2019 recruiting discussion

2019 recruiting discussion

• seeing as the 2018 class is mostly set with Loyer/Kithier/Brown/Bingham, and the 2017 recruiting thread was created in 2014 (!!!), I thought it might be time for some discussion on the 2019 class. as it stands, it seems MSU's top targets are, in no particular order:

1. Keion Brooks, 6'8", 5* SF, offer

2. Mark Watts ("Rocket"), 6'2", 4* PG, offer

3. Terry Armstrong, 6'6", 4* SG, no offer (from Flint, though)

4. Romeo Weems, 6'6", 4* SF, offer

given the positions we're recruiting at, it seems that some combination of Tillman, Bingham, and Kithier will be the foundation of our post play unless Ward sticks it out. at any rate, things can change rather quickly, new players will emerge, and more than anyone else on this planet, I trust Izzo. thoughts?

• Discussion
  • I would say Romeo Weems is the #2 target Rocket Watts #3 but 1, 2 and 3 are all very important or close to equal. I believe Romeo was the USA leading rebounder in their dominant gold medal run.

• Indiana now has 2 SF commits in 2018 to go along with 2017 stud Justin Smith, has to help our chances for Brooks unless he sees himself as a stretch 4 in college.

• DopeBro69 said... (original post)

seeing as the 2018 class is mostly set with Loyer/Kithier/Brown/Bingham, and the 2017 recruiting thread was created in 2014 (!!!), I thought it might be time for some discussion on the 2019 class. as it stands, it seems MSU's top targets are, in no particular order:

1. Keion Brooks, 6'8", 5* SF, offer

2. Mark Watts ("Rocket"), 6'2", 4* PG, offer

3. Terry Armstrong, 6'6", 4* SG, no offer (from Flint, though)

4. Romeo Weems, 6'6", 4* SF, offer

given the positions we're recruiting at, it seems that some combination of Tillman, Bingham, and Kithier will be the foundation of our post play unless Ward sticks it out. at any rate, things can change rather quickly, new players will emerge, and more than anyone else on this planet, I trust Izzo. thoughts?

Don't forget about Burke at 6'11 being a contributor in the mold of Goins going forward as well.

I think we have a really good shot at landing all 4 players you list.

• NoFlyZone09 said... (original post)

Don't forget about Burke at 6'11 being a contributor in the mold of Goins going forward as well.

I think we have a really good shot at landing all 4 players you list.

getting all four of these guys would be... just... i don't think the drooling emoticon does it justice

• I can't see all four coming to MSU...my guess is we get two of the four: Weems and Brooks.

Anyone know if true on Armstrong's grade issues?

• Saw somewhere Armstrong has some classroom work to do, any truth to that? It was probably a poster here, but only saw it once so thought I'd ask.

• bpmcgant said... (original post)

Saw somewhere Armstrong has some classroom work to do, any truth to that? It was probably a poster here, but only saw it once so thought I'd ask.

5 star Tyrese Maxey is on campus for a visit today. He came up with the intention to visit us today and Michigan tomorrow. Now he's spending the night at MSU and getting a tour tomorrow...shortening his visit at Michigan. Would be a great pull for Izzo out of Texas. Surprised he's not even on the radar on this site.

• spartan15msu said... (original post)

5 star Tyrese Maxey is on campus for a visit today. He came up with the intention to visit us today and Michigan tomorrow. Now he's spending the night at MSU and getting a tour tomorrow...shortening his visit at Michigan. Would be a great pull for Izzo out of Texas. Surprised he's not even on the radar on this site.

looks like an Izzo guard to me from the video I've seen

Read somewhere that Maxey's father is a basketball coach. Can only help Izzo in his recruitment.

• Try three of the four (Weems, Brooks, and Rocket). Now, their could be another scholarship made available to add a big to this class. That would be an ideal recruiting class.

• Vernon Carey, the #1 player in the country for 2019, is visiting for the ND game.

• Someone needs to clean up the state of Michigan players profiles. Terry Armstrong only top 100 player without a picture. Mark "Rocket" Watts has two profiles with one in the 50's (no picture) and one in the 60s (w/ a picture). They're the same guy!

