What’s it like to teach in urban areas?

What’s it like to teach in urban areas?

• Discussion
  • Who got them shine rim
    Who got them shine shoes
    Who got that shine grill

• Whitewall said... (original post)Who got them shine rimWho got them shine shoesWho got that shine grill

Sorry you couldn't storm the Capitol
  • OPSpartan4 said... (original post)Sorry you couldn't storm the Capitol

?

• You're taking this whole one term/impeachment thing pretty poorly. Good.
  • So you are posting a "video" which is just an audio recording of a guy talking about an article written by one guy and that is supposed to enlighten us on what all black kids are like?

• Holyqow

• What the hell is wrong with you, Adolf?

• As someone who teaches in a majority minority school, I can't believe I'm dignifiying this with a response, but suffice it to say the "teacher" (?) comes across as a terrible teacher, a worse human being, and pitiful chronicler of what goes on in "black" schools and classrooms. I'll hit two points, in particular:

(1) About the discipline problems he details: I get the impression that he takes a few of the worst experiences he's had (assuming he really is a teacher and not a substitute or something) and pretends like classes are full of students that bad. They're not. The (mis)behavior also varies by teacher, of course. For example, students (of whatever color) will occasionally just crap all over some substitute teacher. It's a sort of a mob mentality. Experienced teachers, and especially those who are well-liked, do not have anything like the same kind of problems some beginning teachers have. Experience aside, there is also an element of personality. Kids -- I want to say MOST kids -- try to determine exactly how much they can get away with in any given class, and from that point forward they misbehave exactly to that degree.

(2) The social spending assignment he gave them (something about what the government can do to help certain communities; I can't remember the exact assignment). According to him, most of the white kids said cut back government services for the ne'er do wells (clearly, this was the "A" answer in his obviously conservative mind), while the black kids all said, supposedly, "Give us more. " I can actually tell you that this is far from the truth. Every year I give a research paper about the causes of poverty. I select and have the students read four articles from a more or less conservative POV and four from a more or less liberal one. We talk about the articles, look at a few PowerPoints that compare social spending in the U.S. to social spending in our peer countries as well as the social mobility rates for all of the countries in question, etc. Then I give them a couple of weeks or whatever to write a "well-crafted" research paper with citations. The thing that has amazed me over the years is how many of the poorer black kids adopt the conservative POV, claiming that poverty is caused by laziness and black culture and that government programs should be pared back to nothing. (I often wonder what they would do if they showed up at the cafeteria the next day after these papers were due and were told that, they'd convinced us, so they weren't going to get any more free lunches and needed to pull themselves up by their d_mn bootstraps). Obviously, I can't account for why so many poor black students suddenly sound like a FOX News channel personality when it comes to accounting for poverty, but I would guess that, as one student told me about a year ago, it's easier to absorb and regurgitate the conservative POV than the liberal one. To understand the liberal view of poverty you have to be able to factor in more than a kneejerk morality (i.e., it's all about character and personal responsibility.). Instead, you attempt to view the issue through the lenses of history, sociology, psychology, economics, etc. There are probably other reasons that explain why around half of my black kids take the "conservative" side of the argument, but whatever. My point is, the paper the guy was reading was reporting that most poor black kids respond to the question of social spending policy in a way that, in my DIRECT experience, is not the case. It's more like the way he assumes they would answer that question if he were actually (?) a teacher and had actually (?) asked some black students that question.

P.S.: I didn't finish the video. Life is too short.

• GreenMeany said... (original post)As someone who teaches in a majority minority school, I can't believe I'm dignifiying this with a response, but suffice it to say the &...

It’s Fishead. He’s calling people racial slurs in other threads.

He doesn’t want actual discussion. He wants to be racist because it’s his entertainment.

• Scruffy_the_Janitor said... (original post)It’s Fishead. He’s calling people racial slurs in other threads.He doesn’t want actual discussion. He wants to be racist because it’s hi...

Poor guy lives in Lapeer though so you can understand how he is angry with life.
  • Scruffy_the_Janitor said... (original post)It’s Fishead. He’s calling people racial slurs in other threads.He doesn’t want actual discussion. He wants to be racist because it’s hi...

Look at the posters here there is no discussion. Just false accusations and deflection.

Its the same childish crap.

• 262108420A said... (original post)Look at the posters here there is no discussion. Just false accusations and deflection. Its the same childish crap.

Well other than GM you mean.

• 262108420A said... (original post)Look at the posters here there is no discussion. Just false accusations and deflection. Its the same childish crap.

I'm not sure how your post doesn't fit into what you describe.

• faygo said... (original post)I'm not sure how your post doesn't fit into what you describe.

Do I falsely accouse posters of crap?

• 262108420A said... (original post)Do I falsely accouse posters of crap?

Victim card. Played.

Your post claims no discussion and childish crap, while the post itself is no discussion and childish crap. While others have called out the OP for his racist slant in describing education in urban areas, your post has nothing to do with the topic.

Yes, yelling racial slurs is totally the same as "childish crap".

You're quick to call out misogyny directed at your direct family. When things are targeted at other people? "Meh, business as usual around here"

• Scruffy_the_Janitor said... (original post)Yes, yelling racial slurs is totally the same as "childish crap".You're quick to call out misogyny directed at your direc...

I don’t post racist or sexist crap.

• 262108420A said... (original post)I don’t post racist or sexist crap.

No one said you did. Fishead is OP, on his 14th username, and he repeatedly posts racist crap over and over. You seem to not give two ******. Prove me wrong.

• LafayetteConey said... (original post)Poor guy lives in Lapeer though so you can understand how he is angry with life.

Why do you care so much about where people live? Its a little odd.

• Scruffy_the_Janitor said... (original post)No one said you did. Fishead is OP, on his 14th username, and he repeatedly posts racist crap over and over. You seem to not give two **...

I did not make it past the 1st minute of the video. But its interesting to read everyones comments. Which is probably more interesting than the video.

• 262108420A said... (original post)Why do you care so much about where people live? Its a little odd.

Meh, I'm just explaining to the board the root of Fishys rage.

You are the one who lied to the board about where you live. That's more than a little odd. Why lie about it? What's the point? Aren't you supposed to be happy with what you have? Your an admitted liar now. Nobody believes anything you have to say. Sad.

Time for another 26 mentdown?!

Look it's your credibility!

swirl

roflmao

roflmao

This post was edited by LafayetteConey 1 month ago

• Scruffy_the_Janitor said... (original post)No one said you did. Fishead is OP, on his 14th username, and he repeatedly posts racist crap over and over. You seem to not give two **...

Is Fishy still pretending to be black?

• 262108420A said... (original post)I did not make it past the 1st minute of the video. But its interesting to read everyones comments. Which is probably more interesting than the v...

What the ***** are you talking about. You responded to my comment on Fishhead and it had nothing to do with this.

Pretty much every day.