Super Bowl Bears Have 5 in Hall of Fame, Only 1 Title ?

Super Bowl Bears Have 5 in Hall of Fame, Only 1 Title ?

• But only one Superbowl to show for it.....what happened ?

Dan Hampton (1979-1990)
    Mike Singletary (1981-1992)
    Richard Dent (1983-1993, 1995)
    Walter Payton (1975-1987)
    Jim Covert (1983 - 1991)

• Discussion
  • One of the dirtiest plays in NFL history sure helped.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wilIF30NLRU

• You got me reading about Charles Martin now. Love this quote from the ref who ejected him:

After the play, I took a hold of Martin's arm and said, ‘Ninety-four, you're out of game. I'm ejecting you.' And he pulled away and said, ‘I'm not going anywhere with you.' I looked at him and, tongue-in-cheek, I said, ‘If you don't come with me, I'm going to let the Bears kill you.' He said, ‘Let's go.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Martin_(American_football)

• Interesting to move this non Illini FB post to here, but nevertheless....

My take is it's not uncommon for a team to have numerous great players to achieve few, if any championships.

The mid-80s Bears main problem is the same thing that afflicts the team today - poor, ineffective quarterback play.

People want to blame ownership, and they do deserve some if it, but the real problem is that football teams are built from the inside out (linemen & linebackers) rather than the outside in (skill position players).

The mid-80s Bears did just that.

That's why you see so many teams draft QBs in the first 5 to 10 picks and they fail - they don't have anyone who can protect them.

• Football discussion goes on the football board (UI or not).

McMahon wasn't all world but he was good enough. Then he got hurt in '86 and they bring in Flutie who sucked in the playoffs. I forget if it was a 30 for 30 or something else but I was just watching a documentary on that recently and a bunch of Bears players are still pissed they started Flutie that game and think they'd have another Super Bowl if they went with someone else (I forget if it was Tomczak or Fuller).

This post was edited by nicksmithfanclub 10 months ago

• Another answer is they were led by an egomaniac and had tons of huge egos on the roster. Ditka supposedly was against players getting endorsement deals and then went and hawked every product in Chicago. Ditka himself admits he could have handled things much better after the Super Bowl win. I think there was just kind of a toxic atmosphere that existed in the locker room after Buddy Ryan left and the defense always felt resentful of Ditka and his handling of that situation.

• jacktotherack said... (original post)Another answer is they were led by an egomaniac and had tons of huge egos on the roster. Ditka supposedly was against players getting endorsem...

Along with players moving on too. A big piece of that defense, Wilber Marshall, ended up in Washington.

• The McCaskey's running the operation like a Ma and Pa store did not help matters either.

• That was probably a more appropriate commend in 1990. See any other players in the Hall of Fame other than those 5? Could that team have won more than 1 super bowl? Sure. But the 1961 to 1973 Blackhawks had 5 hall of famers and went to 5 Stanley Cup Finals. They won 1.

• jacktotherack said... (original post)Another answer is they were led by an egomaniac and had tons of huge egos on the roster. Ditka supposedly was against players getting endorsem...

Not another answer, THE answer, the SB shuffle, party party party so much talent so little time. Chicago sports seem like that a sometimes, not always, take the Cubs, wait 100 years, finally win a WS and go right back to the same cycle. Mark my words, all you people who are here 100 years from now you'll see I was right!

• Strike really hurt that team.

• justonetime_Scout said... (original post)Not another answer, THE answer, the SB shuffle, party party party so much talent so little time. Chicago sports seem like that a sometimes...

The recent run by the Blackhawks (3 cups in 7 years?) and 1990s Bulls (6 trophies in 8 years) not counting, right?

That being said a recent CBS Sports article compared the 2016 Cubs team to the 1985 Bears - loaded with talent, and wasted on just one championship. Cubs issue was spotty starting pitching and relying on the home run. the Bears problem was ineffective offense. McMahon, while not a perennial all star, was made of balsa wood. When he did get healthy, he could not get back into his groove before getting hurt again. That 86 playoff game against the Redskins was painful to watch. Two minutes before halftime Washington went into the locker room and the Bears still could not move the ball.

• The greatest of those HOFers, Walter Payton, was very much at the tail end of his career in '85.

• Jack was right. That's some of the biggest egos in Chicago sports history trying to fit into one locker room.

• thestilt said... (original post)Jack was right. That's some of the biggest egos in Chicago sports history trying to fit into one locker room.

Only won once, but also considered the greatest Super Bowl team of all time. Here is but one ranking that supports that, though there are many others too:

https://www.docsports.com/current/ranking-super-bowl-teams.html

Go Bears !!! and Go Dick Butkus... (the most recognizable Illini connection)

• orangeandbluerule said... (original post)That was probably a more appropriate commend in 1990. See any other players in the Hall of Fame other than those 5? Could that team have w...

The Bears on WENT to ONE Superbowl with that lineup...the hawks at least went to the finals, eventhough they did a Buffalo Bills in most of them

• IlliniBigDog89 said... (original post)The greatest of those HOFers, Walter Payton, was very much at the tail end of his career in '85.

He had over 2000 yards from scrimage that year, so yeah, at the end of his career, lol.