Rod Smith needs to incorporate 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB sets next year

Rod Smith needs to incorporate 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB sets next year

• We have two really good TEs next year in Ford and Barker. Bhebhe at one WR is a big dude too, plus all three gusy can really catch the ball. It would be a ton of big guys to block in the running game, with Peters and whoever the RB is being options. It gives us another way to attack teams. 4 O linemen back. This team cold be real tough to stop. Look at what Indy did when Luck was there and they had two good TEs. Saints have also used it well this year.

• Discussion
  • Illinois better sign R. Smith with an extension now. Contrary to popular belief on the internet, he remains a rising prospect as OC. In the industry, many are giving R. Smith credit for developing Peters who only arrived for the start of fall camp.

Brandon Peters 11 games, 152/275 1884 yards, 152 yards per game 18 TD with only 8 int Rating: 128.60. Done while playing with wide receiver targets depleted by injury. The two comeback wins garnered national attention.

This post was edited by mabprudence 10 months ago

• mabprudence said... (original post) Illinois better sign R. Smith with an extension now. Contrary to popular belief on the internet, he remains a rising prospect as OC. In the ind...

While I get your belief in Rod Smith, I have questions why his offense disappears for long, long stretches during games? His offense against EMU and Iowa was bad and at times terrible. I question play-calling sometimes and I think he gets too cute or why they don't attack certain areas of the field at times. Maybe it's personnel issue like you alluded to with injuries, but even then, they had their horses agains EMU and they did nothing for nearly 3 quarters in the middle of that game. The offense lost that game. Iowa is Iowa and their defense is really good, but if the offense does anything, Illinois should've won that game. After mentioning Iowa, how do they incorporate 4 down linemen and a traditional 4-3 look, but don't get gashed by spread offenses? Is it a talent issue alone or is there schematic differences between Iowa and Illinois?

• Payton: I shared a few of those questions with the powers that be. The main criticism of the "defense" was that the offense kept them too long on the field. R. Smith attempted to correct this by longer snap time and running more even when the ground game was not doing all that well.

The problem with delaying the hiking of the ball is that is allows the defense to time their attack with a snap they know is going to be on 0. It also maximizes the chance of a delay of game. In sum, OC lack success when they deviate from what they do best. In R. Smith case it is hurry up attack offense with lots of QB

runs on RPO. Peters is just learning RPO. Nevertheless, I am convinced that if Brandon had run the ball more against Cal, a different result may have occurred. Anyway, the point of my post was that R. Smith is being looked at by other programs. Illinois has to decide what they want to do...

• I wouldn't shed any tears if Rod leaves. My only concern is changing horse midstream. and I don't know if Lovie knows or a good OC would join his staff.

When Illini gets the defense spread that looks like a vacant lot, not single receiver in the open. Sitting on mid-pass and all routes are mid-pass. Get a big play putting them to opponents 40 and follows up with 2 yard pass, with a team that looks better at scoring from outside the RZ. So much for coaching and play calling.

This post was edited by DasIllini 10 months ago

• PaytonHighstep said... (original post) While I get your belief in Rod Smith, I have questions why his offense disappears for long, long stretches during games? His offense against ...

Us not having our top 3 WRs and 4 of our top six gone sure made Iowa look even tougher on D.

• wesalex said... (original post) Us not having our top 3 WRs and 4 of our top six gone sure made Iowa look even tougher on D.

Iowa game is exactly what I had in mind in last post about Rod's shortcomings. It wasn't the injured players

• Illini need beef road graders on the offensive line. As long as RBs cannot get to 2nd level and beyond, ram goes nowhere. Iowa, NW and CAL fame showed offensive line weakness. Size on line is important but the ability to move the defensive is more significant. Until that is done, good defenses will force the passing game to win and not sure they can stop defensive pass rush.

• Do we really even have a fullback anymore?

• keen7447 said... (original post) Illini need beef road graders on the offensive line. As long as RBs cannot get to 2nd level and beyond, ram goes nowhere. Iowa, NW and CAL fame sh...

Com'on a lot of teams don't have "road-graders". If a program with good OLC and recruiting P5 quality OLs, it will have a solid blocking unit. The only thing I see in your argument is woeful Illini DC and OC.

• I dont think rod is bad but this offense wasnt your typical illinois offense. We had a good tight end, 3 very capable receivers, and two very good running backs. And still we completely and utterly disappeared at times. So I'm not going to heap praise just yet.

• DasIllini said... (original post)Iowa game is exactly what I had in mind in last post about Rod's shortcomings. It wasn't the injured players

Complaining that we had no receivers open and then saying that the fact that we had our top 3 guys injured isn't the cause makes no sense to me. BheBhe especially always got open and when he was covered, he was open.

• wesalex said... (original post)Complaining that we had no receivers open and then saying that the fact that we had our top 3 guys injured isn't the cause makes no sense to me...

Pretending you have rebuttal when you really don't is even worse. I don't expect to get much or even complete a pass when the play has 4 receivers running the mid-pass route. That easiest thing for back seven to cover. The whole idea behind spread offense is to spread the the defense.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Illinois better sign R. Smith with an extension now. Contrary to popular belief on the internet, he remains a rising prospect as OC. In the indu...

Im not sold on Smith at all. Running game stunk this year, RBs got worse, OL was mediocre when it should have been a strength, TE didnt get many touches once again, no 2nd string qb development, and offense wasnt exciting or productive at all. Did we have one all BT player?

Is he better than LS at play calling? Maybe so, but that isnt saying much at all.

