Red Box Bowl Post Game Thread

Red Box Bowl Post Game Thread

• Staff did not put players in position to win. Par for the course!

• Discussion
  • Too many key injuries but this and the Northwestern game indicates that no corner has been turned.

• We got our 6 wins though. Let's all celebrate!

• The refusal to make defensive adjustments until late in the 4th quarter was mindboggling. Rushing only the front-4 was simply not working, and WRs were still getting open. They had to dial up some pressure, and didn't.

Poor adjustments. Poor clock management at the end of the first half. An excessively conservative mindset on offense for much of the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

Just a poorly coached game.

• Do we coach our DB's to stand flat footed until the receiver reaches them? Also, we didn't touch the QB until there was about 7 minutes left. I bet UC-Davis did better than that. And we didn't have injuries on D line, so what's the excuse? I'm sure the new DC will address all of this.......................

• Way to keep fighting. Peters left it all out there. That dive was crazy.

• audi1234 said... (original post) Way to keep fighting. Peters left it all out there. That dive was crazy.

Certainly.....hats off to Peters. I don't think effort was really the problem. The scheming and execution were horrendous, and that's on the coaching staff.

Fortunately, we had a terrible OOC schedule this year and will have another one next year, so we'll probably have little issue getting to 6 or 7 wins next year. Still, not convinced we're making significant improvements as a football program. Up sky high against a Wisconsin, and then lay back-to-back turds to end.

• I was afraid of exactly this when I read the lead story on this site about the wonderful “experience” they were having with all the sightseeing and touring around.

• Really old, and I'm getting too old for more of it.

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post) Certainly.....hats off to Peters. I don't think effort was really the problem. The scheming and execution were horrendous, and that's on th...

Fortunately? I mran that's how college FB works. It's not like making the NCAA tourney. We should have easy OOC schedules
  • This coaching staff is out of its league, This game had glaring examples of ineptitude that were seen all year.

With a month to prepare knowing the personnel that you had going into the game:

1. 3 delay of game penalties

2, terrible use of time outs at the end of the half that did not allow us a shot at the endzone

3. Not challenging the possible fumble

4, Not blitzing to get pressure on the QB

5. Overuse of cover 2 and zone when we were getting torched and not realizing it until it was too late.

6. We knew who we had and we did not give them a chance to win the game. Too conservative offense in the middle of the game.

Good coaching staffs dont make this many mistakes. Again, this was with one month to prepare against University of California. We are not even a .500 team.

If we dont get some real coaches who can instruct players and put them in a position to win, it will be more of the same.

This post was edited by Mofunparty1 11 months ago

• audi1234 said... (original post) Way to keep fighting. Peters left it all out there. That dive was crazy.

I agree!

• KPG108 said... (original post) I was afraid of exactly this when I read the lead story on this site about the wonderful “experience” they were having with all the sightseeing and ...

I don't think the lack of prep was really any different than most other games unfortunately...........Eastern Michigan, Northwestern, first 3 Q's of MSU, most of Mich game, disaster of defense vs. Nebraska, etc. After watching the last 2 games, I feel like the mid season win streak was fools gold - kind of like when Giorgi makes his first 3 of the game,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Stereotypic Smith coached game. Ten penalties. Three personal fouls. Three delay of game penalties. How many spearing penalties have we had this year?

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post) Certainly.....hats off to Peters. I don't think effort was really the problem. The scheming and execution were horrendous, and that's on th...

We are pretty much guaranteed to start next season 4-0. There will certainly be people asking to extend Lovie at that point.
  • audi1234 said... (original post) Fortunately? I mran that's how college FB works. It's not like making the NCAA tourney. We should have easy OOC schedules

Huh? We had -- and will have -- one of the worst OOC schedules of any P5 program. It's great for padding the schedule and getting 3 automatic wins, but doesn't really do much for getting the team ready for conference play or generating buzz.

At this stage as a program, might as well load up on the cupcakes until we can prove that we can beat somebody real outside of conference.

• It is obvious that Lovie owes Brandon Peters bigtime for transferring to Illinois.

Peters could have thrown for over 400 today had we simply been aggressive and thrown on early downs all game.

The key to next season is praying Peters stays healthy and designing the offense to maximize him.

This post was edited by bcosec 11 months ago

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post) Huh? We had -- and will have -- one of the worst OOC schedules of any P5 program. It's great for padding the schedule and getting 3 automat...

Exactly like you said in the last paragraph. I'd have to check the validity of your first paragraph. Almost every P5 teams has two extreme cupcakes. Then it's a matter of how weak that third team is. I don't know how much buzz you think is generated in OOC anyway. Who would we suggest we play and why when it's irrelevant for bowl purposes?
  • BRucksJr said... (original post) Stereotypic Smith coached game. Ten penalties. Three personal fouls. Three delay of game penalties. How many spearing penalties have we had this y...

Yep.

A few of those PI penalties were iffy but the rest just typical Illinois undisciplined football.

This post was edited by SirIllini 11 months ago

• BRucksJr said... (original post) Stereotypic Smith coached game. Ten penalties. Three personal fouls. Three delay of game penalties. How many spearing penalties have we had this y...

This wins spot on post of the day. Add in 3 yards and a cloud of dust till it’s too late.

• TO difference, all starting receivers injured, lines getting out played as well as penalties hurt. How different might this game had ended IF Cal’s TO on pass play had been called correctly?
    All in all, team is trending up. Baby steps.

• audi1234 said... (original post) Exactly like you said in the last paragraph. I'd have to check the validity of your first paragraph. Almost every P5 teams has two extreme cupcake...

As long as people aren't using cupcake wins as a case for retaining Lovie, I have no issue with it. We are guaranteed to start next season 4-0 so I'd better not hear any junk about how good Lovie is doing at that point.
  • TreThomas said... (original post) As long as people aren't using cupcake wins as a case for retaining Lovie, I have no issue with it. We are guaranteed to start next season 4...

There you go again, Tre. "I'd better not hear." GMAB

This post was edited by jms397 11 months ago

This. Read option worked early and then we never went back to it. Just the stupid RB stutter step handoff that any moron could see coming in 2nd half. Why the hell so conservative in a bowl game? Hell we threw a stupid **** flea flicker from Iowa's 20 for God's sake. Rod Smith is so overrated, and never seems to make very good adjustments at half...........

• bcosec said... (original post) It is obvious that Lovie owes Brandon Peters bigtime for transferring to Illinois. Peters could have thrown for over 400 today had we simply been ag...

Throwing between the 20's is nice Rod, but what about:

1. Deep throws. Only once? Seriously.

2. WR reverse?

3. HB Option pass?

4. Fake run, throw back to qb and then bomb?

5. Even a simple screen pass?

Was there anything top recruits saw offensively that shouted, "Hey, I want to play in that exciting, innovative, high scoring, unpredictable, and gadget play galore offense?"

On the other side of the line, are there any topdefensive recruits saying, " Hey, I want to play for LS's Cover Who?"

• NittanyIllinois said... (original post) Certainly.....hats off to Peters. I don't think effort was really the problem. The scheming and execution were horrendous, and that&#x...

Was it the scheme, poor teaching or poor execution? Sidney Brown was out of position almost every snap. It was like a basketball team p,aging man-to-man but one of the guys is playing zone.