"Preferred" Walk On ?

"Preferred" Walk On ?

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)LOL.I love it. "I wasn't wrong......I just prefaced it!"Scheelhaase will win the Heisman. 2011 Illinois will go 12-0 and blow ...

None of those predictions were guaranteed. I simply erred on the positive side looking best case scenario (No injuries or nothing unforeseen).

The difference is now those seasons (Even with injuries) won’t be 3 and 4 win seasons that will pretty much be forgotten. They’ll be baseline years like last yearn where they won 6 games and they’ll be much closer to those national title predictions, largely (Mostly) due to Lovie Smith’s decision to come to Illinois and make them a national power. The building has been coming along and they’ve assembled the best team in years. Talented and a lot of depth. They’re still building, but this is a legitimate B1G contending roster.

• DIllini3 said... (original post)None of those predictions were guaranteed. I simply erred on the positive side looking best case scenario (No injuries or nothing unforeseen).The d...

Lovie coming to Illinois to make them a national power? Still the need to rebuild after 4 years?

Shirley you jest Mrs Smith?

This post was edited by illtex 6 months ago

• DIllini3 said... (original post)None of those predictions were guaranteed. I simply erred on the positive side looking best case scenario (No injuries or nothing unforeseen).The d...

You should take that approach to Vegas.

"$5,000 on black!"

"Sir, it came up red".

"Well, I never said my bet was guaranteed. I just suggested that there's a good chance it lands on black. So thus, my bet wasn't really a valid bet"

"Sir, that's not how this works"

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post)You should take that approach to Vegas."$5,000 on black!""Sir, it came up red"."Well, I never said my bet was guara...

Hilarious and spot on.

Before I die, Lovies rebuild will still be in play for some. Either that or Illini will have gone undefeated and pummeled Alabama 40-10 in Weed Wacker Title game. I wonder which is the more likely scenario?

This post was edited by illtex 6 months ago

• caseytee said... (original post)you name two guys out of hundreds...nice justification for the exploitation

Exploitation is way too harsh. People have dreams entering college and as a coach I would never discourage a young man from taking his shot. (I'm at best a 6.5 but married a 9.5 because I took the shot.) There are lots of advantages for kids walking on. They do get to eat at the training table. They get to practice against and compare themselves to terrific athletes. They make amazing relationships which probably extend deeper than fraternities. They make lifelong connections which may help them down the road. They learn the intricacies of Big Ten football in case they want to pursue a career in coaching. And, with the jersey, they may get the girl.

And a few of them do develop and have the chance to play some fun, meaningful minutes and eventually be awarded a scholarship.

There is a lot to be said for being a part of something bigger than yourself.

• caseytee said... (original post)you name two guys out of hundreds...nice justification for the exploitation

It is absurd to the highest degree to speak of exploitation in this context. I'm close friends with a young man who walked on at Northwestern – not even a preferred walk on, just a regular walk on – never got a lot of playing time – actually, I don't think he ever saw the field in a game – didn't get the benefits of a preferred walk on – but was thrilled to be part of the program, even in that limited status. It was something he CHOSE to do, because he loved to play football and wanted to be part of something bigger than himself. To speak of exploitation of walk ons, many of whom turn down scholarship offers at lower level institutions for the opportunity to play at a school they love, is just ridiculous.

Walk ons are almost always kids who grew up loving the program they walk onto, they are often kids for whose families it is not a great sacrifice to be paying tuition, and again, to emphasize because it's an important part of this, it is something they CHOOSE to do, usually with eyes wide open.

I suppose that if I accepted the invitation of some beautiful model to help her try on bikinis, if she wasn't paying me and wouldn't feed me lunch, you'd claim that I was being exploited. If so, I can only pray for more exploitation.

• It wouldn’t be exploitation but torture........

• SWIllini said... (original post)It wouldn’t be exploitation but torture........

• cardsman8 said... (original post)Exploitation is way too harsh. People have dreams entering college and as a coach I would never discourage a young man from taking his shot. (I&#x...

Good points, but I dont think Walkons get to eat at the same training table as 'ship players.

• illtex said... (original post)Good points, but I dont think Walkons get to eat at the same training table as 'ship players.

preferred walk-ons do. They even get tutor help when they need it.