Populous

Populous

• Jeff Long said in an interview with the LJW that Populous was working on a stadium design. Zinger’s version of the Litter Box has been dumped for good. I just wish Populous had designed the Indoor Practice Facility. That place is the ugliest building on campus. I can’t believe KU and the hippie neighbors allowed that thing to be built.

• Discussion
  • What design firm worked on the stadium for Zenger?

• DrJamesANaismith said... (original post) What design firm worked on the stadium for Zenger?

HNTB

• DrJamesANaismith said... (original post) What design firm worked on the stadium for Zenger?

Found in an old article that the renderings were put together by HNTB from KC

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article231283628.html

• This is fantastic news! Can't wait to see what they come up with. Just hope Long can find a way to get the cash. Nobody else has ever even come close to that kind of scratch at KU.

• Unfortunately, it sounds like they are looking to renovated:

"Eventually, Long hopes to bring further renovations to David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium. At this point, Long said KU is working with the architectural firm Populous to determine what the renovated venue “could and should” look like.."

It should look like a renovation only if it is a complete destruction and rebuild similar UW's stadium. FWIW, it looks like they are capable: Populous

• Populous is the industry leader in this type of thing. Good news.

• MountOread said... (original post) Unfortunately, it sounds like they are looking to renovated:"Eventually, Long hopes to bring further renovations to David Booth Kansas Memo...

Wasn't it always going to be a renovation? I know they were going to do it in stages so the stadium was still useable.

• So how many seats are they talking about?

• Mauser said... (original post) So how many seats are they talking about?

Sleven

• Mauser said... (original post) So how many seats are they talking about?

Populous might have some different ideas so this might change but, the original thought was to reduce capacity to 47-48 k but, have more premium seating and seat backs rather than bleachers for most the stadium.

Capacity is already down to 48 and change right now due to that monstrosity in the bowl.

Originally the renovation was going to be done in 3 phases. Populous could have a completely different timeline depending on what they come up with.

I imagine no matter what we would see the field lowered, stands closer to the field, and the bowl squared.
  • MonsterMean48 said... (original post) Populous is the industry leader in this type of thing. Good news.

True but HNTB is no slouch. Arizona State's stadium looks great. Michigan, LSU, Kentucky have used them for renos and locker room enhancements. They didnt forget how to build/complete stadium renovations, they were likely just hampered by khakis and his grand vision to make it look like that dump in Manhattan.

• Read the article. It mentions a 5 year FUNDRAISING period. Holy *****, we are really still at least 5 years from even breaking ground on phase 1? FFS

• Get your checkbook out. Last statement I saw looked like they had $59M in pledges/donations. There have been mentions of an upcoming capital drive. The stadium might be a project that is a priority but they still have to find donors that want to support it.

I should find the thread where all of our “insiders” were telling us Zenger had raised all the cash.

• Thejayhawk78 said... (original post) Get your checkbook out. Last statement I saw looked like they had $59M in pledges/donations. There have been mentions of an upcoming capital d...

Low T/Adm/TacoJohns/Nightcape was always trying to tell us that Dockers had raised most of the money already. Not actually raising any of the money is bad now you guys.

• I donated my part yesterday. I really don’t think we can stand to wait 5 more years. Hell by then won’t Long be retired?

• 5 years? How can KU suck this bad? Oh ya...arrogance, incompetence, and corruption. Meanwhile, look at how much KSU has raised. It really bugs me that KSU is that much better at building a fb program than KU.

• JayBox said... (original post) 5 years? How can KU suck this bad? Oh ya...arrogance, incompetence, and corruption. Meanwhile, look at how much KSU has raised. It really bugs me th...

• There is no timeframe. Start selling out game and construction starts the very next day. Everything is contingent on demand for premium seating.

• If Populous is 1, HNTB is 1a. A complete demolish and rebuild would be dumb and of course was never going to happen.

• "Long said the goal was to raise $25 million over a five-year period, and he reported the athletic department already has surpassed $16 million toward that cause before the end of the campaign’s second year."

Reads to me that the campaign started a few years back and we only have $9M to go.

Not sure what $25M will get us (lowered field? Squared bowl?), but at least it's a start.

• konzahawk said... (original post) Jeff Long said in an interview with the LJW that Populous was working on a stadium design. Zinger’s version of the Litter Box has been dumped for ...

It is a 120 yard barn that is tall enough to allow long passes, punts and kicks. What exactly from a style perspective were you looking for? probably the same douche who starts half the uniform threads

• MountOread said... (original post) Unfortunately, it sounds like they are looking to renovated:"Eventually, Long hopes to bring further renovations to David Booth Kansas Memo...

Based on attendance at the end of the season, we should be able to work on half the stadium at the same time during the season. Then work the other half during the next

• Jhawkin27 said... (original post) True but HNTB is no slouch. Arizona State's stadium looks great. Michigan, LSU, Kentucky have used them for renos and locker room enhancemen...

Sounds like we are 10 years away from being close to the dump in Manhattan. Lol. By then they will have moved ahead.