Way too early football question, how do you look for 2020?

Way too early football question, how do you look for 2020?

• I have no idea who is returning for you, but I believe your schedule looks manageable. In fact, I could potentially see Illinois winning its first 6 or 7 games of the season. Can you venture an educated guess as to how many games you think you might win in the 2020 regular season? Thanks.

https://fbschedules.com/illinois-football-schedule/

• Discussion
  • Well K9 the negative posters will tell you three. I can see us winning 7-8 would be a heck of a season for us. I guess I am a positive kind of guy. Being a long time Cubs fan you learn patience.

• Vegas will probably set the O/U at 5.5 wins

Think I'd go 5 unless the DL is a lot better than they figure to be

• This is about progression in year 5, then Illini should be competitive in every game, and if there is such thing as unwinnable game on schedule then I believe only the Bucks game falls under that label.

In Coach Lou's 2nd year we saw the transformation of Illini from 2015 to 2016. I expect the same and to be a big factor next season. Defense was still substandard last season, but improved a great deal. Should the defense trend continue it could be good enough against any opponent.

Illini offense returns in best shape since Lovie's hiring, and like Payton said, it's time for Rod Smith to show something in all 4 quarters.

Nonetheless I expressed my non-confidence and program's dismal lack of champion attitude/culture. I would not be surprised if Illini go win-less in league.

• How many starters are you returning? Any transfers coming in through the portal?

• K9Buck said... (original post)How many starters are you returning? Any transfers coming in through the portal?

If my count is correct, 7 returning starters on offense: 4 OL, 1 QB, 1 TE, 1 WR. In this unit another big play WR transfer would be the ticket.

On defense Illini have 7 returning starters on defense: 1 DL, 2 LB, 4 DBs. In this unit a couple of inside and outside DLs would the biggest. need.

• RB is a bit of a concern. Dre Brown and Reggie Corbin were by far our best at the position. I hate to say it, but Epstein is so often injured that we can't rely on him. So we're only returning 1 guy that we know about... the rest are question marks. Hopefully someone emerges as the clear #1.

• thedawson123 said... (original post)RB is a bit of a concern. Dre Brown and Reggie Corbin were by far our best at the position. I hate to say it, but Epstein is so often injured t...

Injury is always a concern, NW might have been a different game with health.

Of course it's a wait and see who emerges as number 1 and 2 RB, but I expect Reggie Love to be in the rotation mix, Clips of Love show he understands pass blocking; downhill runner with great vision that doesn't waste time. Not speedy but quick burst and physical, in another year or 2, he will be even more of a punishing runner

This post was edited by DasIllini 9 months ago

• Most reasonable expectations would be between 5 -7 wins, trending slightly more towards 6 or 7 then 5.

5 would be disappointing but not soul crushing. 4 would be pretty awful, IMO. 8 would be phenomenal.

My prediction is 7-5.

• I will have to wait and see who we get in the portal (if anyone). 4-6 win seems reasonable at the moment with our coaching staff

• Schedule is silly easy to start next season. Frankly anything less than 6 wins would be a massive disappointment and tremendous failure.

• JackIngramFanClub said... (original post)Schedule is silly easy to start next season. Frankly anything less than 6 wins would be a massive disappointment and tremendous failure.

I agree. Yet I still predict 4-6 wins.

• Epstein would make a big difference if he could stay on the field.

Bonner is the most known player we have at RB. Norwood and Sims have some potential it seems. Chase Brown is a possibility as is Love as a true frosh.

Anyone I’m missing. Any transfer possibilities?

• With all do respect, until spring ball it is so hard to see who will make a step up to fill the void left by Brown and Corbin. My educated guess is that Chase Brown has the best bet based on his experience and body type. Love is recovering from an injury and will have a learning curve. There will likely be numerous transfers in and out of the program this spring. Room was purposely left for the portal market. (I know some may say this doesn't excuse the low class ranking.) My guess it will be April before we have a good idea of who is likely to fill all of the positions of need and then it may still be mid fall training camp before we know who starts on opening day. Peters will lead and the team will follow. Note: Spann is light, but he is fast, shifty and Coach Smith's kind of quarterback. The 2021 verbal is a beast who will look good in Orange and Blue if he signs. (Look at his recent track video and you will see an athlete who looks like a linebacker and runs like a gazelle.)

Disclaimer: All of the above is my opinion. Similarly, whether the staff's approach to recruiting will lead to wins on the field is anyone's guess at this point. What I do know is the 2020 Illini will be faster and more athletic than the 2019 version.

• Illini3517 said... (original post)Most reasonable expectations would be between 5 -7 wins, trending slightly more towards 6 or 7 then 5. 5 would be disappointing but not soul crus...

I think your prognostication is a good one. My guess is that the over/under will be 6 or 6.5. I like the Illini to get 7 wins.

• SelfconFour said... (original post)I will have to wait and see who we get in the portal (if anyone). 4-6 win seems reasonable at the moment with our coaching staff

Barring decimating injuries, 4-5 wins would be a very disappointing result, based on last year's success.

• SelfconFour said... (original post)I agree. Yet I still predict 4-6 wins.

Why? Your schedule looks pretty manageable? Is it because of some key personnel losses that you don't believe can be overcome this year? That could certainly be the case.

• SelfconFour said... (original post)I agree. Yet I still predict 4-6 wins.

Sounds about right. If Peters goes down, will be worse with no quality backup once again.

• illtex said... (original post)Sounds about right. If Peters goes down, will be worse with no quality backup once again.

Don't be so pessimistic. Players improve significantly after their first year.
  • Hopefully Peters does not get injured. But if he does, IW, Matt Robinson, C.Taylor all bring something to the table. All three backups will be better than they were last year. In the ideal world, Spann will redshirt.

• Still eager to see Taylor given a fair chance. As for Robinson . . . not so much unless the improvement is dramatic.

• B10 championship vs. OSU in a game that could go either way. CFP sleeper pick.

• mabprudence said... (original post)With all do respect, until spring ball it is so hard to see who will make a step up to fill the void left by Brown and Corbin. My educated guess ...

I definitely agree with the last paragraph. You add 10.3 100 speed in Beason, 10.3-10.4 speed in Cumby, and others continue to gain strength and muscle explosion in the strength program (Many who came in with sub 10.8 100 meter speed.

Add Ford at TE with another year improved Daniel Barker.

Add Coleman, Newton and others at DE.

The lineup is insane actually athletically and now talent wise and people will realize once everything settles.

• mabprudence said... (original post)Hopefully Peters does not get injured. But if he does, IW, Matt Robinson, C.Taylor all bring something to the table. All three backups will be b...

QB is still a big problem as no real backup at this time.

Suspect IW switches position full time finally, and Taylor and/or Robinson transfers if they want to play qb in meaningful way.

Spann should definetly RS.

• illtex said... (original post)QB is still a big problem as no real backup at this time.Suspect IW switches position full time finally, and Taylor and/or Robinson transfers if they ...

Of course there is no true backup when you switch one to a different position and transfer the other 2 out, then rs the true freshman. Geez man, you do realize they've recruited all these guys to play QB and develop as a QB, not drive them away?

• QB recruiting has been extremely poor to say the least.

As we saw last last year, Robinson was our best option and it did not go well. If Illin i are to improve and win on consistent basis, it is paramount that Lovie, Smith enhance QB starting position and depth.