?

• namberw said... (original post)If a walkon gets injured who covers the medical bills?

"Typically, walk-ons are entitled to the same medical, training, dining, and equipment benefits as scholarship athletes. But occasionally, especially at smaller, non-FBS colleges, they're relegated to substandard locker-room annexes or denied access to the main training table."

NCAA Article on Walk-ons

Another Link that discusses Insurance

In the end, I don't think it's any different than high school athletics and participation. Parents insurance through work, private health insurance options, insurance exchange (.gov website), university sponsored insurance, and there is also catastrophic injury insurance programs through the NCAA.

• Mab: "My personal opinion is that a program like Illinois does not have a realistic chance to succeed without a strong walk on program"

Well, my opinion the term *program* is all encompassing: administration to AD to walk-on to fans. The notion program success depends on a single aspect is nutty.

• Say what you want but the walk-on program has been good lately at Illinois spanning a few coaches now some more than others.

It’s been excellent with Lovie as HC and you have guys coming in with legitimate potential All B1G potential like Donny Navarro.

Navarro is going to play in the NFL and they continue to get players of that caliber with the ability. Some bigger guys, a nice QB, some WR with very good skills including one who is lightening fast/quick. Very good players and they will get stronger and learn from some of the best in (In both departments) to reach there too. Can’t talk enough about they caliber they’re adding and continuing to add there.

This recent class is absolutely a home run walk on class with who they have added recently and it adds to this speed, size, talent and depth of the roster. Add Barnes and others last year. A+ for the program.

This post was edited by TrebT144 9 months ago

• If you don’t know what a preferred walk on is you must not follow college football too closely.

I’m all for it. Building depth.

• Treb and 3517, I agree that the walk on program is building necessary quality depth. In the past some of the local walk ons would have been signees at Illinois which would have likely given them the coveted 3 star rating. I like the 13 signees but I was disappointed that Illinois could not flip Doyle and a few others. On the other hand, the probable portal transfers are impressive, provided they 1. graduate for immediate eligibility or they change the rule in April and 2. they have the necessary benchmarks for admissions.

3517 you his a homerun when you said "If you don’t know what a preferred walk on is you must not follow college football too closely." You can add to your statement, that a program would be silly to commit to anymore Portal Transfers until the NCAA decides if they are going to grant everyone one time immediate eligibility on a transfer. Such a rule change will make a lot of fun, strategic movement after spring ball positions at almost every school. In my opinion, this may give a little bit of an advantage to staff's with pro experience of dealing with drafts and waiver wires. We shall see how the Orange and Blue fairs.

• jacktotherack said... (original post)Do you know what the word "exploit" means?

According to Websters....

"This noun is from Middle English expleit, "outcome," from Latin explicitus, "unfolded, set forth." The verb exploit means to use someone or something, usually selfishly or for profit. "

Sounds about right on target .....do you know of an alternate meaning ?

How are walk ons being exploited? IF they are decent, they get a scholarship. At worst, they are given a shot. Worse case scenario, they train with excellent coaches, get to put that on their résumé and go to UI. If FB and classes too much, they can quit team.