• Vernon Carey on campus this weekend for Iowa game now. Taylor Currie from Clarkston was a u of m commit and had reclassified to 2018, but as of today decommitted and said he was looking at schools for 2018 and 2019... Any idea if MSU recruited him before he committed to u-m? Plays HS ball with Loyer and Kithier, would think that would help if MSU pursued

• corieblount said... (original post)

Vernon Carey on campus this weekend for Iowa game now. Taylor Currie from Clarkston was a u of m commit and had reclassified to 2018, but as of today decommitted and said he was looking at schools for 2018 and 2019... Any idea if MSU recruited him before he committed to u-m? Plays HS ball with Loyer and Kithier, would think that would help if MSU pursued

I don't think he is nearly talented enough to play at MSU. It was a shock when Michigan took him.

• corieblount said... (original post)

Vernon Carey on campus this weekend for Iowa game now. Taylor Currie from Clarkston was a u of m commit and had reclassified to 2018, but as of today decommitted and said he was looking at schools for 2018 and 2019... Any idea if MSU recruited him before he committed to u-m? Plays HS ball with Loyer and Kithier, would think that would help if MSU pursued

He is a reach.

I don't think he is nearly talented enough to play at MSU. It was a shock when Michigan took him.

I'd disagree, though I've only seen him play a few times. 6'8/6'9 pretty fluid athlete, and what, 16 years old probably? Thought he had flashes of a lot of abilities in HS last season.

• We get a visit and Carey gets a few predictions to Duke. Not the most encouraging news. Gaffney visiting was a nice surprise. Does this additional high end interest push Weems and Watts and others to maybe committing sooner?

• bpmcgant said... (original post)

We get a visit and Carey gets a few predictions to Duke. Not the most encouraging news. Gaffney visiting was a nice surprise. Does this additional high end interest push Weems and Watts and others to maybe committing sooner?

It was all the Duke 247 staff that CB'ed him. Since we are still a year away from 2019 recruits signing I am not sure even guys that seem like heavy leans or could be on commit watch will be committing anytime soon. A lot of the guys close to committing could also be waiting on decisions of players going to the NBA after the season (Ward, Jackson, and maybe even Langford)

Ideal roster based on how we sit with current targets and realistic scenario 2019/2020 season:

Point guards: Winston Sr., Loyer So.
    Combo guards: Watts Fr.
    Wings: Langford Sr., Henry So., Brown So., Weems Fr., Beverly Fr.
    Stretch 4's: Bingham So., Brooks Fr.
    Bigs: Tillman Jr., Burke Jr., Kithier So.

Bridges declares after this year
    Both Jackson Jr and Ward will declare by 2019

This post was edited by NoFlyZone09 3 years ago

• NoFlyZone09 said... (original post)

It was all the Duke 247 staff that CB'ed him. Since we are still a year away from 2019 recruits signing I am not sure even guys that seem like heavy leans or could be on commit watch will be committing anytime soon. A lot of the guys close to committing could also be waiting on decisions of players going to the NBA after the season (Ward, Jackson, and maybe even Langford)

Ideal roster based on how we sit with current targets and realistic scenario 2019/2020 season:

Point guards: Winston Sr., Loyer So.

Combo guards: Watts Fr.

Wings: Langford Sr., Henry So., Brown So., Weems Fr., Beverly Fr.

Stretch 4's: Bingham So., Brooks Fr.

Bigs: Tillman Jr., Burke Jr., Kithier So.

Bridges declares after this year

Both Jackson Jr and Ward will declare by 2019

I think it's more likely that we lose Langford early than Ward. Langford has ideal NBA size while Ward does not.

• victory4msu25 said... (original post)

I think it's more likely that we lose Langford early than Ward. Langford has ideal NBA size while Ward does not.

Ward is likely gone after this year. If you thought he was good last year just wait until this season...

Ward is likely gone after this year. If you thought he was good last year just wait until this season...

If Ward doesn't have a consistent jump shot and doesn't prove that he can guard the perimeter he won't get drafted. He's at least a three year player.

• It is more likely that Jackson goes pro than Ward. Jackson and Bridges this year Ward and Langford after their Junior year.

• rogero said... (original post)

It is more likely that Jackson goes pro than Ward. Jackson and Bridges this year Ward and Langford after their Junior year.

I was told to enjoy him this year because he's expected to leave. I think we will see all 3 of those guys gone this year. But you never know. This time last year Miles was 100% a one and done.

• So we are pursuing Trayce Jackson-Davis pretty hard now, as well. Also saw that there is a kid out of Ohio, Gaffney, that 247 shows us as "warm" on. Tons of bigger wings / forwards getting offered, probably because we're going to lose 3-4 forwards after this season (Bridges, Carter, Schilling, and possibly JJJ / Ward).

https://michiganstate.247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/Targets

• What would be the dream class? Carrey, Brooks, Weems and Watts?