This post was edited by illtex 10 months ago

• Not everyone agrees with your analysis, tex. This site ranked Illinois #11 in the nation with OG Kendrick Green – 79.3 (7th best in the nation.) Kendrick Green finished with the country's fourth-highest run-blocking grade among guards. Unfortunately at the end of the year Kendrick had to shift to center because of injuries. Illinois was 17th-best unit in terms of run-blocking grade and allowed pressure on just under 18% of their snaps in the passing game. ttps://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations

Whether one is sold on Smith or not may depend on remembering that his starting quarterback arrived on campus right at the start of fall camp. It also might be important to remember the injuries to play makers. (The list too long to elaborate.) Even discounting all of that, his team did end up improving to 6 wins. Ultimately, how we feel about R. Smith one way or the other won't really matter. Unless I am mistaken, his contract is up in February. Some of us are interested in what R. Smith can do over the next 3 years with Peters (2020), IW, Spann, and the Dallas Quarterback who has verballed but not yet signed. Alternatively, perhaps Garrick McGee is available to come back and prove his first tenure as OC was merely a fluke.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Not everyone agrees with your analysis, tex. This site ranked Illinois #11 in the nation with OG Kendrick Green – 79.3 (7th best in the nation.) ...

The QB problem is one that LS made. His OC's havent been very good at all. They havent recruited QB well at all. Whose fault is that? Trump's?

LS has finished yr 4 and still hasnt recruited competent HS qb. That is amazing. If not for Peters gift last Aug, do we win 2 games this year?

If Peters goes down next year, we are bottom feeders once again.

Took Rhule 2 years to solve quagmire at Baylor. he went from 1-11 to 7-6 in 2, but LS is now going on yr 5.

• Tex... There are several old school guys, like me, that now acknowledge that the portal for selecting a quarterback is the new norm. 3/4 College football final teams had transfer quarterbacks. Several teams are in the hunt for some decent transfer QB's this year too.

I agree that LS has made some mistakes. But his last two QB's via transfer have both worked out ok. Personally, I am critical of sticking with McGee and Nickerson too long. H. Nickerson just was not ready to be a D.C. McGee was simply overwhelmed and under prepared, in my opinion.

Baylor had issues, but they had a history of winning in a state where football talent is a dime a dozen. I hate to tell my high school Illinois coaching fraternity brothers this, but Texas, Florida, Georgia and California are loaded with a lot more (greater quantity of) high school talent than Illinois. Furthermore, Baylor didn't have Rhule for long. LOL.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Not everyone agrees with your analysis, tex. This site ranked Illinois #11 in the nation with OG Kendrick Green – 79.3 (7th best in the nation.) ...

MAB, I normally appreciate your thought. Your comment on McGee coming back is way out of line. No thanks. Yes, my sarcasm meter is on, is yours?

• SW, Yes sir, on and enjoying a Wednesday...

• mabprudence said... (original post)Tex... There are several old school guys, like me, that now acknowledge that the portal for selecting a quarterback is the new norm. 3/4 College ...

I readily agree about McGee and Nickerson, but Im not hoping for ok. Illini need really good QB, not ok. Peters is ok, last year guy was not ok as his passing skills were bad.

Both OC, DC were unprepared and unqualified for Illinois as neither had proven experience, success at college level for the positions they were hired for. Those gross mistakes were on LS who seems hell bent on hiring unqualified, close friends but at very high salaries. To think he tried to get his son promoted to DC is just another example of his cluelessness about staffing.

As far as Rhule not being at Baylor long, Ill take 11 wins anyday over 2-3 wins. JW disagrees, but that is why we have message boards. Baylor wont have problem finding qualified, young, energetic coach to replace Rhule.

This post was edited by illtex 10 months ago

• In my opinion, Peters is much better than OK this year and will be even better next year when he better understands the system. Furthermore, he showed at times, including in the bowl, that he has the potential to be able to run the football. On his dive, he showed that he was a lion.
    Nevertheless, you are certainly entitled to have an opinion based upon your own evaluation.

• illtex said... (original post)To think he tried to get his son promoted to DC is just another example of his cluelessness about staffing.

You're taking that to the bank. We know Lovie hiring Miles for DB and LB is a fact, but I won't give a plug nickel for the DC rumor.

• illtex said... (original post)I readily agree about McGee and Nickerson, but Im not hoping for ok. Illini need really good QB, not ok. Peters is ok, last year guy was not ok as hi...

Yesterday I heard part of an Ed Orgeron press conference. He said he takes pride in providing his players with the best coaches. My first thought was about Lovie and his son. Two different coaching strategies I guess.

• KillerKawolski said... (original post)Yesterday I heard part of an Ed Orgeron press conference. He said he takes pride in providing his players with the best coaches. My first tho...

Well to be fair it is way easier to attract good coaches to LSU than Illinois.

• mabprudence said... (original post)In my opinion, Peters is much better than OK this year and will be even better next year when he better understands the system. Furthermore, he ...

I completely agree regarding Peters. Without him, Illinois is at best 4-8 and Lovie’s seat is very hot.

I wish we could develop QB’s at Illinois, but I am fine with the portal.

We just have to make sure we don’t have another 2017, where we had no P5 level QB at all.

In retrospect, AJ Bush was probably better than given credit for. Not the best passer, but very good runner. We ran much better with him at QB, except for PU game in 2018.

• That might be the case, but that's not how it happened at LSU. Except for Ole Miss and interim HC at SC, Orgeron was DLC for most of his career. After not getting the USC job, he quit and sat out 2014 with no taker as position coach let alone HC. Orgeron was named LSU HC after interim simply because he was responsible for great haul of committed recruits and the program didn't want to lose them. Coach O was safe bet after LSU couldn't find the HC they wanted. In other words, LSU's good fortune.

Though at the time I didn't think Orgeron was great coach, I thought he would be a good coach for Illini. I wanted Coach O in 2014, and may have been available in 2015, but Illini can't see great opportunity when it exist.